Notices

Looking For Better MPG Tires - On Student Budget - 05' 2.7L Prerunner

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
Brokenbuyer is on a distinguished road
Brokenbuyer's Tacoma Gallery
Looking For Better MPG Tires - On Student Budget - 05' 2.7L Prerunner

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-car-tips.html

Currently have Wild Peak A/T Off-Road Tires - 285/75R16 right now.
Getting 17-18MPG.

Looking for some highway, low resistance, 245's or 265's.

1. Somebody told me that I wouldn't need to change the wheels and if I got 245's or 265's they would still fit on them?

2. I also have a lift kit that I would like to get off when I get new tires installed. Difficult task? Would any local tire place [that I purchase from] be willing to remove it?

3. Working with a student budget so would like to keep the cost low with max benefit.

From reading around looks like top recommended tires are:
- Michelin LTX M/S
- Michelin LTX MS2
- Michelin LTX A/T2

Looks like I'll waiting for a deal or sale? Any of these will run $600-700 right now.

Thanks TW!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Look for Michelin tires with the Green X designation, they are supposed to have low rolling resistance. Check out the Michelin Latitude Tour (a crossover/SUV tire) in a 265/70 R16, it has sufficient load rating for your truck and is a super great highway tire. $157 each or $628 for a set of 4 at Tire Rack. If you go with these tires and keep your speed down to 60 mph or less you should be able to hit 23 mpg.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Latitude+Tour

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...r/tire-details
Old 10-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned both the Michelin MS2s and the AT2s both on my Tacoma. I can tell you that if you're looking for the lightest, longest lasting, low rolling resistance, smoothest highway tire go with the MS2s. The second I rolled out of the Discount Tire parking lot which had a slight decline coming out it rolled in Nuetral only the weight of the vehicle. With the tires I had before in the same spot, the truck required gas coming out of the same decline. On the highway and road it requires very little effort to keep the rolling momentum going with the MS2s and I saved a solid 2 mpgs just going to these tires from my previous. The only drawback I would say is that it is a conservative looking tire, so I eventually changed up to the AT2 all terrains which I find to be the best all around performing tire out. They are everything they are made out to be check out the reviews online.

If you go offroad even light trails, go with the LTX AT2s. Highway only, MS2s.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Big MPG difference between the AT2s and the MS2s? If the difference is negligible, then I might go with the AT2s for the bonus offroad in case.

The Latitude Tours look nice as well.
Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Bump!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbuyer View Post
Big MPG difference between the AT2s and the MS2s? If the difference is negligible, then I might go with the AT2s for the bonus offroad in case.

The Latitude Tours look nice as well.
Any other thoughts or suggestions?

No I didn't notice a big difference in the MPG between the Michelins tires, it was between the MS2s and my old Goodyear Duratracs. I would go with the AT2s that way you have the ability to go off road if you need to, but still save on MPGs. I just took my AT2s out on the lake today on a sand bar and they performed GREAT.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Alrighty, looks like AT2's it is! Now I just want to wait on a deal or some sort of rebate to come up.

Any suggestions? Lowest anyone has seen them for?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbuyer View Post
Alrighty, looks like AT2's it is! Now I just want to wait on a deal or some sort of rebate to come up.

Any suggestions? Lowest anyone has seen them for?
Costco has a $70 rebate on Michelins until 10/27

http://tires2.costco.com/?srchKeyword=tires

Products Discussed in this Thread