Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How to pick wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
How to pick wheels

I've been looking at getting wheels for my truck ever since I've bought my truck. I know the biggest hold up is extra $$ but I keep looking at wheels and I can't decide what would look good on my truck. Even when I paint a room inside our house I can't visualize what its going to look like. I was wondering how do you guys decide on which wheels to buy. Hopefully can talk my wife into getting some new wheels soon.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
jo35 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
First things first: Consider your desired offset, width, diameter, etc. Diameter plays a large role in how you want your truck to look (bigger the wheel the more "street" it looks, smaller the wheel and bigger the tire the more "offroad" it looks.) Another thing to consider is that tires for larger diameter wheels tend to be more expensive. Besides that it's really up to you. I prefer black wheels with a bolted beadlock to break up the wheels and tire. Go look at wheel threads and see what looks good with what. Also consider how hard/easy the wheels would be to clean. I went with the method standards if that helps.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Yeah I know I want 16x8 wheels with 265/75/16 tires eventually. I have looked at the method standard and a bunch of other ones. I've looked at threads everywhere and looked at the whole black sand pearl thread to get ideas.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
aldarnell is on a distinguished road
Marines: Infantry
Name: Andy
aldarnell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
I've been looking at getting wheels for my truck ever since I've bought my truck. I know the biggest hold up is extra $$ but I keep looking at wheels and I can't decide what would look good on my truck. Even when I paint a room inside our house I can't visualize what its going to look like. I was wondering how do you guys decide on which wheels to buy. Hopefully can talk my wife into getting some new wheels soon.
I ended up going with SCS F5's because they look great IMO and they are specifically designed for the Tacoma. They are pretty cheap also. The guys there do a great job at looking out for us TW members. Just search SCS F5 on this site and a thread pops up with pleanty of pics to help you decide on which would look the best to you. The F5's are 16 inch and the F6 are 17 inch.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
jo35 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
Post up a side shot of your truck and I'll let you know what I personally think would look awesome. Not that my opinion amounts to a hill of beans.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
Quote:
Yeah I know I want 16x8 wheels with 265/75/16 tires eventually. I have looked at the method standard and a bunch of other ones. I've looked at threads everywhere and looked at the whole black sand pearl thread to get ideas.
You want exactly what I have. 265/75/16. I had to do some fender trimming to get the turn clearance but I would do it again because the bigger tire (although not by much) looks better to me.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
I like a bunch of wheels I just need to decide I guess. I don't want ones that look streetish. I've looked at the SCS wheels (since they are hubcentric), pro comp 7089, method standard, atx ledge and artillery, level 8 mk6, mickey thompson classic lock(not sure if the backspacing on these are too much for what fits 2nd gen), and I think thats it.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo35 View Post
Post up a side shot of your truck and I'll let you know what I personally think would look awesome. Not that my opinion amounts to a hill of beans.
I'll walk out to the parking lot on my lunch break and snap a pic. I have another from this past summer that I might post in case work gets hectic.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
What color is your truck?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
My truck
Attached Thumbnails
How to pick wheels-photo.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
I've already removed the front mudflaps. I thought about trimming them but before I did that I decided I would just remove them. I will try to post a pic of my truck later on tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #12
My truck is Black Sand Pearl
Old 01-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldarnell View Post
My truck
Aren't those the SCS F-5 wheels? IF so are they the -4.50" or -3.50" backspacing?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #15
Quote:
Aren't those the SCS F-5 wheels? IF so are they the -4.50" or -3.50" backspacing?
Yes, they are the F5's. I couldn't tell you what the backspacing is. Sorry. I'm sure that their website has that information. I can't remember though. I have my mudflaps off also but to fit a 265/75/16 tire you will need to trim the actual fender. The inner read corner to be exact. Some trial and error went into the trimming but it wasn't too bad. Just turn the wheel both ways and mark with a pen and then trim with a dremmel. That;s what I did. You can't really tell by just glancing at it.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
I've seen those rims on a lot of Tacomas. I just wanted to go for something different. They look great though.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
I see what you did there. Nice plug. Haha. GLWS.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
Yeah SCS started offering the -3.5" backspacing a while back so they actually have 2 options now. I kinda like the look of a fake beadlock to throw a little contrast in the mix, but don't wanna get to blingy. I thought about chrome wheels since they look good on black trucks, but I think they are kinda played out.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #19
Quote:
Yeah SCS started offering the -3.5" backspacing a while back so they actually have 2 options now. I kinda like the look of a fake beadlock to throw a little contrast in the mix, but don't wanna get to blingy. I thought about chrome wheels since they look good on black trucks, but I think they are kinda played out.
Will the 3.5 backspace reduce or stop the rubbing? I'm pretty ignorant when the conversation turns to numbers. I'll have to check out their site. I haven't been to it in a while. I thought about doing the fake beadlocks on my F5's but I'm just not sure if it would look right. I do like the beadlock look in general though. It looks tough.

I didn't go chrome becuase it's just too much maintinence. and being in Michigan I know that the salt in the winter would tear them up. But the all black rim is getting played out too. I just think that they will last longer than chrome or anything "shiny" for that matter.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #20
The more - backspace you have the further the tire will stick out past the fender flare. From what I've seen -4.5 will put it about 1" past fender flare so I assume the -3.5 would be about 2" past flare.