Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

High speed A/T tires?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
High speed A/T tires?

My Duratracs are starting to ware out... around 10,000ish left on them im guessing. I am wanting to keep the same size but i need a higher speed rating. I want to take my pickup to the track and do a 1/4mi run but my P(93mph) rated tires scare me.

What I have:
285/75/16 duratracs
URD SC stage 3
P(93mph) rated

What I want:
33" equivalent
Higher than P rated
A/T close to duratracs
Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper ATP
Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJDub View Post
Cooper ATP
55,000 and 106mph

looks more street than A/T not bad tho
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty tough to find for sure. My buddy never really had any luck finding anything for his race truck. Ran Nitto terra and dune grapplers in 285/70R17. Neither had even close to the speed rating he needed. What times/speeds are you expecting to see out of a 1/4? Sick truck, you have a build thread?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
my bfg's did good at 115mph
Old 09-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly wouldn't worry about it much for 1/4 mile stuff. The speed rating is more for holding up at that speed for long periods. Even with a seriously built truck you're not going to be spending long over 90. If you were going to do standing mile runs that would be another thing. But if you're wanting to go fast on pavement just about any truck tire is going to be out of it's element.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
TrooperJoe is a name known to allTrooperJoe is a name known to allTrooperJoe is a name known to allTrooperJoe is a name known to allTrooperJoe is a name known to allTrooperJoe is a name known to all
TrooperJoe's Tacoma Gallery
guys.. be careful regarding high speeds on some of these tires.... the speed rating is formulated by the manufacturer testing the tire at a given speed for 5 minutes until tire failure....

so if you have a tire thats rated at 100 mph, it means that the tire will be garunteed to survive that speed for no longer than 5 min.

I work for the department of public safety and literally just learned this in a tire class we had about 3 weeks ago.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
'merica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperJoe View Post
guys.. be careful regarding high speeds on some of these tires.... the speed rating is formulated by the manufacturer testing the tire at a given speed for 5 minutes until tire failure....

so if you have a tire thats rated at 100 mph, it means that the tire will be garunteed to survive that speed for no longer than 5 min.

I work for the department of public safety and literally just learned this in a tire class we had about 3 weeks ago.
Great information right there. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperJoe View Post
Not correct: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...UpgradeII.html

Getting back to OP's question, pretty much any other tire will have a higher speed rating.

The Hankook Dynapro ATM I'm running has a T speed rating like OEM, good for 118 mph and matched with the truck's speed limiter.