1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cooper discoverer stt

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Teagan141, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Feb 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM
    Teagan141

Teagan141 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Teagan
    Llewellyn,PA
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport
    plasti derp rims, BHLM, emblems, (homertaco)raptor style grill, bilistein 5100 set at 2.5 with stock coil, 2 inch custom alcan 8 leaf pack, with icon 2.0 extended travel rear shocks with resies, front and rear spider trax wheel spacers, rigid dully spots mount on the hood with CBI brackets
    I have purchased a set of Cooper Discoverer STT's this past October. I was running Geolander HT's and I was extremely disappointed with them. I bought my truck last February with them on. Being one of the most unpredictable months of the year up here in the northeast, it snowed shortly after and they handled horrible in the snow/slushy conditions. Even with fourwheel drive I still managed to slide in a mere two inches of snow. I made the decision to not run those tires again for this winter. I have always wanted to run a set of Cooper tires ever since I started driving. From previously read reviews, they seemed like a well fit tire for all road conditions. An added bonus would have to be the look of the tire itself. Since the STT's are a mud terrain tire, they handle very well on any road condition whether it be snow, sleet, rain, or ice. I have not experienced any problems with them. The only con of having these tires would be the noise. Mud tires generally have a hum to them, but if it doesn't bother you, these tires may be for you. I would love to hear any responses from other Cooper tire owners if they have similar experiences.

2. Feb 2, 2014 at 3:11 PM
    dxpsman

dxpsman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Sport PreRunner
    AFE MACH Force-Xp 3" Cat-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust System w/Black Tips, Complete OME 3" lift, debadged, Body Armor 4x4 side steps.
    Cooper is one of the most underrated tire manufacturers in the industry, particularly in the truck/SUV market.

I run the Discoverer AT3's, particularly because I live in sunny San Diego and don't typically see much more than a dirt trail. With that said, the STT is a sick tire. The price is right, too.

You sound like you know what you're in for. Rock those Coopers proudly.

3. Feb 4, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    mistaare

mistaare Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    Just curious, which national tire chain carries Cooper.
    I cant decide between Duratracs and ST Maxx.

NTB?
    Sears/Firestone?
    ???

4. Feb 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    just put a set of ST maxx's on, very impressed with them from crawling and desert going, havent had much mud play time with them.

also, one of the quietest tires I have ever owned on the road.

5. Feb 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I might try the Mastercraft AXT. If they are 1/2 as good as the STR this should be good.[​IMG]

6. Feb 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    I just bought the STTs from Discount Tire Direct for a great price. On,y have a few hundred miles on them but they do great on the highway and in the mud.

7. Feb 5, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    Teagan141

Member:
    First Name:
    Teagan
    Llewellyn,PA
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport
    plasti derp rims, BHLM, emblems, (homertaco)raptor style grill, bilistein 5100 set at 2.5 with stock coil, 2 inch custom alcan 8 leaf pack, with icon 2.0 extended travel rear shocks with resies, front and rear spider trax wheel spacers, rigid dully spots mount on the hood with CBI brackets
    Mistaare it depends on what ur looking for the duratrac seems to me like its more of a mud tire. Where the ST maxx is more of an aggressive all terrain tire

8. Feb 5, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    mistaare

mistaare Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    Thats what I am looking for, either an aggressive AT or a mild MT. I have now thrown KM2's into the mix.

I am pretty disappointed the traction of my BFG AT's. Need something I can load the bed up with firewood, towing a trailer full of firewood, or pack up the family with off road teardrop and not worry about soft sidewalls, slushy snow, or slick mud. I got 40,000 miles on BFG and close to 20,000 of them were "loaded down" on the highway, exploring a few mountain passes of Colorado, logging roads, access roads and/or fire roads. Trust me, the logging and access roads are moderate (by off-roading/wheeling standards) 4x4 roads, not accessible via car.

9. Apr 20, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    Teagan141

Member:
    First Name:
    Teagan
    Llewellyn,PA
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport
    had them out in the mud last night. they didnt seem to be bad i think im gunna try a set of nittos next tho

10. Apr 20, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I had the Cooper ST's which performed amazing!

The Cooper STT and ST Maxx are great looking tires and only have heard great reviews about them.

11. Apr 24, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    wobble

wobble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ridgefield, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Modified RCD Lift, 315/70R17 STT Pros
    I've been running STTs for a year and a half now. I have about 20,000 miles on them and they are at 45% tread. You think yours are loud now, just wait til their worn! They have served me well in all conditions. When they were around 60%, the factory siping had worn off, so I had them siped. Helped a lot for wet pavement and snow/ice traction.

I think I'm going to try something else this time though. Either MTRs or Mickey Thompson MTZs. I wish BFG still made the old school KMs. I loved those tires. :(

12. Apr 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    Teagan141

Member:
    First Name:
    Teagan
    Llewellyn,PA
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport
    I've always wanted to run. Set of mickeys just couldn't bring myself to paying that much. I was thinking of going with the ST max but for an aggressive AT tire they cost more then a mud tire. So I might aswell run the stt but I put them to the test last weekend and in the mud they preformed great.then I tried to run up a hill I couldn't make it was about a 30 ft climb Buut it was very step I made it about 3/4 of the way up then broke traction I was trying to crawl up it tho I bet if I would have had some momentum I would have probly made it

Products Discussed in

To Top