Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Need opinion on which Pro Comp rims to buy

View Poll Results: Which Rims Shall I Buy??
Pro Comp 7069 Alloy Wheels 43 62.32%
Pro Comp 98 Rock Crawlers 0 0%
Pro Comp 52 Rock Crawlers 16 23.19%
Leave Em Stock 5 7.25%
Other - Please Specify/Give Picture Examples 5 7.25%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Need opinion on which Pro Comp rims to buy

I'm having one heck of a time deciding on what rims to buy.
Looking to get 16" rims.
I know I want black wheels and like the look of the 3 from Pro Comp below:

Pro Comp 7069 Xtreme Alloy Wheels

Pro Comp 98 Rock Crawlers

Pro Comp 52 Rock Crawlers

and this is what I'm working with:

Any and all suggestions will be taken, thank you
The rear will be raised 3-4" when my All Pro Expo Leafs come this week
So don't mind the temporary bro lean.

Again, THANKS!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I liked the 7069's the best.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
voted for 52 out of those choices.

these are still may favorite yota rims though:
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay21 View Post
I liked the 7069's the best.
Yeah when I saw them on w00dy's 2003 Tacoma, they do look nice
Here's the link to his build so y'all can see what they look like on a Taco:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...way-queen.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
voted for 52 out of those choices.

these are still may favorite yota rims though:
I like the 52s as well, and I'm not crazy about the look of that Yota rim. It looks too "stock". I like more of the 4x4 look
Old 08-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
Yeah when I saw them on w00dy's 2003 Tacoma, they do look nice
Here's the link to his build so y'all can see what they look like on a Taco:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...way-queen.html

I like the 52s as well, and I'm not crazy about the look of that Yota rim. It looks too "stock". I like more of the 4x4 look
They did come stock on yota 4x4's .

52's it is then
Old 08-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #6

Quote:
They did come stock on yota 4x4's .

52's it is then
ohhhhh that makes more sense lol.
Uh uh uh, not so fast.
Gotta wait for the day-TW surfin' crowd to get their votes in.
My next dilemma will be 32 or 33 BFG All-Terrains
Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ohhhhh that makes more sense lol.
Uh uh uh, not so fast.
Gotta wait for the day-TW surfin' crowd to get their votes in.
My next dilemma will be 32 or 33 BFG All-Terrains
Me too

Will probably go with 32 since I can't afford to regear and don't want to turn the truck into a turd
Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
I would avoid the center caps on the 7069. I've already had to replace too because they will come out/ chip paint/ and the very center part will get all melted.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Two* and this was on my rims which are 3 years old now, so I suppose they could have upgraded them
Old 08-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Me too

Will probably go with 32 since I can't afford to regear and don't want to turn the truck into a turd
Hm, yeah that's what I was gonna start researching, you lose that much power with 33s huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
I would avoid the center caps on the 7069. I've already had to replace two because they will come out/ chip paint/ and the very center part will get all melted.
Replace two center caps? I feel like it would look pretty good without center caps as well..?

I'm also curious as to what the center caps alone will set me back if I do so happen to go with the 7069s?

And lastly... how the heck do they melt?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hm, yeah that's what I was gonna start researching, you lose that much power with 33s huh?
Consensus seems to be it sucks with a standard. It's somewhat better with the auto. Most folks seems to agree there's not a big difference going 265/75r16 or 235/85r16 (just shy of 32") from stock. That's what I'm leaning towards doing.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Consensus seems to be it sucks with a standard. It's somewhat better with the auto. Most folks seems to agree there's not a big difference going 265/75r16 or 235/85r16 (just shy of 32") from stock. That's what I'm leaning towards doing.
Well that's no bueno considering I have a 5-speed.
Those are pretty much identical tires except the 265s are 1.18" wider.

So why not just go with the 265s since those seem to be a more widely used tire?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #13
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well that's no bueno considering I have a 5-speed.
Those are pretty much identical tires except the 265s are 1.18" wider.

So why not just go with the 265s since those seem to be a more widely used tire?
Because expo.

Also:

http://www.expeditionswest.com/resea...tion_rev1.html
Old 08-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
I like stock, but i'm probably the only one.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Hmm. Very interesting, that's definitely something that I never thought about...
Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm. Very interesting, that's definitely something that I never thought about...
Happy to help

Some folks don't like the pizza cutter look. 235/85's are what i am probably going to put on my truck once my current tires wear out. Think 255/85r16's will be too much without a regear.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
I like stock, but i'm probably the only one.
Don't get me wrong, I do like certain stock rims, I would hunt these ones down and do the same as this guy with the gunmetal grey:
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Happy to help

Some folks don't like the pizza cutter look. 235/85's are what i am probably going to put on my truck once my current tires wear out. Think 255/85r16's will be too much without a regear.
What's involved in a regear? Sounds like more of a PITA than it's worth...
Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #19
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's involved in a regear? Sounds like more of a PITA than it's worth...
In short: it will cost you $500 - $1500 depending on deals / if you do it yourself / etc. Personally, I am handy and have done every form of regular yota maintenance, but i think a regear is beyond my skill-level. YMMV
Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #20
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
And here's a writeup on gears
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...r-writeup.html