1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to choose an off road tire.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by chris4x4, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Dec 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Choosing the Right Off-Road Tire

[​IMG]
    In order to select the correct off-road tire, you must first ask yourself some questions

What type of terrain do you typically drive on off-road: Mud, Rocks, Sand, Snow, Gravel?

For Mud Terrain and snow, look for tires with high void areas and a good self-cleaning design. This will give your truck or SUV more forward bite and ensure the tires do not clogged in very loose and wet terrains. On rocky terrains, look for tires with high puncture resistance, and plenty of biting lugs in the shoulder and sidewall. Rock climbing is all about finding traction wherever it can be found and having enough clearance to cross the obstacles below and ahead. In sandy soils and dunes, a more rounded shoulder design is preferred and a wider tire will typically provide better flotation and reduce “digging.” For gravel and hard pack with no elevation changes, a less aggressive tread is preferable, but puncture resistance and a stone ejecting tread are high priorities.

What is the grade of the terrain you typically drive on: Flat, Hilly, Mountainous, Extreme?

On flatter, harder terrains, look for off road tires with a less aggressive tread and broad shoulder. For hilly/mountainous terrain, choose a tire with plenty of biting edges to help claw up and over the ground.

Do you drive your truck, jeep, or SUV “on-road” as well as off-road? If so, is road noise, ride quality, mileage & tire wear important to you?

Like many things, off road tires represent a compromise in terms of ride quality and noise, in exchange for traction. If for example you only spend 5% of your vehicles time off road – and then only going off road in gravel and hardpack – consider an all terrain tire rather than a mud tire. In most cases, an All Terrain tire will provide a better compromise between on road manners and off road capability than a true mud tire. On the other hand if you spend a considerable amount of time off road, playing in mud, climbing rocks etc, and are looking for a tire that can take you there and back home again, look for an aggressive tread and plenty of extra deep lugs.

[​IMG] How is your vehicle set up: Stock, Lifted, Leveled, Flared Fenders...?

This will help determine the size of tires that can be fitted, and to some degree, the types of terrains that can be traversed.

Off-Road Tire Construction

[​IMG]

Is the construction of a mud terrain tire different than that of a highway or all terrain tire?

Typically off road tires feature a more robust tire carcass than a standard highway tire. Obviously the visible part of the tire is different in that the tread lugs are larger and many designs extend the tread over the tire shoulders down on to the sidewall as well. The construction or tire carcass changes can range from additional plies below the tread surface- to increase puncture and cut resistance -to reinforced sidewalls to keep rocks and other debris from cutting the tires. Many off road tires also have carcasses designed to allow them to properly flex and engage the tread lugs against the surface during low air pressure, off road driving.

What’s the difference between mud terrain and off road tires?

There are many types of off road tires, mud terrain tires being one of the many types. Other off road tires can be designed for rock crawling, sand/dune terrains etc.

[​IMG]
    What is unique about the lugs or tread on Mud Tires?

Compared with a traditional highway tires, or even all-terrain tires, mud tires typically have much larger tread lugs, and larger spaces between them. This gives the tires forward bite in loose terrains, and keeps their contact patches free of terrain accumulation.

Left: Toyo Open Country H/T | Right: Toyo Open Country M/T

[​IMG]
    What is the “void area” of a mud tire, and what does it mean for traction?

The void area of a tire is the cavity or groove(s) that exists between its tread lugs. Off road tires typically have large void areas to allow for more bite in loose and rocky terrains. The negative aspect of the increased void areas is the tires are typically more noisy on the highway, and tend to wear faster due to increased tread squirm and the resulting heat accumulation.

Left: BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2

I have heard that mud tires have poor ride characteristics and are loud on the highway, is this true?

All off road tires represent a compromise. While most Mud Tires have improved significantly over the years in terms of noise and ride quality, they are typically louder and rougher riding than their highway tire counter parts; however, advances in casing design and uniformity have made them much easier to live with on road than in years past.

