1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Powder coating 17" TRD Sport Rims

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tractng, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Sep 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    tractng

tractng [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hello,

I have a few questions. I just got a used set and thinking about powder coating them.

1) Do you powder coat the entire rim?

2) What about the wheel cap?

3) Also, should I go flat or semi gloss?

4) I do not have the valves from the set I just bought. Can I use the valves & sensor from my 16" steel wheels? I am assuming the seller used the valves and sensor for his aftermarket wheels.
    Thanks for your response.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. Sep 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    Whitecloud

Whitecloud Cloudy-fabricator of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    ICON Extended travel Coilovers, Custom leaf pack, custom sliders and F&R bumpers, 295 75 17 Toyo Open Country MT's, On-Board air with F+R connectors, On-Board water with quick disconnect shower.Trimmed fenders and body mount chop. LOTS of wiring, dual battery setup, Solar charging system, with some random lights spread around here and there.
    The main question is....are you gonna have a shop do them or are you gonna try them yourself? I would take them to a shop and have them do them. Gloss is always better, (cleaning wise), but a good semi-gloss would look good also, depending on color choice. Wheel cap is up to you (I don't have them on mine).

Other option is.....if you are thinking of just black, use Plasti-Dip that way it peels off.

3. Sep 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM
    tractng

Member:
    My brother is going to do it for me. He works in a machine shop and have access to powder coat equipment. Thinking about black semi gloss.

4. Sep 15, 2013 at 3:25 AM
    Whitecloud

Whitecloud Cloudy-fabricator of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    ICON Extended travel Coilovers, Custom leaf pack, custom sliders and F&R bumpers, 295 75 17 Toyo Open Country MT's, On-Board air with F+R connectors, On-Board water with quick disconnect shower.Trimmed fenders and body mount chop. LOTS of wiring, dual battery setup, Solar charging system, with some random lights spread around here and there.
    Should look good. Post pics when you get them done.

5. Sep 15, 2013 at 4:12 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Satin black looks the best. It shines more than flat but a little less than semi gloss. Gloss only looks good it you keep armor all on your tires.

6. Sep 15, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    tractng

Member:

4) I do not have the valves from the set I just bought. Can I use the valves & sensor from my 16" steel wheels?

7. Sep 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!

Best I know they do not fit. The angle is different. I have heard of some people straping them inside the wheels and then using regular stems to hold the air in.

8. Sep 18, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    bk808

bk808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Kaneohe,HI.
    OME lift,882's,10mm top plates,Dakars w/dx6l,ss extended brake lines, LR uca's, poly bushings thru out, PC'd Tundra rims,285-70-17 Goodyear AT's,TG weld on sliders,TG rear bumper,deck plate mod,AFE pro dry filter,Airaid M.I.T., Grillcraft insert,Celica bucket seats,Wet Okole covers,Husky floor mats,Ultragauge,Hi lift jack,LED's on all lights in and out.
    Do not powdercoat the mating surface (backside) of the rim. It will fuse the rim to spacer, hub whatever it is mounted to. The rest of the wheel is no problem.
    Powdercoating is cured in an oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes so plastics need to be paint matched.
    Semi Gloss or Satin....

9. Sep 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    I did satin black on my 16" TRD wheels. Got the plastic caps sprayed by the powdercoating guys so they would match. Looks great to me!

10. Feb 20, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    MTBTACORN

MTBTACORN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    23 Tacoma TRD Pro 21 Sportster S
    How did these turn out? Did you go flat or semi-gloss?

Products Discussed in

To Top