Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Costco vs Discount Tire

View Poll Results: Where do you go for tires?
Discount tire 52 60.47%
Costco 14 16.28%
Tire rack 2 2.33%
Other 18 20.93%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Neither of them are around here so I sadly go to my local toyota dealer. BUT they have a deal here around January that is buy 3 tires, get 1 for a dollar. Mounted and balanced for free. Not too shabby.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #22
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Discount Tire hands down, they have earned my business for life
Old 10-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #23
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
Neither of them are around here so I sadly go to my local toyota dealer. BUT they have a deal here around January that is buy 3 tires, get 1 for a dollar. Mounted and balanced for free. Not too shabby.
That's only on OEM tires. If you want rugged fails, go for it.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
brightshizzle is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
brightshizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Great responses I will say that I hope this thread hopes others moving forward. I went to discount tire and negotiated some per the norm.
They gave me trade in credit for the tires on the truck it wasn't much but the tires were on the way out.
I went with Michelin LTX M/S standard 265s on stock 17" trd wheels with certificates for $950 out the door.

Great tires so far!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
That's only on OEM tires. If you want rugged fails, go for it.
No it's not. Lol. I would know since I've done that deal twice already. Unless there is like 50 different kinds of stock tires. They do BFGs, goodyear, michelin, etc. They do the major brands and most tires for each brand. So if the MTs are OEM, I guess you're right. At least that's what the local dealer does here.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #26
my71chevynova is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
my71chevynova's Tacoma Gallery
Personally i would go for Discount Tire (Americas Tire in my area). Ive been doing some shopping recently due to the oncoming rainy season. Im on a tight budget and my local Costco starts at 100 for tires. The Americas Tire (Discount Tire) starts at 55.

Granted these are cheap ass tires, but they have a 40,000 warranty and are in my price range. I would prefer Costco but just cant afford their prices on a students budget.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #27
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
No it's not. Lol. I would know since I've done that deal twice already. Unless there is like 50 different kinds of stock tires. They do BFGs, goodyear, michelin, etc. They do the major brands and most tires for each brand. So if the MTs are OEM, I guess you're right. At least that's what the local dealer does here.
I went to my dealer and they wouldn't let me get anything moderately off roady. No KM2s like I wanted. It was all highway tread junk.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #28
CFI AandP is on a distinguished road

Navy: Aviation Mechanic (AM)
Name: Cory
CFI AandP's Tacoma Gallery
Recently ran in to problems with Costco. My last truck had a set of tires that came up short on their mileage according to warranty, attempted to collect the mileage warranty towards the next set of tires. I always have done my own maintenance and I have my own maintenance log to show it. It took me more time to drive to Costco than it did for me to get my floor jack & torque wrench and do it myself.

Long story short, they wouldn't budge and would not honor the mileage warranty. If you go purchase them from Costco, the tires MUST be rotated by Costco at their intervals to maintain the mileage warranty.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #29
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFI AandP View Post
Long story short, they wouldn't budge and would not honor the mileage warranty. If you go purchase them from Costco, the tires MUST be rotated by Costco at their intervals to maintain the mileage warranty.
Unless Costco provides free rotation, that is illegal.
If they do provide free rotation, then they are following the law.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #30
CFI AandP is on a distinguished road

Navy: Aviation Mechanic (AM)
Name: Cory
CFI AandP's Tacoma Gallery
They do offer free rotation.

Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have a source about it being required by law? It's the first I've heard that approach and I'd like to research it.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #31
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFI AandP View Post
They do offer free rotation.

Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have a source about it being required by law? It's the first I've heard that approach and I'd like to research it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

It is a federal law that protects consumers from manufacturers and dealers voiding warranties without legitimate reason.

1 - If service is required at a specific shop or shops to maintain warranty, such service must be provided at no charge.
2 - If OEM parts are required to maintain warranty, those parts much be provided at no charge.
3 - Use of aftermarket parts or labor can not automatically void the factory warranty. The aftermarket parts or labor must be proven to be the proximate cause of the failure.
4 - Factory representatives are not required to provide warranty service on non-OEM parts or labor.

So you can do your own brakes, but if you screw it up, the dealer can charge you to fix it, but doing your own brakes can not void your powertrain or rust-through warranty protection.

Note: This does not apply to extended warranties. Such warranties are more properly called "Service Contracts" and the terms are as written in the contract. They can, and sometimes do, require routine maintenance to be provided at specific facilities, however, violation of the terms of the extended warranty may only void the extended warranty. The original factory warranty must remain in force.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #32
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Les Schwab. Free warranty pretty much covers everything!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #33
wrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nice
wrat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I went to my dealer and they wouldn't let me get anything moderately off roady. No KM2s like I wanted. It was all highway tread junk.
Same here. My local Toyota dealer said that the buy 3 get the 4th free wouldn't work on the Goodyear MTR with Kevlar. All the other 'aggressive' tread tires on the list were only very mild AT's.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #34
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Ew. It's pretty much a special our dealer has once a year.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #35
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
I've done both; like Costco better but next time around I'm gonna be looking for wheels. And that is something Costco does not do.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #36
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've used DT for over 20 years and I like them a lot. Very good prices, solid service, and they generally know a couple things about off-road. Costco is probably solid for people that need relatively basic and/or OEM style and size tires, my father in law gets his there and they've never done him wrong. I've also used Tire Rack twice and was pleased, but I prefer DT for the close and easy service.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
I've used DT for over 20 years and I like them a lot. Very good prices, solid service, and they generally know a couple things about off-road. Costco is probably solid for people that need relatively basic and/or OEM style and size tires, my father in law gets his there and they've never done him wrong. I've also used Tire Rack twice and was pleased, but I prefer DT for the close and easy service.
Ditto.

DT won me as a customer with their free flat repair service.
Won me even more when they told me that for $10 per tire, I could buy lifetime rotation/balancing on my OEM tires on my new Tundra.

Shame they don't carry Firestone. I've been getting excellent life from my Destinations on my 5-lug (bought the truck at 53k, have nearly 100k on it now, and other than a replacement when a piece of road debris took a chunk out of my tread, I honestly can't tell that the tires have worn.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #38
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ditto.

DT won me as a customer with their free flat repair service.
Won me even more when they told me that for $10 per tire, I could buy lifetime rotation/balancing on my OEM tires on my new Tundra.

Shame they don't carry Firestone. I've been getting excellent life from my Destinations on my 5-lug (bought the truck at 53k, have nearly 100k on it now, and other than a replacement when a piece of road debris took a chunk out of my tread, I honestly can't tell that the tires have worn.
Really? I have Destinations on my Ram 2500 and I'm not too happy with them. For the first couple years they were OK, but two flats later with another tire that slowly leaks air, plus the excessive sidewall cracking and weird wear on another... I will probably replace them with Revo 2s from DT in the next year. They aren't a total disaster or anything, but I'm definitely willing to try another tire. I need E load LT tires, so my options are a bit limited.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
Really? I have Destinations on my Ram 2500 and I'm not too happy with them. For the first couple years they were OK, but two flats later with another tire that slowly leaks air, plus the excessive sidewall cracking and weird wear on another... I will probably replace them with Revo 2s from DT in the next year. They aren't a total disaster or anything, but I'm definitely willing to try another tire. I need E load LT tires, so my options are a bit limited.
I've got the 5-lug... 215/70-15 highway tread. Totally different tire than the 4x4/Prerunner.