1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS reset- another option?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by easler24, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Sep 21, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    easler24

easler24 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Michigan
    Hi guys. I recently painted a set of stock aluminum TRD wheels that I got very cheap off of craigslist. I had my local tire shop install them, and they look great.

Shortly after putting the wheels on, on a long trip (100 miles) the TPMS light began to blink, then stayed on solid until I reached my destination. Once I got there I checked pressure in all four tires (they were good). Once I started on my way back, the light remained off and didn't stay on (it did blink every once in awhile but never stayed on) for another two months.

Just recently the light blinked and stayed on, then did it again, and now it is on all of the time. I have tried to reset the light with my useless "reset" button under the dash, with no luck. I have a 2010 TRD Off-Road DC. It does not have a TPMS in the spare, so I know it's not that. And if it did, I know that the spare is at 30 PSI, so that isn't the problem.

Is there another way of resetting this? I have an appointment next weekend for an oil change at he dealership. I have notified them that this problem exists as well, but I really don't want them to touch this issue if I can help it. It sound expensive and I am a DIY'er anyway.

It is possible that a sensor was damaged in this process. It worked fine for about two months though. It seems like the light would have been on right away if it was done by them. Does the dealership have a way of narrowing down which sensor is giving me a problem?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

2. Sep 21, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    The sensors use batteries and the batteries do get old . There is also a tpms sensor in your spare . The tpms computer is looking for 5 signals or 5 wheels . Yes the dealer can tell you which one is faulty . Hit the search button . There is all kinds of info on tpms here .

3. Sep 21, 2013 at 6:25 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You're correct about the sensors getting old and not sending a signal but wrong about the sensor in the spare. Toyota stopped putting the sensor in the spare for the 2010's and newer.

4. Sep 21, 2013 at 6:50 AM
    easler24

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Michigan
    I'm aware of the search feature and have actually read quite a few posts about this. Haven't seen anywhere where anyone has confirmed that the dealer can identify the faulty sensor with ease.

As stated, pressure in the spare is fine.

Only 50,000 miles on the truck. I have read that the batteries last for 100K or more. Mine should be fine. I wish I had known about the batteries when I had the rims and tires off earlier this summer. I would have changed them then. Has anyone had to replace at around 50K?

Anyone else able to help with this?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  5. Sep 21, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    If the light blinks on startup there is a system malfunction weather a sensor or ecu etc.
    The reset button is not useless.
    They can scan the system for errors and use a handheld receiver to scan for the malfunction in a particular sensor.
    Once the system is set and the proper threshold psi is set you should never have to touch the button unless your playing with tires that require a big bump in psi.
    Sensors die. It's a fact.
    You need special equment to read and program this system.
    Thank Uncle Sam for adding to everyone's headache.
    BTW you can't change batteries in these systems. They are sealed.

6. Sep 21, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    easler24

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Michigan
    That is helpful.

Products Discussed in

To Top