1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please help...Spidertrax 1.25" and 265/70/17 w/o lift

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by sampson, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Dec 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    sampson

sampson [OP] Member

Member:
    Can I please get some clarification on a fitment/rubbing question? I've done a ton of reading on the subject but I've had trouble finding a complete answer. And before y'all chastise me, I know I don't need spacers to fit this tire. I simply want to push my tires/wheels out of the wheel wells a bit. It's a personal preference. I happen to like my stock wheels. I haven't seen a set of replacement wheels that I really want so I want to incorporate the stock ones into my look.:)

I'm getting 265/70/17 Duratracs installed on my 2012 taco sport. I do not have a lift and probably won't be getting one in the near future. I've seen some people on here say that this size tire with the 1.25" Spidertrax on a non-lifted truck will rub. My questions are:

Where should I expect rubbing?
    How bad might it be?
    Can it easily be addressed?

I don't mind doing minor mods to eliminate the rubbing if it is not severe. If accomplishing this look with the spacers requires major surgery on my truck, then I won't install them. The tires are going on this week and I'd love to push them out a little to accentuate the look.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Dec 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    sampson

sampson [OP] Member

Member:
    :confused:

anyone?

3. Dec 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Rear of the fender, on the outside, maybe the front too I would imagine. Do it & let us know, worst that can happen is you are out a few bucks if you plan on selling the spacers.

4. Dec 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    nextfriday

nextfriday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab
    5100s@2.5", 2" aal Leer 100 XR w/ Yakima rails and towers 18x9 Pro Comp Rockwells Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 65 18
    Give your truck a proper suspension lift. . It can cost less money than you spent on your tires

5. Dec 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    OP: I have 265/75/16 tires which is the same size as your 265/70/17 on aftermarket 16x8 wheels with 0 offset and 4.5bs on stock TRD suspension. I believe they stick out somewhere around 1 to 1.25" more than stock wheels do, so that should be quite similar to what you will end up with if you put on 1.25" spacers.

More here with pics, hope it helps.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/306325-rubbing-issues.html#post7837309

6. Dec 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    You will rub a dub dub dub. Likely the fender liner maybe fender, maybe mudflap. U wont know till u try. There are no guarantees in this game

7. Dec 17, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    The rubbing will be minor. Remove your mud flaps and you'll probably need to do some light plastic trimming on the liner. Go for it, nothing major is needed.

8. Dec 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I have an '05 with stock suspension, stock wheels, 265/75/16 Duratracs and 1.5" wheel adapters. So, fairly close to your proposed setup.

Yes, like Vin said: nothing major is needed. I had to remove the mud flaps and trim the back of the fender in order to not rub at full lock. I rub the front of the fender sometimes when backing out of a parking spot. To avoid this, I just don't turn the wheel all the way when backing out. Or I just back into the spot. I eventually will get a small lift and alleviate the rubbing altogether. With your slightly smaller adapters and tires I would think you'd rub slightly less. Maybe not even at all on the front of the fender. I say get the adapters and put them on. If you decide you don't like them, they're a hot item in the Buy/Sell/Trade section.

You can get smaller spacers from Motorsport Tech; like 1 inch. It might make a difference rubbing-wise. They just finished up a group buy but if you keep an eye out (or PM the guy in charge of the group buy) you could get in on the next group buy. Just thought I'd recommend another option.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  9. Dec 18, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    sampson

sampson [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info. I have found bits of info here and there about rubbing, but I haven't been able to find out much about where and how bad.

Yeah, I know. :eek: I want to and will eventually, but I don't want to undertake that just yet. I just want to change the look until I can get around to doing the lift.

Thanks for the info!

Understood. That is why I'm posting the question. I've seen others post similar threads but I haven't been able to find a complete answer to the rubbing. I don't want to take it on if it will definitely cause a bunch of rubbing.

:cool:

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for! Thank you!

With this feedback I think I will go for it. It sounds like I will encounter some rubbing, but the consensus seems to be that it should be minor. Like I said, I don't mind doing minor trimming, and I am by no means helpless with tools, but I don't want it to turn into a major ordeal. That's why I'm asking you guys, the experts, to shorten my learning curve a bit and understand what I am getting into. I am not ready to start chopping and hacking my truck up just yet...it is my first brand new vehicle I've ever purchased after all...:eek:. I will definitely update this thread with what I encounter while adding the spacers.

10. Dec 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Awesome. Glad I could help. Like I said, my tires and spacers are slightly larger (maybe negligibly larger?) so you might rub slightly less or not at all in the front. But even you rub like I do in the front, its really not that big of a deal. Unless you plan on racing your truck, backwards, around a track... Anyway, post some pics once you get everything put on!

Products Discussed in

To Top