Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Wheel Specs

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #162
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsantoslincoln View Post
Hey guys - I'm thinking about getting the following wheels/tires without a lift. I'm ok cutting some plastic and removing mudflaps but want to stay away from the cab mount chop. Would the following work?

Konig Six Shooters - 17x9, 0mm offset, 5" backspacing
Goodyear MT/R Kevlar - 275/70 17

Also, are 265 wide tires too thin for a 9" wide wheel?

Thanks!
There is a new 17x8" Six Shooter coming out later this month.

17x8"
6x139.7
0mm offset
4.5" back spacing

265/70R17 will be a good size if you aren't lifted. Very little to no trimming required. Front mud flaps will need to be removed on a stock Tacoma.

275/70R17 will also work with a bit more trimming (again, on a non-lifted Tacoma). You'll need to trim the bottom of the fender liner, a small portion of the inside of the over-fender trim, and remove the front mud flaps.

Neither tire size will rub on your frame / cab-mount.

Suspension clearance will be great too.

If you do want the 17x9" Six Shooters 285/70R17 is usually a better size to use.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #163
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
I might totally be in the wrong thread here, but do you guys know if anyone out there makes aluminum wheels NOT in China?! Are all cast aluminum wheels manufactured in China? Am I making a big deal out of nothing?! Thank you
Most wheels today are made in China. I've been in the wheel business for 15 years now, and I came into the business at a time when wheel manufacturing was transitioning into China.

I can tell you from hands on experience that most (not all) of the wheels that are made in China are of lower quality than wheels made just about anywhere else. That does not mean that the wheels from China are low quality, or that all wheels from other countries are better than all wheels from China, but generally speaking I have found the majority of wheels from China to be heavier, require more weight to balance, lower quality finishes, and apparent less attention paid to details.

Overall the benefit of manufacturing wheels in China is inexpensive, quick mass production. I consider most wheels from China to be "commodities" rather than specialty or high-end items. It is concerning (and a little bit sad) to me to see Toyota outsourcing wheel production to China, and my feelings are based on the facts I've gathered from taking the time I to do hands on tests with the Chinese-made Toyota OE wheels that have come out (and are continuing to come out) over the last few years. The wheels Toyota is using from China are not unsafe, and they don't have particularly poor finishes, but they are extremely heavy, which is usually a tell-tale sign of lower-tech manufacturing which requires more material to achieve the proper load rating.

There are some high-tech facilities being built in China now, but the costs and turn around times are not as quick from these factories, so it will be interesting to see how much these new factories are put to use.

I personally do not stock any wheels from China. When a factory in China can make a wheel that is wholly superior to a wheel from a factory that I am using elsewhere, then I will consider using that factory. I have an obligation to offer my customers the best possible wheel that we can find that meets our standards within our price point. Selling wheels made in a certain country just because they're cheaper and quicker to produce is not one of my standards.

These statements are solely related to the quality of wheels from China. I do have personal views on the treatment and welfare of Chinese factory workers as well that keeps me from ordering from China, but those are unrelated to "wheel specs," and I don't want to bring this thread further off-topic.

-Dustin
FN Wheels
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #164
jsantoslincoln is on a distinguished road
Name: James
jsantoslincoln's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdMeF9SiR2 View Post
There is a new 17x8" Six Shooter coming out later this month.

17x8"
6x139.7
0mm offset
4.5" back spacing

265/70R17 will be a good size if you aren't lifted. Very little to no trimming required. Front mud flaps will need to be removed on a stock Tacoma.

275/70R17 will also work with a bit more trimming (again, on a non-lifted Tacoma). You'll need to trim the bottom of the fender liner, a small portion of the inside of the over-fender trim, and remove the front mud flaps.

Neither tire size will rub on your frame / cab-mount.

Suspension clearance will be great too.

If you do want the 17x9" Six Shooters 285/70R17 is usually a better size to use.
Thanks for the feedback. Per our email conversation, lookin forward to these comin in!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #165
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdMeF9SiR2 View Post
Most wheels today are made in China. I've been in the wheel business for 15 years now, and I came into the business at a time when wheel manufacturing was transitioning into China.

I can tell you from hands on experience that most (not all) of the wheels that are made in China are of lower quality than wheels made just about anywhere else. That does not mean that the wheels from China are low quality, or that all wheels from other countries are better than all wheels from China, but generally speaking I have found the majority of wheels from China to be heavier, require more weight to balance, lower quality finishes, and apparent less attention paid to details.

