Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Nitrogen Tire fill.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Joel Fox is on a distinguished road
Joel Fox's Tacoma Gallery
Nitrogen Tire fill.

Most Costco's are starting to carry nitrogen for tires My Local one said they would fill tires for free, if they weren't busy!!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Spacedude is on a distinguished road

Spacedude's Tacoma Gallery
Air is 78.08% nitrogen by volumn. What advantage does pure nitrgen have?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
The literature that I've read said That it increases tire wear up to 30% ( if this is true all tires should be filled with it) 30% is a lot!!
Also reduces tire cracking from oxidation to air. And the tire's running temperature is cooler with nitrogen.
I'm just doing research my self....
So if any one can add to the pros's and con's I'd I would like to hear about it.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Fox View Post
The literature that I've read said That it increases tire wear up to 30% ( if this is true all tires should be filled with it) 30% is a lot!!
umm.....u sure u meant to say that? i dont think i'd want 30% extra wear
Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
Yep, that is straight from the Toyota package given to me at the dealer. Spec's at www.whynitrofill.com
I guess I said that back words.. It should increase tire life by 30%
Old 09-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

right...this is what the site says....

In 7 million miles of truck tire testing, nitrogen inflated tires lasted longer.
Tire failures were reduced by 50%
Tread life was increased by 25-30%

now read what u said....u said "it(nitrogen) increases tire wear up to 30%". it increases tread life...not tire wear. increased tire wear is a bad thing.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Thanks for the English lesson. I do that kind of stuff all the time! I can fix any thing that runs... but cant' get my foot out of my mouth.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator

haha...no prob...just making sure the full point was getting out...lol
Old 09-25-2007, 07:47 AM   #9
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna use hydrogen in my tires. It will make my truck lighter so i can get better mileage. It will probably also help me drive across large bodies if i ever needed to. I'm no historian but i can't think of a single instance when hydrogen ever caused any kind of problem or catastrophe.... I'm an expert on gasses, just ask my gf, she'll vouch for that
Old 09-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #10
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Hindenburg Tacoma... Sweet.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
Name: Mark
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
pure nig. doesn't expand and contrat. therefor when you go from cold to hot you lose no PSI. We use nitrogen in aircraft tires so when they go from 0ft to 30,000ft 32 deg. air then back to 0 ft 90 deg. air. the tires don't lose psi.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:18 AM   #12
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Hindenburg Tacoma... Sweet.
I can have flaming wheels. I'll be just like ghost rider except in a Tacoma
Old 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
professorchaos is on a distinguished road

professorchaos's Tacoma Gallery
i race legend cars at irwindale speedway and we use it for the same reason as stated above...when those small tires get going they can heat up pretty quick with just regular stuff...but nitrogen keeps them where they shood be!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:30 AM   #14
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
m3dragon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
Air is 78.08% nitrogen by volumn. What advantage does pure nitrgen have?
Nitrogen molecule are denser than Air molecules (AKA larger) thus your tires will keep pressure longer. Most performance cars run nitrogen to keep temps down and well as keep tire pressure. When you drive around corners in any car the, the tire deflects and forms small gaps where air slowly leaks. With nitrogen it is a larger molecule, thus they can't escape.

It is better so if you can get do it. =)
Old 11-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
NORCAL Tacoma is on a distinguished road

NORCAL Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Nitrogen in Beer

Nitrogen also makes beer taste better.. More smooth, less after taste than C02 as carbonation.
If its good in beer, it must be good in my truck.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:10 AM   #16
hans17 is on a distinguished road

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
just a little comment

all i can say is that were i work we use nitro and beleive me if airplane use it it's safe. and were i'm from cotsco filled mine for free and just a $5.00 dollar tip to keep the guy happy.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:41 AM   #17
rpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to behold

rpoint16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Fox View Post
Thanks for the English lesson. I do that kind of stuff all the time! I can fix any thing that runs... but cant' get my foot out of my mouth.
Story of my life!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #18
5862007 is on a distinguished road
5862007's Tacoma Gallery
I shelled out $29 for Nitro-Fill at a Toyota dealership this past Monday. The dealership informed me that any future Nitro-Fill refills would be free for those tires since I had paid for the initial fill at that service center.

I've brought this up in another thread, so apologies in advance for repetitiveness...
My tire pressure light stayed on when I got into my Tacoma on Monday morning, the second morning after I bought the vehicle. There was a massive temperature drop here in Georgia that previous night, hence the warning for tire pressure. Having not been familiar with the specifics of the tire pressure warning light, I was suspect of the explanation from the dealership at first about driving the vehicle until the pressure light went off and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to be seeing the light every other day, so I had them take a look. There was a lower pressure in my spare tire that had caused the light to stay on, so I had the dealership fill all five tires with nitrogen.

Three days later and no additional problems.
(*Jason knocks on his wooden desktop.*)

Seriously...the Nitro-Fill seems like a reasonable enough idea, especially for truck tires.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #19
ATLRay is on a distinguished road
ATLRay's Tacoma Gallery
Nitrogen Filled Tires = B.S.

There is no data or scientific evidence that nitrogen filled tires stay inflated longer then normal air inflation in typical driving conditions on earth. Only in extreme conditions of pressure change and temperatures (commercial air, space shuttle) would this become an issue. As for the moisture/rust issue, when was the last time your wheel rusted off from the inside?? The real issue is under/over inflation. Check tires weekly. Keep them at the proper pressure and all will be fine.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #20
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
We put it in tires at my dealership- I have it in my Taco- reg cab w/16" rims. ALOT less bounce when I hit potholes and stuff, and no difference in tire pressure even at -10 degrees. I get a couple more MPG as well. A great investment. You'll notice a difference- esp on our small trucks.

Dave