Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Asked for BFG AT 265/70R17 load C, got load E. What to do?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
thegrandpoohbah is on a distinguished road

thegrandpoohbah's Tacoma Gallery
Update: I've driven about 80kms on them and I think I'm going to keep the E's. It actually feels like I'm driving a truck now, not an overweight Camry. The stock Dunlops were WAY too soft and squishy for my liking. Now I just have to save up for a lift and then the ARB bumper.

Question: how many PSI should I run these at for normal everyday driving? The shop set them at 29 PSI which seems really low.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #22
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
you're right, 29psi is far too low. i'd start at 40psi and do the chalk test.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #23
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.
LukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: luke
LukeBo4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know why people say E loads suck on tacomas. I went from C load to E load tires and in my opinion the E loads ride a lot better.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #24
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
For you guys running 275/70r17 "E" rated tires, are you experiencing any power loss? I have had BFG AT's in 265/75r16 E on OEM steel wheels for 1.5 years.

I am looking at getting either:
265/70r17 BFG AT's C or
275/70r17 BFG AT's E.
for my 6 spoke alloy FJ wheels & eventually my SCS Stealth 6 wheels when they come in.

The 275 is 8lbs heavier (per tire) & 1/2 taller/wider. I do mild off-roading/mudding & I tow a 21' 4600lb boat (total weight with trailer) about once a month. Should I go with the 275's or 265's.

FYI, My wife & I drove to Atlanta (10.5 hour trip each way) & she was fine & slept most of the way. The ride is firm but not bone jarring.

I also have Billies with the fronts @ 1.75 & 3 leaf AAL on OEM 3/1 leafs.

I/m just worried that going to a 275/70r17 may ber overkill.

Also, I am running 32 PSI & with 18,000 miles these BFG's have even wear.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #25
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I like my 275/70/17 Hankook ATm's , I didn't notice any power loss when I switched to them from E rated 265/70/17 Hankook MT's
Old 09-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #26
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Do the chalk test. That'll determine what psi to run it at. Remember that load E tires go on one ton diesels. At 40psi it's going to feel like the flintstone car attempting the hammers.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
FATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Artillery! Boom
Name: Friends call me Ginger
FATaco's Tacoma Gallery
There would never be any reason to run them at 40psi unless you are carrying a load. I always run load range E on my 285 BFG's at around 30-32psi. Remember, the sidewall is stiffer as you have already noticed, so you should be able to run a normal pressure. The 10 ply will also probably last you longer if you keep them rotated. I do mostly highway and usually get between 65-75000 miles out of a set. I rotate religiously around 5-6000 miles. This is my 2nd set on this truck and I'm at around 40,000 mi with plenty of tread to go.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #28
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know OZ-T. You going from 265/70r17 to 275/70r17's is the same as me going from 265/75r16 to 275/70r17's.

FATaco, that is exactly how I rotate my tires & keep my PSI. As you said, stiffer sidewall on a light truck doesn't need such high PSI. Yes, they do last long. I was initially waiting to wear down my 16's before going to 17's but I can't wait so I am selling my 16's
Old 10-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #29
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
I was running 265/75/R16 BFG AT KO on my 2004 TRD 4x4 and it was REALLY fun to drive. I miss it already. I put 265/70/R17 BFG AT KO on my 2008. They are actually the same diameter almost exactly, but handle smoother than the other truck. Not sure if this is just the way the TRD Sport is yet.

But I head down to Mexico and like to find places to hike that are far from civilization. I can't conceive of a situation where I'd want a weaker tire when I'm in the middle of nowhere on my own.