1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

yet another compelling "which tire to get" question.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by mistaare, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Feb 3, 2014 at 8:03 PM
    mistaare

mistaare [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    So, I will be due for a new set of tires in the upcoming months and I am starting my research now. I am coming off a set of BFG AT Ko's that lasted 40,000 miles. I know, not the greatest. I am not complaining about the that, I am a slack-ass when my truck needs aligned. Plus, at least 20,000 of those miles were either carrying close to FULL beds of firewood, my 1500 pound teardrop (plus gear) or a M101 military trailer full of firewood (guessing 3000-4000 lb's). To be honest I am very pleased with the durability of the tires since when I am loaded down with any of the previously mentioned, I am also driving on some FAIRLY rough 4x4 roads (or my buddies farm), either gathering firewood or back country camping. I am however a little disappointed in the BFG AT Ko's deep snow and slick mud traction. One thing when researching tires is, I am usually driving 40-60 miles loaded down on the highway. So it seems like I am looking for an aggressive AT. Though I am not against a MT. These are what caught my eye so far,,,

-Duratracs, I keep reading GREAT things about them EXCEPT it seems they have weak sidewalls. This worries me, being loaded down or pulling a trailer over rocky/rough roads.

-Cooper ST Maxx, have read some good things. Though I would have to look into what retailer carries them locally?

- BFG AT's. they have very strong Pro's (durable), and very big Cons (not the best traction)

-BFG MT. Is there a huge difference between KM and KM2's? I have read some great things about KM2's, except they lack in the longevity department. Has anyone on here towed with there KM2's for a considerable amount of time? How do they hold up?

I did just skim through about 20 of 30 pages a Duratracs vs BFG AT's. ugh. Nobody even mentions towing.

I guess I am looking for a 265/70/17 (Load range E) tire that has good traction in snow, slick mud, able to withstand 500+ pounds of bed weight, or up to 300 pounds of tongue weight while on rough/rocky roads and hopefully last another 40,000 miles. Not to horribly concerned with road noise, even though this is my daily driver.

Would love to hear any input. Thanks

2. Feb 5, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    wrat

wrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 TRD
    Look into the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. It isn't a true MT nor AT. It is in-between in my opinion. I nearly went with the KM2's but other Taco owners gave me advice recommending the MT/Rs over the KM2s for winter driving. The MT/Rs have been great so far. The BFG AT KOs aren't too bad, but they are not nearly as good (they do yield longer life though).

3. Feb 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    look into toyo's

4. Feb 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    mistaare

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    Thanks Wrat - I will do some reading on MT/R's. How long have you been running them?

How are they in the rain?
    How noisy are they? (I dont mind a little road noise)
    You say they good in the snow?

5. Feb 5, 2014 at 7:56 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I know the duratracs are said to have weak sidewalls but if you get an LT rated tire instead of the P rated, I'm sure they would hold up to a tacoma just fine. Stay away from jagged rock-rub on sidewalls. I get that you're towing but a teardrop trailer doesn't come close to the max limit for these trucks and a properly inflated LT tire will be plenty stiff for towing.

I am loving my Michelins but it sounds like you want mud traction and the LTX/AT2 does not have that.

6. Feb 5, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Cooper's are way over priced, BFG AT's are old worn out technology .. inferior to today's leading All Terrains.

Duratracs are the best of the ones you listed but I would also look at the Hankook Dynapros

7. Feb 5, 2014 at 8:07 PM
    mistaare

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    You are right, the TD is not even close to the limits. But the added camping gear in the bed plus the tongue weight of the TD would be added stress to the tire then throw in going over rocks, through some slick mud, etc and that is just additional stress. But, if you throw in a 4000 lb trailer full of firewood under the same conditions the stresses are even more. I have to be honest, of all the sidewall issues I have read, no body specifies if they are C or E load tires. Seems on here most people are running C rated Duratracs.

Thanks for your input. You make a very valid point (I am assuming LT stands for light truck tire?)

8. Feb 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    cooper st maxx!

9. Feb 5, 2014 at 10:25 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Hankook Dynapro ...........Just say no
    had them on my truck . Horrible to say the least

10. Feb 5, 2014 at 10:26 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

MT or ATm ?

11. Feb 5, 2014 at 10:32 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    All Terrain .

12. Feb 5, 2014 at 10:33 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

What didn't you like about them ?

13. Feb 5, 2014 at 10:43 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Hey OZ . I have a huge list of issues with the Hankooks stored in a folder on my other computer . I will let you know what I found as well as what the tire guys are saying about them . I have a nice brand new set of 17 inch Hankooks if your interested . Theyve been sitting in my garage since I purchased the truck . I put some good year tires on the truck to get me by whenever summer arrives . Had to throw the Hankooks to the wayside . Scary rubber !!! Ill get back to you with the details

14. Feb 5, 2014 at 10:53 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

I have ATm's , I have had mixed results too

I would be interested in your findings

15. Feb 6, 2014 at 12:59 PM
    bolio

bolio Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    08 trd OR 4x4
    I went from BFG AT's that lasted me 100k miles to my current Duratracs and I would have to disagree. The best tire on his list is the ST MAXX. Tough as nails and still tame enough for a comfortable daily driver. The down side is it's only offered in E rating and will be heavier so worse mpg's. The best long term reviews I found on the MAXX is on the Australian off road forums, they seem to love these tires.

16. Feb 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Answers above in red. Also look into Toyo's AT2. Thats what I currently have on the taco. Great in "onroad" packed snow and wet traction. Not so good in deeper gooey mud or deeper snow(12"+), but then again, they aren't an MT.

17. Feb 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    mistaare

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.

thats the thing Bolio, there isnt a whole lot of information on these tires. one comment I did read is that they are horrible in the snow. Right now I am REALLY leaning towards the Duratracs (Load E) and hoping that the side walls are stout enough for off road hauling/towing. I do plan on running 38-40 psi to compensate for soft sides.

One great thing about my BFG's.

18. Feb 6, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    mistaare

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    Skidoo - great information. I keep hearing good things about KM2's. How bad were they with wet roads?

Looking at weights, IF i remember correctly:
    -the km2's were 2-3 lbs heavier than BFG AT's=worse mpg
    -Duratracs were 2-3 lbs LIGHTER than BFG AT's= better MPG (but does that mean a weaker tire?)

19. Feb 6, 2014 at 1:48 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    They were not very good, but that truck had four times the torque these trucks have. On something light and low power they would probably do much better.

On those weights above, is that the same C/D/E rated tire?

20. Feb 6, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    mistaare

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    Yes, all rated E.

Products Discussed in

To Top