Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Issues after getting new wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Surg03 is on a distinguished road
Surg03's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Issues after getting new wheels

Purchased these wheels on Craig's list and paid a mechanic to balance and install them. My stocks were 16"/7rim with 245/75/16 tires, the ones I purchased were 16"/8 rim with 245/75/16 tires. After mechanic was done I started driving and the rear wheels wobble and front tires rub when I turn and my breaks are acting weird like a bounce or something. I would realy appreciate it if you guys can help, all I wanted was to make my 06 pre runner look better, now I have a mess! Please help!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Surg03's Tacoma Gallery
Also the front wheels had 1.25" spacer adapters since the calipers hit, don't know if that has something to do with the rear wheels wobbling.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Start every day with a smile and get it over with
Flynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: K9
Name: Ron
Flynbyu2's Tacoma Gallery
There are ways you could make them work(spacers, etc...), but in the end it's not worth the risk.

I'd eat the mounting/balancing charge, put your stock wheels back on and put the new wheels back on Craigslist.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Surg03's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

You think I got shafted on the wheels on Craig's list? If the wheels were balanced wouldn't the mechanic notice there is something wrong before he mounted them?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Mailman is a jewel in the roughMailman is a jewel in the roughMailman is a jewel in the rough
Name: Dennis
Mailman's Tacoma Gallery
IF you really like your new wheels, I think I would start off by going to someone who specializes in tires, (i.e. Discount Tires) and not just some mechanic. They could properly diagnose your problems and make educated recommendations. Good luck
Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
pics, what kind of rims, are they hub centric or???

I would be looking for another mechanic...
Old 08-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
dph473 is on a distinguished road
dph473's Tacoma Gallery
America's Tire/Discount Tire or Les Schwab, etc. should be able to tell you right away what is wrong and get you rolling smooth again. Hard to say what the issue is with what you said. May be the wheels but like you said, if there was an issue, the tire guy should know and would have told you about it.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:42 AM   #8
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg03 View Post
Purchased these wheels on Craig's list and paid a mechanic to balance and install them. My stocks were 16"/7rim with 245/75/16 tires, the ones I purchased were 16"/8 rim with 245/75/16 tires. After mechanic was done I started driving and the rear wheels wobble and front tires rub when I turn and my breaks are acting weird like a bounce or something. I would realy appreciate it if you guys can help, all I wanted was to make my 06 pre runner look better, now I have a mess! Please help!
IMO; Wobble could be due from being lug centric. Get hub centric rings, make sure the lug nuts are properly torqued. Rub could be due from the different backspacing, trim, spacers or find new wheels.

When you say "bounce or something", are you taking about pulsating in the pedal of you actually feel wheel hop? Pulsating in the pedal could be warped rotors, bouncing could be bad shocks.

We def need some more and better information here. Take a pic of the new WHEEL and tire us.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Surg03's Tacoma Gallery
I had no problem before with my stock wheels, that's what I don't understand. Don't know brand of wheels but I know the front wheels needed a 1.25 spacer to fit. The breaking problem is pulsating, hard to explain never had this problem before so its new to me. Going back today to have him fix it or put my stocks back on, and yes I made sure all the lugs were tight, I first thought that was the problem. I will get some pics
Old 08-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Surg03's Tacoma Gallery
I think I did it right, new here hopefully the pics went.
Attached Thumbnails
Issues after getting new wheels-image.jpg  
Old 08-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
In not sure but some of the lugnuts look different than others. Are they all tapered seat nuts. You may need extended thread lugnuts. Put a lite grease on the studs and snug the nuts down and the remove it and see how far there threading on. You need atleast the stud width worth of threads. By the looks of it you are gonna need acorn bulge 60deg nuts. Or just do like others have said and take it to a pro tire shop.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
Surg03's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you guys for helping me, the mechanic figured it out, I guess my rear break drum had a weight for balance or something and the wheels were not siting flush. He installed two shallow spacers to fit. I'm not a mechanic so I did not understand the weight or notch on the rear rotor or drum
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
Surg03's Tacoma Gallery
Another pic
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Boone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg03 View Post
Thank you guys for helping me, the mechanic figured it out, I guess my rear break drum had a weight for balance or something and the wheels were not siting flush. He installed two shallow spacers to fit. I'm not a mechanic so I did not understand the weight or notch on the rear rotor or drum
Two shallow spacers? Please tell me he didn't just slap a couple of washers in there and call it good.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
Surg03's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

He did balance the wheels but he did slap on the spacers in the rear. Educate me, is he trying to pull a fast one on me?
Old 08-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
Surg03's Tacoma Gallery
They were toyota tacoma spacers for the lug pattern if that means
anything
Old 09-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #17
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
1.25" spacers on the front, now you have added some kind of spacer to the rears, unknown what kind...

You are not doing your truck any favors...you need to roll up your sleeves and get to educating yourself...

this is a very strange story on the rears..
Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
dunwur is on a distinguished road
dunwur's Tacoma Gallery
Did you change from alloy rims to steel rims or vise versa ? If so , according to the owners manual , You must also change the lug nuts .
Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a little confused by everything and before something goes seriously wrong, it might be a good idea to go your local wheel/tire shop and buy some proper wheels.

As something mentioned, please try to educate yourself in this department so you know exactly what's going on and be on the safe side.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #20
Surg03's Tacoma Gallery
Basically I have 1.25 spacers adapters on the front and 1/8 spacers on the rear of my truck. Everything feels fine now but eventually I will just buy new rims that fit the truck without spacers and sell these wheels.