Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Longer wheel studs

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Longer wheel studs

Hello Forum,

I have 16x7 OE Steel wheels on my '08 DCSB Prerunner. I understand that by replacing my 24 OE studs with the Corolla/Matrix studs (#641-4208 from NAPA) I will have more threads engaged to better secure my new ALUMINUM ALLOY wheels.

But, if in the future I go back to stock steel wheels will I have an issue with bolting them back on?

The reason I am asking is because the 641-4208 studs are not threaded all the way down to the hub that it is pressed into. It has about a 1/2" smooth shaft before the thread starts.

I'm concerned that if I run steel wheels in the future that the lug nut will bottom out on the longer studs smooth shaft before it secures the wheel against the hub since steel wheel centers are thinner than aluminum alloy centers.

Thank you folks.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...=wheel%20studs

I dont know the exact one you need, but you can get a set of aftermarket wheel stubs that are longer.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
Hello Forum,

I have 16x7 OE Steel wheels on my '08 DCSB Prerunner. I understand that by replacing my 24 OE studs with the Corolla/Matrix studs (#641-4208 from NAPA) I will have more threads engaged to better secure my new ALUMINUM ALLOY wheels.

But, if in the future I go back to stock steel wheels will I have an issue with bolting them back on?

The reason I am asking is because the 641-4208 studs are not threaded all the way down to the hub that it is pressed into. It has about a 1/2" smooth shaft before the thread starts.

I'm concerned that if I run steel wheels in the future that the lug nut will bottom out on the longer studs smooth shaft before it secures the wheel against the hub since steel wheel centers are thinner than aluminum alloy centers.

Thank you folks.
Hey pm Hiatt1991,

i just helped him install longer wheel studs. But they were from a lexus. So the wheel studs were like 100 bucks.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
Thanks MWOAP!

I'll PM him now.
Got your PM. Here is a picture of them installed on my truck. They are ARP Wheel Studs part number: ARP#070-100-7715

Here is a Link to buy them. This is where I ordered mine. You will need 3 sets for the front because they sell them in packages of 5.

http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/100-77...oductId=747558

Old 07-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
Got your PM. Here is a picture of them installed on my truck. They are ARP Wheel Studs part number: ARP#070-100-7715

Here is a Link to buy them. This is where I ordered mine. You will need 3 sets for the front because they sell them in packages of 5.

http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/100-77...oductId=747558

what a pal
Old 07-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wow those are more expensive than I would have thought! I need longer studs.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Wow those are more expensive than I would have thought! I need longer studs.
Ya but its nice to have studs you wont need to worry about ever again. That and you get WAAAAAY more bite on the lugs themelves. You use almost all of the threads when using standard acorn lugs. Just nice to have the peace of mind I suppose.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #11

Yeah, im going to do it. Was planning on moving to a standard nut style as opposed to the covered acorn style as well. 5 sets should get all 4 corners done.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
AWESOME! Those would do just fine.
If I ever go back to steel then I can just run the open end lug nuts.
Plus, If I go with the 17" 6 spoke aluminum FJ wheels as opposed to aftermarket aluminum wheels I should still be OK with these studs because of the long "shank type" of the OEM FJ lugs.

tostidos, It IS more than I planned on spending so I can relate to your post but safety & peace of mind is definitely worth it.

Thank you MWOAP & HIATT1991.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #14
Chuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement: ICE - San Diego Field Office
Chuy's Tacoma Gallery
I bought this set in Jan 2013 and they are holding up well. http://wheeladapter.com/wheel_studs.php

Old 08-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #16
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what I did, replaced the front wheel studs with the Dorman ones that are a half inch or so longer.

123autoparts.com #610-463

Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
very nice. This Thread is actually useful unlike most of the threads lately.
A welcome change, right?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #20
13th wunder
chyknees will become famous soon enough
chyknees's Tacoma Gallery
Great info! Thanks guys!

With extended studs, are you all running open lugs? or any closed lugs fit?