Notices

dedicated winter tire or duratracs for winter in southern ntario

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
heavtritefoot is on a distinguished road
Name: ken
heavtritefoot's Tacoma Gallery
dedicated winter tire or duratracs for winter in southern ntario

Like the title says. We don't get much snow up here but sometimes when it comes its 6 inches of the fluffy stuff. Truck tires are coming up to 60 000 kms on them and I want to get duratracs on micky thompson classics lll black. Which come with the snowflake symbol on them. Just wondering how they compare to a michelin x winter tire for the truck. My only dilemma is I have to have 2 sets of wheels and rims and money for them and store them. What should I do buy winter tires or just buy one set of duratracs. Thanks ken
Old 11-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Buy the tire you want.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #3
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
I think you will always notice a difference between an all season tire and a dedicated winter tire in wintry conditions. Obviously we get a lot of snow (Alaska), so I run two sets, Blizzaks in Winter and currently GY Silent Armors Pro Grade (LT rated) in Summer. I don't have any experience with Duratracs, but I think if you've run Michelin X Ice before, the Duratracs won't compare in snow/ice conditions.

It all depends on how often you get snow/ice and if you feel the hassles of maintaining two sets is worth it. IMHO FWIW
Old 11-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
REVNHI is one of the sharper tools in the shedREVNHI is one of the sharper tools in the shedREVNHI is one of the sharper tools in the shedREVNHI is one of the sharper tools in the shedREVNHI is one of the sharper tools in the shedREVNHI is one of the sharper tools in the shedREVNHI is one of the sharper tools in the shedREVNHI is one of the sharper tools in the shedREVNHI is one of the sharper tools in the shedREVNHI is one of the sharper tools in the shedREVNHI is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
REVNHI's Tacoma Gallery
I run the Duratracs on factory steel wheels for winter tires and think they do a great job. I also live in Ontario but further up north directly beside a ski resort.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVNHI View Post
I run the Duratracs on factory steel wheels for winter tires and think they do a great job. I also live in Ontario but further up north directly beside a ski resort.
OP, this sounds like your answer. At least someone using them to give actual feedback.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest sticking with the Duratracks as well .
I just picked up 4 Goodyear winter Ultra grip WRT snow tires With studs .
Only have about 50 miles on them so far . Got stuck once already with 4 inches of snow .
Lets just say for one of the best rated snow tires with many 2013 reviews and the fact that I also added studs ,I am not impressed with them at all ....maybe time will tell
I live way way up North in Ontario
http://www.goodyear.ca/en-CA/tires/u...ip-winter-tire
Old 11-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Hey There from a fellow Ontarian. I have heard a lot of good things about running the duratrac in the winter time. A few of the guys I have talked to really like the tire for offroading and winter driving. Really the only thing I can give for advice is DO NOT run a mud tire lol. I got a great deal on a set of durtrac MTR, but I really wanted the duratrac a/t. Anyways hope that helps.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
heavtritefoot is on a distinguished road
Name: ken
heavtritefoot's Tacoma Gallery
Ill go with duratracs all season long. Forgot to mention my girlfriend drives the truck to work which is less then 10 kilometers away. Last year was bad for snow but the rest of the years havnt been so bad. So its one set of tires it is then.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
if you feel the hassles of maintaining two sets is worth it. IMHO FWIW
Rob is spot on with this remark. I run two sets, tires and rims, but just the opposite from you. I have dedicated summer tires. A word of advise get TPMS modules in the second set of rims and clean + seal the tires and rims before storing them in the off season. Have fun and enjoy the dedicated winter tires.

Sorry I could not add any actual information for the tire choice. I am a street truck puke.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavtritefoot View Post
Ill go with duratracs all season long. Forgot to mention my girlfriend drives the truck to work which is less then 10 kilometers away. Last year was bad for snow but the rest of the years havnt been so bad. So its one set of tires it is then.
Just for comparison sake I had my girlfriend drive my truck with mud terrains and the stock all terrains in winter conditions. Needless to say if you don't know how to drive in the snow with mud terrains on, your not going to have a good time. She almost ditched the truck 4 times in 2 turns. Yes she is a competent driver, just didn't expect the performance she got out of the tires. She did a lot better with the a/t on.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Crazyblackdog is on a distinguished road
Crazyblackdog's Tacoma Gallery
I am in northern ontario and just went through the same dilemma as you. I went with a dedicated winter, Yokohama Geolandar I/T. We get a good mix of snow and freezing rain, and I think a winter works better here. Winters have alot of siping that work better on packed snow and ice. I really wanted to get the Duratracs, but they have minimal siping compared to the Yokohamas. I also looked at Blizzaks and Arctic Claws, but they do not have a very deep tread and I don't think they fair well in deep snow. More of a SUV/Crossover tire. I have also talked to a few guys running the Duratracs all year, and they say they are pretty good the first year, but winter performance drops as they wear. I really think the hassle of having 2 sets is worth it.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
DirtyTaco24 is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
DirtyTaco24's Tacoma Gallery
I'm facing the same dilemma. I live in Ottawa and we get some pretty good storms throughout the winter months and I've debated weather or not to run 2 sets of tires. I currently run the stock Duelers on my TRD sport and I haven't had a problem with them in 4WD. 2WD on the other hand will provide minimal traction unless there is enough weight in the bed.
There should be a few questions you ask yourself. Such as; what are your driving habits like? Do you have 4WD? whats the average annual snowfall in your area? etc.

In my circumstance, I would get the Duratracs because; I stay close to the speed limit and drive VERY cautiously in snowy conditions, I have 4WD and I don't feel like changing sets of tires twice a year. Besides, the truck would look mean with a nice set of Duratracs or BFG A/T's and they should provide adequate traction in the snow anyways because the snowflake symbol indicates the tires compound remains pliable and provides safe traction in temps below 7 degrees C. They don't just slap the snowflake symbol on any tire. I would say it's a safe bet to go with the Duratracs!