1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to reset the TPMS

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by SamSin, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Aug 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    SamSin

SamSin [OP] I can resist everything except temptation

Member:
    First Name:
    Jersey Sam
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Longbed 4x4 SR5
    Oil Free AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, Nitrogen filled tires, Tonno Pro Tri-Fold Hard Tonneau Cover BLU Logic Handsfree
    To all those who have a problem with their tire pressure sensor dash light.

My TPMS would not go out no matter what I did. I figured I would give it one more try as a last resort. It might be worth a try before taking the dash apart and cutting any wires.

1. Turn the ignition on, push the TPMS switch until the light goes out.

2. Turn the ignition off

3. Turn the ignition back on and even though the light is out . . . hold the TPMS switch until the Tire Pressure light flashes 3 times and shut the ignition off again.

My TPMS light would come on exactly at 2 miles every time I reset the switch for over a year. I drove for 10 miles after doing the above and it did not come back on since the reset. [​IMG]

I hope this post helps.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. Aug 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    Jon850FL

Jon850FL is Lurkin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFS, FL
  3. Aug 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco
    Just a few little things. It's my DD
    I will try this on my '12

4. Aug 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    If you put the right amount of air into the tires the light goes off. I found even if the tires are off by a PSI or two the light will still be on.

I found the sensors to be more of a pain in the ass then what they're worth. You should rely on your own maintenance tools(tire gauge, compressor) then what the dealer gives you. I don't have TPMS in my winter tires and rims. I check the air every time I fill up anyways. Yeah! The light stays on all winter but with all the influx of weather in where I live, there's no point to relying on the TPMS.

To me, TPMS is no different then "Blind Spot Monitoring", and a vehicle that can park itself. Do you think that someone should be driving if you can't check your blind spots and park your car without assistance(basic rules of driving)? It's the same thing as doing something so small as checking the air in your tires(basic car maintenance).

5. Aug 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    SamSin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jersey Sam
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Longbed 4x4 SR5
    Oil Free AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, Nitrogen filled tires, Tonno Pro Tri-Fold Hard Tonneau Cover BLU Logic Handsfree
    I do have my own 220v air compressor, air gauges, and air attachments as I do most of my own work. Even with the digital air gauge and all tires adjusted in the morning at exactly the same pressure it didn't go out.

I don't rely on the TPMS as I check my tires every Saturday or Sunday, along with the oil, trans fluids etc. That's why it didn't really bother me that the light was on, just a PIA of having it lit up at night and the reason I was going to cut the wire.

Thankfully it went out and has stayed out after I did the on/off routine and saved me the effort of taking the truck apart, especially on a beautiful day that I would rather be out for a drive.

6. Aug 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    SamSin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jersey Sam
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Longbed 4x4 SR5
    Let me know if that worked out for you Millertime.

Curious if it worked for you, a friend told me to try it and I am glad I mentioned to him.

Like I said it worked for me, and if it helps anyone else from going to the dealer and spending their hard earned money, or taking their truck apart to cut wires I'm glad I was able to help out.

7. Aug 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Without having the sensors anywhere near my truck at the time, the light would not go out. I'll give it another try when I get to work in the a.m. and have my sensors. I don't think the point of this thread was exactly what I just tried, but I thought I'd throw my results out there anyway.

8. Aug 19, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    SamSin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jersey Sam
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Longbed 4x4 SR5
    As an update, I have put over 70 miles on the speedometer since the reset and the TPMS light has not come on.

The light kept coming on for a year after I had purchased new tires. As I stated earlier, every time I reset the tire pressure switch after 2 miles it would come on again.

It wasn't the switch not working that bothered me, it was the light being on while driving at night. I don't know if the TPMS works or not after doing the reset, but I don't care, the light is out.

"Who is more foolish, the child afraid of the dark or the man afraid of the light? " ~Maurice Freehill

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  9. Mar 3, 2015 at 5:10 PM
    SamSin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jersey Sam
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Longbed 4x4 SR5
    As an update . . 30,000 miles later and the light still has not come back on!

deanosaurus likes this.
  10. May 16, 2020 at 5:37 AM
    HarleyRK

HarleyRK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma crew cab 4x4
    none yet
    Did not work for me, but I’ll give it another try tomorrow. I check my air pressure weekly but I just don’t like idiot lights flashing

Products Discussed in

To Top