Usage & Applications

What is meant by “Airing down”?

Airing the tires down is a common practice used when taking a vehicle off road. By reducing the air pressure in the tires, it is allowing the tires’ tread and carcass to be more flexible. This flexibility allows it to conform with the terrain it is travelling over, thereby creating more traction. Lowering air pressure in mud tires, also make the tire more difficult to puncture. How much pressure to drop relative to normal road conditions depends greatly on the vehicle, tire and terrain. Airing down – or running your tires with reduced air pressure, should not be practiced on paved, or even gravel roads as the tires can overheat and or develop unusual wear characteristics.

[​IMG]

What affect will larger mud tires or off road tires have on fuel economy?

Tires create drag and friction as they travel across any terrain. Wider tires typically create more of both as they generate more heat and affect aerodynamics. The other variable involved for both wider and taller tires is they typically weigh more than equivalent original equipment tires. This additional weight and mass uses more energy (fuel) to rotate. How much the tire affects fuel consumption will depend greatly on the vehicle and the tires involved.

Are Mud Terrain Tires good in snow and ice?

Mud tires are usually good performers in snow, but surprisingly, are typically not good for icy conditions. This is generally because of the lack of small sipping in the tread area. For icy conditions, look for a tire rated specifically for use on ice – and consider a tire that is studable.

[​IMG] Do I want taller tires or wider tires, or both?

This depends greatly on what type of terrain you tend to encounter off road – and on the type of vehicle. Wider off road tires help with flotation - which is key in sand and to some degree, mud. This said, heavier vehicles may perform better in mud using a more narrow tire as they find traction at the bottom of the terrain, rather than “floating” on top of it. In almost every case, a taller off road tire is better, as they create more ground clearance, moving critical components away from the terrain below. This is especially true in rocky terrains.

How wide or tall of an off road tire can I fit on my truck?

This depends greatly on wheels, modifications (if any) and the vehicle itself. We have experts at Tread Depot that can help find the perfect size mud or off road tire for your application.

http://www.treaddepot.com/content/content-offroad.html

2. Dec 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Tires are good

BC Hunter, Scrat, fanchaztik and 5 others like this.
  3. Dec 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    NewRider

NewRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    Nice thread! Definitely sticky worthy!

4. Feb 10, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    ZannarTacoma

ZannarTacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Colfax, CA
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Raptor style grill lights Day time running lights
    So for a stock 2nd gen Toyota Tacoma what's the largest tire size? I'm looking for a good pair of all terrain tires but I'm going for an big off road tire look

5. Feb 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    ZannarTacoma

ZannarTacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Colfax, CA
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Raptor style grill lights Day time running lights
    Nevermind found a sticky. Great info btw

6. May 23, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    Tacomanimal

Tacomanimal TacomaWorld

Member:
    First Name:
    Fredo
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Double Cab
    Diff Breather. Blacked Out Headlights. Tonno Bed Cover. Nerf bars. CB Radio with External Speaker. More to come!
    I have an 08 4x4 DC on stock suspension and bought it with 285/75/ on stock 16" rims. Only rubs the UCA slightly on full locked turn, which I rarely do anyways.

[​IMG]

7. Jun 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM
    09sr5

09sr5 gonna be a long ride

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2009 sr5 2.7 4x4 AC
    265/75 AT3's on stock wheels. 5100's@1.75". Trail Gear sliders. Toytec AAL
    Do you have and pics of the truck

8. Jun 4, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    completely 100% awesome post!

so many people think of looks first before they actually think of what they need the truck to do :) in my opinion after building many truck/jeeps/etc BFG mud terrain best all around tire especially iif you gonna daily drive it, tried and true personally tested in swamp mud, sand, rock crawling, deep water, on-road and off-road. ya there is tires that perform better than the BFG's in a single terrain because they are designed to do so, but best all around... BFG! otherwise go with a specific tire made for your off-road conditions example, try to use interco thornbirds in mud or interco boggers in sand? thornbirds will sit on top the mud/clay and spin, not dig, not move not anything, like your on ice! but the same bronco i had the birds on i could run a sand track all day and do great. vice versa with boggers and sand, great in mud, horrible in sand.

