Best diameter rims

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
jpop8807 is on a distinguished road
Army: Bradley Crew, 1st Cav
Name: Josh
jpop8807's Tacoma Gallery
Best diameter rims

I personally love how the 17 and 18s look on the yota. But a friend of mine said they are a waste. That the two popular offroad rims are 16s and 20s(full sized trucks) that you'll find allot more tire sizes and tires brands/thread patterns in these rim sizes and sometimes cheaper prices. I eventually want new rims. Should I step down to a 16? Has anyone else downgraded in size?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
The fuck
Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
jpop8807 is on a distinguished road
Army: Bradley Crew, 1st Cav
Name: Josh
jpop8807's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
The fuck
My talk to text butchered that lol. Now does it make a bit more sense?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop8807 View Post
I personally love how the 17 and 18s look on the yota. But a friend of mine said they are a waste. That the two popular offroad rims are 16s and 20s(full sized trucks) that you'll find allot more tire sizes and tires brands/thread patterns in these rim sizes and sometimes cheaper prices. I eventually want new rims. Should I step down to a 16? Has anyone else downgraded in size?
for tire options 16's are best unless you get into specific specialized offroad tires, then 17s are best.

20s were not meant for offroad, and most beadlocks designed for offroad are 17s.

I run a 17" beadlock personally.

Also keep in mind the smaller the rim the cheaper the tires usually.

16's will be cheaper than 17s and especially cheaper than 20s. 20s have next to no good tires choices.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Mhmm, for what it's worth I ran 20s for like.. a month. If you go offroad at all the will get ruined, I went to 16s for a while now I am running 17s. The 16s had major rock rash and chips from rocks, hills, obstacles, etc. Depending on what you do with your truck is the direction I'd take.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
20s lack tire options and are more expensive to mount / balance and purchase tires.

18s are ok but also kind of limit tires and tires are pricy

16's and 17s are the way to go. Go with 17s....
Old 07-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
Really depends on what you want out of the truck. For daily driver/off road warrior use, 16s or 17s will offer the best selection of tires and the lowest prices. With 17s becoming pretty much the standard for new trucks, tire selection and price has improved greatly in the last few years. There are some Tacomas on here with 18s that look just plain badass, and still have enough sidewall that I wouldn't worry about them off road. Personally 20s on our trucks are pointless and even considering them for a truck that will see dirt is pretty silly. There is just no way to get enough sidewall with a 20" wheel and the wheel well size limitations on these trucks. Sure they may work on fullsizes with massive lifts in the mud, or the mall parking lot but that is about it.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveology View Post
Really depends on what you want out of the truck. For daily driver/off road warrior use, 16s or 17s will offer the best selection of tires and the lowest prices. With 17s becoming pretty much the standard for new trucks, tire selection and price has improved greatly in the last few years. There are some Tacomas on here with 18s that look just plain badass, and still have enough sidewall that I wouldn't worry about them off road. Personally 20s on our trucks are pointless and even considering them for a truck that will see dirt is pretty silly. There is just no way to get enough sidewall with a 20" wheel and the wheel well size limitations on these trucks. Sure they may work on fullsizes with massive lifts in the mud, or the mall parking lot but that is about it.

X2