1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weight Issue for Aftermarket Wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Smudgey, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Oct 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    Smudgey

Smudgey [OP] Trying to save the manuals

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma RC Manual
    Window Tint, Plastidipped grille, TonnoPro folding metal tonneau cover, marble shift knob, black frame headlights, fog lights with custom switch, OE cruise control
    Hey folks,

I have been looking for some 15" alloy wheels for my 5-lugger. I am looking for lightweight wheels to help reduce unsprung weight and add a bit of style to my truck. Many of the rims I have been looking at are designed for smaller vehicles with tuner aspirations (a la Corolla, Celica, Civic...) and I was wondering if the rims would be able to take the additional weight of my truck. Most of the cars I mentioned weigh <3000 lbs unladen and I often carry several hundred pounds of cargo in my truck's bed (in addition to myself and a passenger).

I have had very little luck trying to find load ratings on these wheels, but some of the definitively truck wheels I have seen have ratings between 1500 and 2000 lbs (I assume that's per corner); a lighter wheel for a smaller car must surely have a lower load rating.
    [​IMG]

Bottom line...is there a possibility of an issue of 'overloading' aftermarket wheels? What would happen?

Thanks,

Smudgey

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top