Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How to choose an off road tire.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
How to choose an off road tire.

Choosing the Right Off-Road Tire

In order to select the correct off-road tire, you must first ask yourself some questions

What type of terrain do you typically drive on off-road: Mud, Rocks, Sand, Snow, Gravel?

For Mud Terrain and snow, look for tires with high void areas and a good self-cleaning design. This will give your truck or SUV more forward bite and ensure the tires do not clogged in very loose and wet terrains. On rocky terrains, look for tires with high puncture resistance, and plenty of biting lugs in the shoulder and sidewall. Rock climbing is all about finding traction wherever it can be found and having enough clearance to cross the obstacles below and ahead. In sandy soils and dunes, a more rounded shoulder design is preferred and a wider tire will typically provide better flotation and reduce “digging.” For gravel and hard pack with no elevation changes, a less aggressive tread is preferable, but puncture resistance and a stone ejecting tread are high priorities.

What is the grade of the terrain you typically drive on: Flat, Hilly, Mountainous, Extreme?

On flatter, harder terrains, look for off road tires with a less aggressive tread and broad shoulder. For hilly/mountainous terrain, choose a tire with plenty of biting edges to help claw up and over the ground.

Do you drive your truck, jeep, or SUV “on-road” as well as off-road? If so, is road noise, ride quality, mileage & tire wear important to you?

Like many things, off road tires represent a compromise in terms of ride quality and noise, in exchange for traction. If for example you only spend 5% of your vehicles time off road – and then only going off road in gravel and hardpack – consider an all terrain tire rather than a mud tire. In most cases, an All Terrain tire will provide a better compromise between on road manners and off road capability than a true mud tire. On the other hand if you spend a considerable amount of time off road, playing in mud, climbing rocks etc, and are looking for a tire that can take you there and back home again, look for an aggressive tread and plenty of extra deep lugs.

How is your vehicle set up: Stock, Lifted, Leveled, Flared Fenders...?

This will help determine the size of tires that can be fitted, and to some degree, the types of terrains that can be traversed.

Off-Road Tire Construction

Is the construction of a mud terrain tire different than that of a highway or all terrain tire?

Typically off road tires feature a more robust tire carcass than a standard highway tire. Obviously the visible part of the tire is different in that the tread lugs are larger and many designs extend the tread over the tire shoulders down on to the sidewall as well. The construction or tire carcass changes can range from additional plies below the tread surface- to increase puncture and cut resistance -to reinforced sidewalls to keep rocks and other debris from cutting the tires. Many off road tires also have carcasses designed to allow them to properly flex and engage the tread lugs against the surface during low air pressure, off road driving.

What’s the difference between mud terrain and off road tires?

There are many types of off road tires, mud terrain tires being one of the many types. Other off road tires can be designed for rock crawling, sand/dune terrains etc.

What is unique about the lugs or tread on Mud Tires?

Compared with a traditional highway tires, or even all-terrain tires, mud tires typically have much larger tread lugs, and larger spaces between them. This gives the tires forward bite in loose terrains, and keeps their contact patches free of terrain accumulation.

Left: Toyo Open Country H/T | Right: Toyo Open Country M/T

What is the “void area” of a mud tire, and what does it mean for traction?

The void area of a tire is the cavity or groove(s) that exists between its tread lugs. Off road tires typically have large void areas to allow for more bite in loose and rocky terrains. The negative aspect of the increased void areas is the tires are typically more noisy on the highway, and tend to wear faster due to increased tread squirm and the resulting heat accumulation.

Left: BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2

I have heard that mud tires have poor ride characteristics and are loud on the highway, is this true?

All off road tires represent a compromise. While most Mud Tires have improved significantly over the years in terms of noise and ride quality, they are typically louder and rougher riding than their highway tire counter parts; however, advances in casing design and uniformity have made them much easier to live with on road than in years past.

Usage & Applications

What is meant by “Airing down”?

Airing the tires down is a common practice used when taking a vehicle off road. By reducing the air pressure in the tires, it is allowing the tires’ tread and carcass to be more flexible. This flexibility allows it to conform with the terrain it is travelling over, thereby creating more traction. Lowering air pressure in mud tires, also make the tire more difficult to puncture. How much pressure to drop relative to normal road conditions depends greatly on the vehicle, tire and terrain. Airing down – or running your tires with reduced air pressure, should not be practiced on paved, or even gravel roads as the tires can overheat and or develop unusual wear characteristics.

What affect will larger mud tires or off road tires have on fuel economy?

Tires create drag and friction as they travel across any terrain. Wider tires typically create more of both as they generate more heat and affect aerodynamics. The other variable involved for both wider and taller tires is they typically weigh more than equivalent original equipment tires. This additional weight and mass uses more energy (fuel) to rotate. How much the tire affects fuel consumption will depend greatly on the vehicle and the tires involved.

Are Mud Terrain Tires good in snow and ice?

