Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

First time buying tires.. Need some suggestions/help for my needs.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #21
Bosshoag is on a distinguished road

Name: Mr. Doogan
Bosshoag's Tacoma Gallery
I've always loved BFG AT's but I'm getting a lot of negative feedback on this thread and a couple others..
Is there not a similar looking (aggressive looking) tire that has similar or less road noise that does better on wet pavement?
It seems as though all the tires people are suggesting on here look like totally lame street tires..
Old 10-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #22
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosshoag View Post
I've always loved BFG AT's but I'm getting a lot of negative feedback on this thread and a couple others..
Is there not a similar looking (aggressive looking) tire that has similar or less road noise that does better on wet pavement?
It seems as though all the tires people are suggesting on here look like totally lame street tires..
That's the problem.

Aggressive tires have large blocks and voids typically. These create more noise and a smaller contact patch with a flat road.
Hope u can find a happy medium for ur truck..... I was happy with the destination a/t

These wrangler authorities I know make much more noise, and I'm not sire about wet traction on road. I haven't had to get out while it was raining. I assume I lost some wet traction tho.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosshoag View Post
I have not actually found noise too big a problem with BFG ATKO's though I have found they have poor traction in rain and on packed snow and ice. Where they have excelled for me is off-road which is of no surprise when you look at them.
This weekend I put on my winter wheels and tires. The first thing I noticed coming from the BFG's was how much less rolling resistance there was. The difference was stark.
If you look at the new tread designs for AT's they have relatively open channels on the sides and a solid raised patch down the middle(as Justus pointed out). Yeah for many it takes away from the aesthetic of the tread, but they are there because most people who run AT's spend a lot of time on concrete too and they help with the performance in those conditions. Unfortunately physics seems to dictate that you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #24
airmax233 is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Max
airmax233's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to jump on this but am also in market for new tires because these Dunlop aren't that great all... I was considering getting the 265/70r17 bf good rich all terrain T/A KO so are these not great neither :/
Old 10-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #25
Member...?
Hank4444 will become famous soon enoughHank4444 will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
Hank4444's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
I love my Hankook Dynapros. I got them in a P-rated 265/70/17 and didn't lose any mileage and my traction went way up. 20,000 miles on them so far and I see them going another 50,000. Very happy with them.
+1

I love my ATM's and couldn't be happier.