Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Favorite flat black paint for Offroad rims

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Slizzy will become famous soon enough

Slizzy's Tacoma Gallery
Favorite flat black paint for Offroad rims

Getting set to paint my rims soon... What kind of paint do you guys like the most?

I'm wanting flat black ... Spraying on stock Offroad wheels

Would plastidip shine still?

Primer needed? What type if so? Thx
Old 09-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Dip doesn't shine at all. Do you want shine? I suggest prepping the wheels with a fine scuff like an 800 or 1000 grit sandpaper or the 3M scuff pads. Then run at least 2 coats of primer followed by your color of choice. Maybe 2-3 coats of the color should do fine.

Rustoleum and duplicolor are at a lot of retail locations (Home Depot for rustoleum). For the final coat use a clear of some sort - they make clear coats in shiny or matte finishes so there's lots of choices out there. I also read to start with the inside of the rim first then focus on the outside.

Also here's a thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...your-rims.html
Old 09-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Also for plasti-dip on wheels I'm not sure how much it would hold up. Once you get some thickness after applying a few coats you can literally peel it off.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Rustoleum has lasted the longest out of all the top brands. I've gone thru pretty much all the big rattle can names and it's lasted the longest.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
Slizzy will become famous soon enough

Slizzy's Tacoma Gallery
So plasti- dip is a spray ? Lol I'm such a newb... When hearing about it I'm always thinking people are actually dipping their rims in a bucket, lol
Old 09-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
plasti dip wont last as long as a well done paint job.
but then again to replace it, its much easier than replacing the paint.
I like the deeper black of paint and how it will last longer but theres a lot of plasti-derp fan boys around here that would love to disagree.