1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

spare tire question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 07TacoRidah, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah [OP] SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    Wondering if this kind of rim will fit in the spare tire holder thing (I am worried about the metal piece being too large for the replacement spares center).

1. simple spare (I have a 5 lug but pretty much same in a sense)
    2. spare tire holder thing (from a 2003 on this site BUT imagine it not bent and such ... and to a 2007 5 lug)
    3. replacement spare

now if that metal thing is too large for the replacement, how would/can I go about modding it so that it will work for the replacement? I have a spacer kit up front and I am unable to put on the OE spare (15" rim - spacer kit only allows for larger diameter).

CL_Picture 030.jpg
    P1000743.jpg
    00f0f_jhIU54pVn8W_600x450.jpg

2. Aug 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    You would probably need to cut up the end of the holder to accomodate the lack of a center cap hole, the wire doesn't have to come through a center hole, you could maybe run it through one of the lugs holes and have some sort of custom setup on the other side to pull on the rim.

3. Aug 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    would I have luck fabbing up a small bar that will fit through the hole? I'm not exactly sure how the holder and spring are being held to the wire dealie. I see something on there but I'm praying mine is similar enough for me to mod. Other than that no other way unless I put in one that will specifically work with the rim huh? :(

4. Aug 15, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    hope this rendering makes sense.

P1000743.jpg

5. Aug 15, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    Juan Solo

Juan Solo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4
    "This" appears to be the rusted nut that holds the spring up. You will need to keep that spring on to keep tension on your tire. Some modification will definitely be needed for that spring and rusted-ass bar to fit through the hole on the new wheel.

6. Aug 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Forgot how it looks on the 07 but I'm hoping mine won't be complicated. If there is a nut holding the spare tire holder, is there a way to take it off or once it's on it's on that's that? I was thinking of putting on a thick metal bar that I can get through the center of the replacement spare but not sure if I can find one that is thick enough (has to be small enough to get through the center but strong enough to hold the spare tight like it would if it was OE). Also realized I would need something to keep the spare centered (ergo the specific shape the carrier has).

7. Aug 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    You're not going to want to put that alloy under the rear.
    It'll get trashed, nobody can see it, and even with a spring, there's going to be movement of whatever bar arrangement you can rig to hang it from the cable. The whole point of having a matching spare will be moot because the alloy spare will look like shit within a week.

Just get a steel replacement of the same size as your alloys and put the same tire on it.

8. Aug 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
  9. Aug 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    that's the hard part, not sure where to get an 18" steelie that will fit a 5 lug. :( I think the Charger is the closest (sp) but even at that I would have to get a hub centric spacer for it to fit.

DAMMN MY CUSTOM NEEDS !!!!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  10. Aug 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
  11. Aug 16, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    don't know. Will get a snap shot of how close the spindle bolt is to the rim. for the spare, i don't really care about matching. was going to paint it all black (powder coat no dipping this one lol). I'm more worried about just having a spare when I need it and not having to go through a hassle if I end up with a flat up front (happened already - basically the front is a no go for my OE spare. So what i had to do was grab a rim from the rear, put up front, and use spare on the back - back only has OE drum brakes so no worries about clearance issues).

Probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask this anyway. One day driving a friends Escalade home, his spare fell from under the vehicle while I was on the road (thankfully it was VERY late at night AND the road was clear). For me, I assume the spare was NOT put in right and by that I mean by when you have the spare on the carrier cable holder, your facing the front of the rim to the floor of the vehicle and NOT toward the ground (which is why I assume the spare from the Escalade fell off).

Am I right about this? or it doesn't matter?

12. Aug 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Orientation doesn't matter on the Tacoma. Most people flip the spare on the Taco to make it easy to check/fill the spare.
    On my '06 Silverado it didn't matter either... not sure how the Esky spare is retained.

The issue on the Tacoma is that the part you pictured above rusts out and bends (like the one you pictured) allowing the wheel to fall.

If only for that reason, I wouldn't want to fuck with that part at all, or try to fabricate a replacement. There's a lot of liability if the thing fails and causes an accident.

What size tires are you running on the 18's? That steel 17 should fit unless your spindle spacers are WAY longer than an inch... that wheel is 2" larger than stock, so the inside of the rim will be an inch farther away from the bottom of the spindle.
    How much clearance do you have on your 18s? You're only looking at 1/2" less, plus the steelies are thinner than the alloys so you've actually got a bit more.

Products Discussed in

To Top