jeep and other bronco with BFG's work good,not as good as a tire made specifically for that terrain, but in both sand and mud and grip when climbing perform really well.

other tire related tip, if you are only using the truck off-road, good word to the wise, either have cut-outs or have the top of the tire be at most 2" higher than the lowest part of the body otherwise you gonna run into some rubbing issues at max flex

in my real world experience and again just my opinion...
    also very important is weight like OP said, weight is the most important issue for fuel consumption and for turning the wheels off-road. for mud, you want heavy tread/gap, thin and tall tire, light weight to dig. sand you want wide heavier than a mud tire, less aggressive with side treads, rock crawling you want wide tires with thick walls and side tread, have not ever noticed any issue with weight since the goal is traction and slow spin.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  9. Jun 5, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    Tacomanimal

Tacomanimal TacomaWorld

Member:
    First Name:
    Fredo
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Double Cab
    Diff Breather. Blacked Out Headlights. Tonno Bed Cover. Nerf bars. CB Radio with External Speaker. More to come!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  10. Jun 5, 2014 at 11:06 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    hey i saw the pics you posted above, not sure if i missed it, but what brand and type are those? look like a good future candidate to try!

11. Jul 22, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    ecotecin

ecotecin Wait, whut........

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB sold (2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab)

Looks like maybe hancoock dynapro?

12. Jul 22, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Hankook Dynapro MT

Loved those tires

13. Dec 1, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    usptwins

usptwins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Taco SR5 Stock stock stock
    Kyb shocks/struts, Nitto Terra Grappler G2's in 285/70R17.
    I have still yet to find anything about an 11.5 fitting on stock everything for a 1st gen.

14. Apr 14, 2015 at 11:04 AM
    Mickjonny14

Mickjonny14 Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Worthy thread.....tires looks are good

15. Mar 10, 2016 at 3:55 PM
    Skrain

Skrain Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 F.J. Cruiser
    Westin 9 LED Driving Lights.
    Anyone have any experience with "Hercules" Brand tires? My local tire dealer has some and told me some folks got good results from them during this last Winder during the snowstorms. Never heard of them until today...

BC Hunter likes this.
  16. May 10, 2016 at 5:39 AM
    warehouse32

warehouse32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 ACLB
    falken wilpeaks at3w 265/75r16, Bilstein 5100 with OME 884, Deaver AAL, painted grill surround,
    Did you have to use wheel spacers to get that size to fit? If so, what size spacer?

17. May 1, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    707spartan

707spartan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    S
    Vehicle:
    07 Indigo Tacoma Prerunner TRD off road
    Anyone here use Toyo open country r/t's I think that they will do what I need them to. Rock, dirt, gravel, mostly.

18. Oct 12, 2017 at 11:06 AM
    03TuRD

03TuRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnothn
    Vehicle:
    03 ext cab sr5 TRD Tacoma 3.4l
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  19. May 8, 2018 at 5:04 AM
    Fish-Taco10

Fish-Taco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD sport
    2.5 inch lift on my 2014. so torn between 265/70/17 or 285/70/17... is that enough clearance for 285's? minimal off road use. drive on the beach. I'm torn bc I was sold on the 265s but now I'm not sure if they'll fill the wheel well nicely. plus would i have to add extensions to shocks and things with the 285s?

20. May 10, 2018 at 1:57 PM
    Choco238

Choco238 Wanna be professional golfer.

Member:
    I've tried many.. almost pulled the plug on some Nitto's yesterday, but all around best performance for me has been KO2's.

Bluegrass Taco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top