Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

tires rubbing UCA after 3 inch lift with 285/75/16BFGs

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
skynyrd is on a distinguished road
skynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
tires rubbing UCA after 3 inch lift with 285/75/16BFGs

I had the dealer put on a 3inch toytech lift on my 08 Taco TRD off road truck and mount some 285/75/16 BFG AT KO tires on the stock rim which now rub against the upper control arm, I would like to put some Moto Metal 955 16x8 but am still confused after reading about fitment problems with the calipers. Can someone tell me if theses rims would fit and alleviate the rubbing issue? Anything else to consider with these rims?
Thanks.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcmoe to TW!

New UCA's will cure the rubbing. Total Chaos, or Camburg are the best.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
They fit. Not sure about the rubbing issue since I put on TC UCA's at the same time.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
skynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man. What price range am i looking at with installing new UCAs, and is there any added benefit from adding new UCAs vs new rims?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

New UCA's will put your suspension back in spec after a lift, and it will ride a little better. Also, they are fully servicable and rebuildable.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
skynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
I found this statement on the TC homepage: "By altering the factory caster, the vehicle will lose on road handling & performance and has a tendency to wander when driving down the road. TC developed the UCAs to add caster to the suspension when aftermarket coil over shocks and other lifts are installed. This will increases overall handling and aids in the alignment of the vehicle. " What is your opinion about that, like how true do you think is this, does it really take care of the wandering, i have noticed the truck do that on the freeway. If new UCAs really take care of that issue that I would be leaning towards new UCAs vs rims for good reasons.
Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
My truck drives the same with my UCA's as it did stock. Thanks to the UCA's I was able to get the alignment back into spec.

To me they are well worth the money.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
skynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
The longer I am looking at that and considering what you say I will ask the dealer about how much it would be to install the TC UCAs. It seems to make much more sense, the money still is an issue though...
Thanks a lot for the advice.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skynyrd View Post
The longer I am looking at that and considering what you say I will ask the dealer about how much it would be to install the TC UCAs. It seems to make much more sense, the money still is an issue though...
Thanks a lot for the advice.
You can install them your self and save some money. They are not that hard to install. there is a write up on here somewhere.....
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
skynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
I have 1/4 inch spacers and the tires still rub. I also have some vibration when slowing down. Don't know how that is linked to the tires/the lift. I am still contemplating changing the UCAs vs new rims...
Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
skynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, but after reading your posting again I am a little confused (being a non-native speaker) about the term "replacing them": the UCAs or the rims? have you replaced the UCAs or the rims, still had rubbing and then put spacers, and what size spacers.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
skynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
The dealer said that a bigger spacer would require different struts? Whatever that means? He also said that he thinks it would be too weak, whatever that means?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #16
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skynyrd View Post
Sorry, but after reading your posting again I am a little confused (being a non-native speaker) about the term "replacing them": the UCAs or the rims? have you replaced the UCAs or the rims, still had rubbing and then put spacers, and what size spacers.
Sorry 'bout that.

I replaced my UCAs with a pair from Total Chaos. I installed these at the same time I installed my lift. The next day I had 285/75s put on stock rims - that's when I got the rubbing issues. Bought some 1.25" wheel spacers from Spidertrax and was good to go!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #17
skynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #19
skynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
So here's what I did. I ordered 16x8 Moto Metal 955s and had them put on by 4wheel parts store and everything is fine, no more rubbing, good ride. Will upgrade UCA at a later stage. Thanks everyone for the advice. Picture is in my profile.