1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

dedicated winter tire or duratracs for winter in southern ntario

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by heavtritefoot, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Nov 2, 2013 at 2:21 AM
    heavtritefoot

heavtritefoot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Courtice,Ontario
    Like the title says. We don't get much snow up here but sometimes when it comes its 6 inches of the fluffy stuff. Truck tires are coming up to 60 000 kms on them and I want to get duratracs on micky thompson classics lll black. Which come with the snowflake symbol on them. Just wondering how they compare to a michelin x winter tire for the truck. My only dilemma is I have to have 2 sets of wheels and rims and money for them and store them. What should I do buy winter tires or just buy one set of duratracs. Thanks ken

2. Nov 2, 2013 at 3:13 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Buy the tire you want.

3. Nov 2, 2013 at 3:31 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I think you will always notice a difference between an all season tire and a dedicated winter tire in wintry conditions. Obviously we get a lot of snow (Alaska), so I run two sets, Blizzaks in Winter and currently GY Silent Armors Pro Grade (LT rated) in Summer. I don't have any experience with Duratracs, but I think if you've run Michelin X Ice before, the Duratracs won't compare in snow/ice conditions.

It all depends on how often you get snow/ice and if you feel the hassles of maintaining two sets is worth it. IMHO FWIW

4. Nov 2, 2013 at 5:50 AM
    REVNHI

REVNHI Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Moonstone Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab TRD Off Road Premium
    I run the Duratracs on factory steel wheels for winter tires and think they do a great job. I also live in Ontario but further up north directly beside a ski resort.

5. Nov 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    OP, this sounds like your answer. At least someone using them to give actual feedback. :cool:

6. Nov 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I would suggest sticking with the Duratracks as well .
    I just picked up 4 Goodyear winter Ultra grip WRT snow tires With studs .
    Only have about 50 miles on them so far . Got stuck once already with 4 inches of snow .
    Lets just say for one of the best rated snow tires with many 2013 reviews and the fact that I also added studs ,I am not impressed with them at all ....maybe time will tell
    I live way way up North in Ontario
    http://www.goodyear.ca/en-CA/tires/ultra-grip-winter-tire

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  7. Nov 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Hey There from a fellow Ontarian. I have heard a lot of good things about running the duratrac in the winter time. A few of the guys I have talked to really like the tire for offroading and winter driving. Really the only thing I can give for advice is DO NOT run a mud tire lol. I got a great deal on a set of durtrac MTR, but I really wanted the duratrac a/t. Anyways hope that helps.

8. Nov 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    heavtritefoot

heavtritefoot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Courtice,Ontario
    Ill go with duratracs all season long. Forgot to mention my girlfriend drives the truck to work which is less then 10 kilometers away. Last year was bad for snow but the rest of the years havnt been so bad. So its one set of tires it is then.

9. Nov 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Rob is spot on with this remark. I run two sets, tires and rims, but just the opposite from you. I have dedicated summer tires. A word of advise get TPMS modules in the second set of rims and clean + seal the tires and rims before storing them in the off season. Have fun and enjoy the dedicated winter tires.

Sorry I could not add any actual information for the tire choice. I am a street truck puke. ;)

10. Nov 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Just for comparison sake I had my girlfriend drive my truck with mud terrains and the stock all terrains in winter conditions. Needless to say if you don't know how to drive in the snow with mud terrains on, your not going to have a good time. She almost ditched the truck 4 times in 2 turns. Yes she is a competent driver, just didn't expect the performance she got out of the tires. She did a lot better with the a/t on.

11. Nov 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    Crazyblackdog

Crazyblackdog Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD
    I am in northern ontario and just went through the same dilemma as you. I went with a dedicated winter, Yokohama Geolandar I/T. We get a good mix of snow and freezing rain, and I think a winter works better here. Winters have alot of siping that work better on packed snow and ice. I really wanted to get the Duratracs, but they have minimal siping compared to the Yokohamas. I also looked at Blizzaks and Arctic Claws, but they do not have a very deep tread and I don't think they fair well in deep snow. More of a SUV/Crossover tire. I have also talked to a few guys running the Duratracs all year, and they say they are pretty good the first year, but winter performance drops as they wear. I really think the hassle of having 2 sets is worth it.

12. Dec 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    DirtyTaco24

DirtyTaco24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD DCLB Black
    I'm facing the same dilemma. I live in Ottawa and we get some pretty good storms throughout the winter months and I've debated weather or not to run 2 sets of tires. I currently run the stock Duelers on my TRD sport and I haven't had a problem with them in 4WD. 2WD on the other hand will provide minimal traction unless there is enough weight in the bed.
    There should be a few questions you ask yourself. Such as; what are your driving habits like? Do you have 4WD? whats the average annual snowfall in your area? etc.

In my circumstance, I would get the Duratracs because; I stay close to the speed limit and drive VERY cautiously in snowy conditions, I have 4WD and I don't feel like changing sets of tires twice a year. Besides, the truck would look mean with a nice set of Duratracs or BFG A/T's and they should provide adequate traction in the snow anyways because the snowflake symbol indicates the tires compound remains pliable and provides safe traction in temps below 7 degrees C. They don't just slap the snowflake symbol on any tire. I would say it's a safe bet to go with the Duratracs!

Products Discussed in

To Top