1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How are All Terrains in snow compared to actual snow tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Mark350, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Mar 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM
    Mark350

Mark350 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Im thinking about putting some all terrain tires such as Bridgestone Revo's on to run all year round. Winters here lately have been getting a decent amount of snow, and it gets icy as well. My area also has a lot of hills of all different sizes so I was wondering if im better off buying some designated snow tires just for the winter, or it All Terrains will do the job. I have 4x4 so im not too worried but I like all the traction I can get, especially since 4x4 won't help me coming down a hill.

Thanks

2. Mar 9, 2009 at 12:03 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Where are you from?

Do you have snow 100% of the time in the winters? In other words, does it get below freezing and stay there all winter long?

AT tires are fine in most snowy situations on the streets assuming your streets/roadways are plowed. If you live out in the sticks where the roads don't get plowed much, then perhaps snow tires would be better.

The biggest problem for anyone...is knowing how to drive & stop in the snow & ice. I've driven front wheel drive cars with regular car tires in extreme snowy/icy situations and always made it home. It's all in how you drive.

The 4WD and Allterrain tires will be fine for most situations.

3. Mar 9, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    Mark350

Mark350 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Im in Vancouver BC Canada. It doesn't have snow 100% of the time in winter, it will come, then eventually it will warm up a bit or rain, wash it away, then repeat the process. I figure the AT's should do fine I have just never had experience with them in snow

4. Mar 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM
    Bakemono

Bakemono Wrath of the runbird

Member:
    Southern Wisconsin, USA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 4x2
    With a 4x4 and A/T tires, you will be fine. Snow tires are good for cars and 4x2 trucks, but you dont really need them with a 4x4.
    Ive lived in Wisconsin all my life and always drove 4x4 trucks and SUVs with A/T tires and the weather never made me stay home.
    I had instances with my Ford F-150 4x4 that had Goodyear Wranger AT/Ss on it where I was pushing snow with the front bumper and I still didnt get stuck.

5. Mar 9, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    Digger2

Digger2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '08 Double Cab TRD
    ARB Deluxe bumper, Full OME HD lift kit with Dakars. Frame welded Crew Fab DOM rock rails,Custom full skid plates, tow points,Cab mount chop, 265/70R17 Duratracs, weather tech mats.Coming soon Camburg BJ UCA's, Warn ??? winch
    I put a set of Bridgestone Revo's on my '08 TRD for my winter tires this year. I can say that they worked quite well on every condition slush, snow, ice that I encountered. I live in Ontario and we have had our fare share of snow this year. I also liked my BF A/T's I had on my Ford. I think your choice of A/T's tires for where you live would be a good one.

Products Discussed in

To Top