Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire suggestions.. Turn this horse to glue

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Tire suggestions.. Turn this horse to glue

So, is tire time for me. Have about 3000 miles before it needs to be changed. I just read less pualkid01 post, and have been reading this post of the forum quite frequently, but I don't think I found the answer to my question.

The question is, I have the oem tires, should I just get oem "p" tire or "lt" tire. They have gone through upstate NY snow, and are going on 40k.The Truck is about a year old. I have not had any problems with the tires. Goes anywhere I asked so far. From farmers fields, to snow covered roads. I don't tow ever. My bed stores bulk items, but light items. I am thinking the P is the way to go. Had no problems, why fix it if it is not broken. Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I have researched but did not find this answer. Please avoid telling me I need rock scrambling tires. This is a a 72 mile a day commuter first. Thanks again guys.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
bbaggett is on a distinguished road

bbaggett's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Rack says best reviews are Firestone Destination A/T.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
IMO, you don't need LT tires on a Tacoma unless you do lots of heavy towing/hauling or off-roading. If you're happy with the stock tires, slap another set on her and be done with it. If you want a best-of-both-worlds tire, look at some A/Ts. I just got new tires and ended up going with Hankook DynaPro ATMs in P265/70R17. They're pretty quiet and smooth like street tire but off-road capable if needed.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
If you were happy with the OEM tires then you'd be fine with P rated tires. You can either go Highway or All Terrrains but they would be a bit heavier than H and usually more expensive. Hankooks Dynapro's or Nitto Terra grapplers are a nice balance of both and not too expensive. I have Falken Wildpeaks Highway tires on the first gen and have no complaints.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
StickerHI.Com Dude
CBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conor
CBoy808's Tacoma Gallery
If I was driving 72 miles a day and not off roading. HT all the way!

quiet, better gas milage.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
From my experience the LT tires with the higher air pressure and stiffer sidewalls, don't seem to grip as well on ice and snow as the P rated tires. Some may disagree, but on these lighter trucks I've had better traction on ice and snow with the winter rated P's.
I just put a new set of P245 75 16 Mastercraft Courser MSR's on my Tacoma. I replaced a set of LT's that were M&S rated, but weren't that great on snow and ice.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
I 2nd the Hankook Dynapro ATM's. They were a great tire on and off road. They are a P rated tire so don't expect hardcore off roading from these but farm roads/ light trails and snow they did great in. I had them in a 265/70/16 and was great for a stock tacoma. Since then my need have changed and I moved up to mud terrain but I still think back to my dynapros especially when my gas mileage took a 50 mile/ tank hit.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you like the OEM tires....you can't go wrong.

The OEM tires on my truck were the Dueler H/T's..... They worked great for 4 years.

But personally...they look too much like a damn SUV/CAR tire!! I had to get something more aggressive looking. I went with Dueler Revo A/T. I haven't looked back....
Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the advice guys. Going p rated. I do Damn near zero of road but love in the country. That is what for wheelers are for. IMO.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Came across this today while searching.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/ptd/4033182058.html

Anyone ever do this? Good deal, bad deal?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #11
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah tire take offs can either be vehicles that got in an accident and still had good tread. Or the dealer switched out the stock tires for an upgraded tire. Either way try and get some kind of warranty so that way if something is wrong with them you can get your money back.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #12
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you.