Notices

best tires / tire size for MPG economy. base 2003 Tacoma

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Hansel is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
best tires / tire size for MPG economy. base 2003 Tacoma

I need to replace the 205 75 15 tires on my truck. Apparently not many manufacturers make this size tire anymore. At Discount tire, they only have a Kumho and Hankook Optima tires in this size.

The guy at the shop said if I go with a 215 70 15 tire there are quite a few more choices, several of which will have less rolling resistance. He recommended Michelin Defender tires for lower rolling resistance than the Kumhos or Hankooks.

Any opinions out there on which tire to get to keep good fuel mileage?

thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Increasing the tires width (205 to a 215) increases rolling resistance. Best thing for MPG, is to get the factory size, in a high mileage tire. high mileage tires, are often a harder rubber compound, thus yielding less rolling resistance, and increased MPG.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

There are a bunch of tires available at this size:

http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...05_SLASH_75-15
Old 10-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Hansel is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input. You are right and I agree that going from 205 to 215 in general will increase rolling resistance. But the tire guy's rationale is that the Michelin, even though it is wider, will have less rolling resistance than the 205s he has available in stock. But i'm with you, I'd rather get the 205 if possible.

Thanks for the link, but most of the tires listed are off brands and I don't necessarily know enough about them to trust them. Also, I really don't want to order tires from out of state. Then I will need to find someone to install them, and they usually charge a premium to do so if you don't purchase from them. Also, I'll be charged each time i bring them in to get them rotated

But let me know if this has not been your experience and why it makes sense to order online.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
Thanks for the input. You are right and I agree that going from 205 to 215 in general will increase rolling resistance. But the tire guy's rationale is that the Michelin, even though it is wider, will have less rolling resistance than the 205s he has available in stock. But i'm with you, I'd rather get the 205 if possible.

Thanks for the link, but most of the tires listed are off brands and I don't necessarily know enough about them to trust them. Also, I really don't want to order tires from out of state. Then I will need to find someone to install them, and they usually charge a premium to do so if you don't purchase from them. Also, I'll be charged each time i bring them in to get them rotated

But let me know if this has not been your experience and why it makes sense to order online.
Try Discount Tire Direct. They are an Authorized dealer, and can ship to any Discount Tire for install.