Mud tires are usually good performers in snow, but surprisingly, are typically not good for icy conditions. This is generally because of the lack of small sipping in the tread area. For icy conditions, look for a tire rated specifically for use on ice – and consider a tire that is studable.

Do I want taller tires or wider tires, or both?

This depends greatly on what type of terrain you tend to encounter off road – and on the type of vehicle. Wider off road tires help with flotation - which is key in sand and to some degree, mud. This said, heavier vehicles may perform better in mud using a more narrow tire as they find traction at the bottom of the terrain, rather than “floating” on top of it. In almost every case, a taller off road tire is better, as they create more ground clearance, moving critical components away from the terrain below. This is especially true in rocky terrains.

How wide or tall of an off road tire can I fit on my truck?

This depends greatly on wheels, modifications (if any) and the vehicle itself. We have experts at Tread Depot that can help find the perfect size mud or off road tire for your application.

http://www.treaddepot.com/content/content-offroad.html
Old 12-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Tires are good
Old 12-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
Nice thread! Definitely sticky worthy!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
ZannarTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Zack
ZannarTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
So for a stock 2nd gen Toyota Tacoma what's the largest tire size? I'm looking for a good pair of all terrain tires but I'm going for an big off road tire look
Old 02-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
ZannarTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Zack
ZannarTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Nevermind found a sticky. Great info btw
Old 05-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
RandChandler is on a distinguished road
Name: Rand
RandChandler's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2003 PreRunner TRD Double Cab. I am getting 285-75-16 for my truck, what should I do to make sure the tires will work? The auto shop said they are pretty sure they will fit, but I have read that often they don't.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
TacomaWorld
Tacomanimal will become famous soon enoughTacomanimal will become famous soon enough

Name: Fredo
Tacomanimal's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 08 4x4 DC on stock suspension and bought it with 285/75/ on stock 16" rims. Only rubs the UCA slightly on full locked turn, which I rarely do anyways.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
gonna be a long ride
09sr5 is on a distinguished road

09sr5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanimal View Post
I have an 08 4x4 DC on stock suspension and bought it with 285/75/ on stock 16" rims. Only rubs the UCA slightly on full locked turn, which I rarely do anyways.

Do you have and pics of the truck
Old 06-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
ragin cajun
jboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: joseph
jboudreaux1965's Tacoma Gallery
completely 100% awesome post!

so many people think of looks first before they actually think of what they need the truck to do in my opinion after building many truck/jeeps/etc BFG mud terrain best all around tire especially iif you gonna daily drive it, tried and true personally tested in swamp mud, sand, rock crawling, deep water, on-road and off-road. ya there is tires that perform better than the BFG's in a single terrain because they are designed to do so, but best all around... BFG! otherwise go with a specific tire made for your off-road conditions example, try to use interco thornbirds in mud or interco boggers in sand? thornbirds will sit on top the mud/clay and spin, not dig, not move not anything, like your on ice! but the same bronco i had the birds on i could run a sand track all day and do great. vice versa with boggers and sand, great in mud, horrible in sand.

jeep and other bronco with BFG's work good,not as good as a tire made specifically for that terrain, but in both sand and mud and grip when climbing perform really well.

other tire related tip, if you are only using the truck off-road, good word to the wise, either have cut-outs or have the top of the tire be at most 2" higher than the lowest part of the body otherwise you gonna run into some rubbing issues at max flex

in my real world experience and again just my opinion...
also very important is weight like OP said, weight is the most important issue for fuel consumption and for turning the wheels off-road. for mud, you want heavy tread/gap, thin and tall tire, light weight to dig. sand you want wide heavier than a mud tire, less aggressive with side treads, rock crawling you want wide tires with thick walls and side tread, have not ever noticed any issue with weight since the goal is traction and slow spin.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
TacomaWorld
Tacomanimal will become famous soon enoughTacomanimal will become famous soon enough

Name: Fredo
Tacomanimal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09sr5 View Post
Do you have and pics of the truck
Old 06-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #11
ragin cajun
jboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: joseph
jboudreaux1965's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanimal View Post

hey i saw the pics you posted above, not sure if i missed it, but what brand and type are those? look like a good future candidate to try!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
ecotecin is one of the sharper tools in the shedecotecin is one of the sharper tools in the shedecotecin is one of the sharper tools in the shedecotecin is one of the sharper tools in the shedecotecin is one of the sharper tools in the shedecotecin is one of the sharper tools in the shedecotecin is one of the sharper tools in the shedecotecin is one of the sharper tools in the shedecotecin is one of the sharper tools in the shedecotecin is one of the sharper tools in the shedecotecin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecotecin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboudreaux1965 View Post
hey i saw the pics you posted above, not sure if i missed it, but what brand and type are those? look like a good future candidate to try!

Looks like maybe hancoock dynapro?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro MT

Loved those tires