Overall the benefit of manufacturing wheels in China is inexpensive, quick mass production. I consider most wheels from China to be "commodities" rather than specialty or high-end items. It is concerning (and a little bit sad) to me to see Toyota outsourcing wheel production to China, and my feelings are based on the facts I've gathered from taking the time I to do hands on tests with the Chinese-made Toyota OE wheels that have come out (and are continuing to come out) over the last few years. The wheels Toyota is using from China are not unsafe, and they don't have particularly poor finishes, but they are extremely heavy, which is usually a tell-tale sign of lower-tech manufacturing which requires more material to achieve the proper load rating.

There are some high-tech facilities being built in China now, but the costs and turn around times are not as quick from these factories, so it will be interesting to see how much these new factories are put to use.

I personally do not stock any wheels from China. When a factory in China can make a wheel that is wholly superior to a wheel from a factory that I am using elsewhere, then I will consider using that factory. I have an obligation to offer my customers the best possible wheel that we can find that meets our standards within our price point. Selling wheels made in a certain country just because they're cheaper and quicker to produce is not one of my standards.

These statements are solely related to the quality of wheels from China. I do have personal views on the treatment and welfare of Chinese factory workers as well that keeps me from ordering from China, but those are unrelated to "wheel specs," and I don't want to bring this thread further off-topic.

-Dustin
FN Wheels
Dustin good shit man! Thank you...My new SCS wheels are made in "Thailand" lol NOT China
Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #166
PARTS HOARDER

Thanks guys. I'm just glad to be able to contribute.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #167
AFZ is on a distinguished road
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
Base Steel Wheels: 15x6, +40 mm, ? backspacing, 5x4.5" bolt pattern, ? lbs
So Base and TRD O/F have different size calipers?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:28 AM   #168
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Went from the first page to the last. No update for the first page for weights on the steelies and TRD OR wheels?
I'm thinking about going to steelies but not if they are more heavy. I will assume they are heavier.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #169
gretch6364 is on a distinguished road
gretch6364's Tacoma Gallery
Any word yet on the Tacoma Baja backspacing?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #171
SRT Nate is on a distinguished road
Name: Nathan
SRT Nate's Tacoma Gallery
9 pages and no info on the 20" Enkei WT4s? Any one care to chime in with some info?

Nate
Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #172
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Lexus F-Sport wheels have come down in price. Used to be about $2600 for a set, now $1100:

Size: 18 x 7.5 inches
Offset: 20 mm
Weight 29 lbs

Info source: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/5097.html
Old 10-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #173
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
if the TRD off road rims have a 32mm offset and 5.25 back spacing can i assume that the TRD FJ rims with a 15mm offset have 17mm (.67in) less back spacing?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #174
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Not quite. The FJ TRD wheel is 7.5" wide. So 5.25 - 0.67 + 0.25 = 4.83" backspacing.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #175
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Not quite. The FJ TRD wheel is 7.5" wide. So 5.25 - 0.67 + 0.25 = 4.83" backspacing.
Ahh yes forgot they are .5in wider.

Whats the offset on stock 2004 TRD 6 lug rims

these guys.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #176
rhuffman12 is on a distinguished road
Name: ryan
rhuffman12's Tacoma Gallery
so I have a 99 1st gen with about 2 in level and want new tires and rims. could I clear 285/65/18 on -24 or even -12 (rather run -12 cheaper) offsets? or could I get even crazier and run 295/70/18s? I want big tires and rims but little lift and rub.

currently running 265/75/16 with practically no rub. plan on putting bigger leveling just want to know If I need a different tire size and if itll run on the upper control arm

thank you!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #178
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bucky
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15xAR10 View Post
Anyone know what the base model SR5 steel wheels weight is?....just curious.
29 lbs. it's posted on the page before this.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #180
The "H" is silent.
TexasTacoLT will become famous soon enoughTexasTacoLT will become famous soon enough
Army: Maintenance, 2nd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division
Name: John
TexasTacoLT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdayIsNear View Post
so, thanks for the info, but i have a few questions..i dont know what all the information means...what does offset and pcd and backspacing mean? and backspacing and pcd are measured in what type of unit..

thanks again
Thought this might be useful to the thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel Specs-wheel_offset_diagram.gif