Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Costco vs Discount Tire

View Poll Results: Where do you go for tires?
Discount tire 52 60.47%
Costco 14 16.28%
Tire rack 2 2.33%
Other 18 20.93%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
brightshizzle is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
brightshizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Costco vs Discount Tire

I have long been a discount tire customer over the years. I have purchased and maintained several sets of tires with many different vehicles, however it always seems like I have to barter with the price. Has anyone here used Costco tire service and felt they had a better experience?

I have both shops within a 5 mile radius of me.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I know my local Costco right now has a huge board comparing the prices for a set of 4 tires mounted, balanced etc.

Discount wins on the per tire price but for the set of 4 installed, TPMS, balanced, tire replacement warranty, etc. Costco is cheaper.

I grew up a Les Schwab guy and just bought my first set of tires through Discount. It was great but I also felt like you that I had to haggle and fight off extra charges. If the price is similar or even slightly higher I would go to Costco next time. My wife's SUV needs tires soon, I'll be looking at both pretty hard.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
brochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud of

Name: Ryan
brochacho's Tacoma Gallery
I have had nothing but great customer service with DT. Recently I bought some 255/75/17 BFG Mud KM tires from DT and was driving on them for about 4k. I went in to get them rotated and asked if they took trade ins on tires since I wanted to go with a bigger tire just for personal preference. They made some phone calls and agreed to give me full credit what I paid on my original tires towards my new larger tires! All they said is that they wanted me to be happy with my purchase and by golly I was. I will never go anywhere else!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I was debating DT, but because I'm going to the east coast, the local area has only costco's, Sams, and Firestones.

SAMs was maginally cheaper, but it's walmart and I refuse to let them touch my vehicle. Firestone wasn't even in the same ballpark, price wise.

It made the choice easier.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
jimgrms will become famous soon enoughjimgrms will become famous soon enough
Navy: EMC  ret
jimgrms's Tacoma Gallery
In my expierance Costco will only install the stock size tires on your vehicle ,
Old 10-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Buying tires is becoming a lot like buying a car with all the hidden and add on fee's.

I just bought my set of Michelin LTX/AT2s through Costco, and while price per tire was $10 higher than Discount Tire, Costco only charged a $15/per tire installation fee which includes the Road Hazzard Warranty. and TPMS re program. Discount Tire had about $30 in add on fee's, so I went with Costco. I'm happy overall, plus they gave me the $70 rebate for the 4 tires I purchase up front, no need to send anything in and wait for a check in the mail.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Does costco do lifetime balancing?
Old 10-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've bought my last 3 sets from Discount tire and been happy in price and service.
I compared costco, but their prices were higher so I saw no reason to buy anywhere else than Discount when I bought a new set for my truck a month ago
Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
in my experience over the last decade or so Discount has been cheaper than Costco. this was true for San Diego and now in Seattle. i like the service from both.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
bolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud of
bolio's Tacoma Gallery
Costco has lifetime balancing and repair/road hazard included in the price, ends up cheaper than discount tire. In my experience here in San Antonio I prefer Costco, for both price and service/warranty etc. But discount will usually match the costco price. Don't like that the discount price is elevated with so many add ons and you have to barter with them for the competitors price usually. Unfortunately, costco only has BFG, Michelin and Bridgestone, so if you want something else you are sol.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
brightshizzle is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
brightshizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Does Costco use nitrogen to fill their tires? My understanding is they do lifetime balancing and road hazards for 5 years as part of the pricing.

You can get your shopping on while they do rotations and balances.
I will say the discount tire replacement certificates have never failed me=)
Old 10-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ yes lifetime road hazard and balancing. Road hazard is extra at DT. Very professional service at Costco. Tpms kit is only $2.14.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshizzle View Post
Does Costco use nitrogen to fill their tires?
Yes.

But even the corner gas station is pumping 80% nitrogen.

Please don't base your decision on nitrogen, and for God's sake, don't pay extra for it.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
VeeSix is on a distinguished road

Army: 3rd US Infantry, 1983 - 87
VeeSix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgrms View Post
In my expierance Costco will only install the stock size tires on your vehicle ,
Yep. Was in getting a new battery and asked for a price on some 235/85/16 tires. He said, what kind of truck do u have? And it took some doing to get the price. Not sure if getting them put on the truck would be a fight but I felt like I was asking for something illegal.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
oldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: ex-Navy, ex-ARNG, Yokosuka, Sandog, and Louisiana
Name: Jonathan
oldswab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
I was debating DT, but because I'm going to the east coast, the local area has only costco's, Sams, and Firestones.

SAMs was maginally cheaper, but it's walmart and I refuse to let them touch my vehicle. Firestone wasn't even in the same ballpark, price wise.

It made the choice easier.
I used to use Sam's club, mostly because of price. What I liked about them (at the time) is that unlike a tire dealer, who ever is making adjustments for road hazard warranty isn't getting scrutinized. They get paid the same no matter how many of the Walton's tires they give away under warranty. I ended up replacing 3 tires between a blowout, sidewall damage, and a tire that picked up a nail too big to be patched. She credited me with 8/32" twice and 7/32" once (I'm sure it was down to 5/32' at least once) and I only paid for the difference new road hazard and installation, iirc.

I don't patronize wallywart/Sam's club anymore (I've learned I'd rather have more counter/undersink space than saving a little money on a barrel 9,0000,000,000 barrel of brillo pads and cheesey-poofs), but I was never unhappy with Sam's tire service or prices.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFast View Post
^^^ yes lifetime road hazard and balancing. Road hazard is extra at DT. Very professional service at Costco. Tpms kit is only $2.14.

It's not always great. I was driving my wife TO Costco and got a flat tire. Changed the tire and went to the desk upon arriving at Costco. Was told at 12:00PM that it was a busy day and they would not be able to help me until 05:00PM. We kept the spare on and got 2 more tires at a different Costco (since the other tires were fairly new) but soon after went to Discount Tire and replaced all the tires. I know my wife will never use Costco again for tires.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on if you like, or tolerate, the negotiation piece. With DT, you can, and need to, negotiate the price and fees, and yes, they have plenty of leeway to make a good deal. Costco, Sams, Walmart are all take-it-or-leave-it pricing.

BTW, I also had a good experience recently with DT as far as a trade-in. I bought a set of tires, then put about 6k on them and decided I wanted a better, and next size up, tire. They took my originals back at 50% of current list price (not what I actually paid from them), then I negotiated the new tire/mount costs down to a happy medium for us both.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #19
1st Gen Tacoma Driver
NH03Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Federal Bureau of Prisons
Name: John
NH03Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Back home in Colorado, I usually play Discount Tire against Big-O Tire to get the price low. But in New Hampshire, this state doesn't believe in big business... so most everything is Ma & Pa type stores that make their own hours and have no competition so they try to retire off of every sale... Fun fun.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #20
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Discount tire direct just came in with another hell of a deal for me. That's why I go to them.