1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel spacers that bad?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tacofox, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Feb 2, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    tacofox

tacofox [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    MO
    Vehicle:
    11 reg cab 4x4
    Are wheel spacers really all that bad? I mean is anyone completely against them? And what's the problem with them I love my stick steelies but want a wider stance so what's wrong with them?

2. Feb 3, 2014 at 12:52 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    it just turns the wheel/tire assembly into two parts. extra point of failure. honestly they're fine as long as you get hubcentric, that way the weight of the vehicle rests on the hub of the spacer and not the lugs

3. Feb 3, 2014 at 2:21 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    That's what I have, stock steel with spidertraxx spacers. No problems as long as you apply the proper torque to the spacers and wheels.

4. Feb 3, 2014 at 3:29 AM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    9" of Super Bro lift
    I've had no issues with mine.

5. Feb 3, 2014 at 4:24 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I think you and I should trade rims just for good measure.

6. Feb 3, 2014 at 4:52 AM
    Bellis

Bellis friggin rad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    mass southshore
    Vehicle:
    pyrite 6-speed 2012 offroad
    driver mod
    I've heard they can make wheel bearings fail prematurely, but I don't see how they are any worse then wider wheels

7. Feb 3, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    tacofox

tacofox [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    MO
    Vehicle:
    11 reg cab 4x4
    thanks guys im buying a set then

8. Feb 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    they're not. a spacer+wheel is equal to a wheel with less backspacing. they will both do the same type of wear.

9. Feb 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM
    HBtaco02

HBtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd SR5 TRD
    ARB Front Locker grey wire mod Camburg UCA's Extended Kings All-Pro expo's 10" Bilstien Brute Force Hybrid front bumper Smitty XRC8
    I have spidertrax no problems at all. Just don't buy cheap. Spidertrax are in my opinion the best on the market.

10. Feb 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Wheel spacers work great. The Spidertrax are certainly the highest quality ones. Just like your wheels, they just need to be torqued on properly.

They are available in standard Spidertrax Blue, and also now in Black.

11. Feb 3, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What about Bora Spacers ?

12. Feb 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I have had several customers buy bearings that have failed with or without spacers. I won't attest to one or the other being worse, however there is a difference between spacers, and wheels with a different offset from what I learned back at the dealerships. According to Timken, a wheel spacer changes the extent of leverage for a load, versus just the location it is attached. Their description was basically that a wheel spacer would be like adding a longer arm to a torque wrench. While the attachment point is still the same (the bolt, and in this case the original wheel hub) but a spacer allows more torque to be applied to the hub, like a cheater pipe.

That being said I don't have more customers with spacers asking for new bearings, and those who HAVE bought my bearings and are running spacers have never called back saying that the new bearing has failed.

13. Feb 3, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Would you like to buy a set?

14. Feb 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

What size ?

15. Feb 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    1.25" set as in 2.

16. Feb 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Pass

Thanks though

17. Feb 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

IMHO - Worry about function over form.

My stock steelies look just fine and even if no one else likes the look of them I don't care what they think.

[​IMG]

If your "stance" really bothers you get spacers.

Just know the stock steel wheel backspace is absolutely perfect for running large skinny tires that allow maximum clearance with minimal fabrication work (255/85/16).

18. Feb 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    If this is the argument against, which has some validity, explain why the 5lug wheels do not rest on the hub but are carried by the lugs. From my understanding hub-centric spacers were made to ensure that the wheels stay centered on the hub so as to not be out of round when rotating thus causing imbalance issues.

19. Feb 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    because that's how Toyota designed them? I wasn't trying to argue anything just stating the reasoning behind hubcentric vs lugcentric wheel spacers.

5lug wheels aren't going to be subjected to the same driving style and stresses that a 6lug will, I imagine they are designed to reflect that difference.

Products Discussed in

To Top