Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

yet another compelling "which tire to get" question.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
mistaare is on a distinguished road
mistaare's Tacoma Gallery
yet another compelling "which tire to get" question.

So, I will be due for a new set of tires in the upcoming months and I am starting my research now. I am coming off a set of BFG AT Ko's that lasted 40,000 miles. I know, not the greatest. I am not complaining about the that, I am a slack-ass when my truck needs aligned. Plus, at least 20,000 of those miles were either carrying close to FULL beds of firewood, my 1500 pound teardrop (plus gear) or a M101 military trailer full of firewood (guessing 3000-4000 lb's). To be honest I am very pleased with the durability of the tires since when I am loaded down with any of the previously mentioned, I am also driving on some FAIRLY rough 4x4 roads (or my buddies farm), either gathering firewood or back country camping. I am however a little disappointed in the BFG AT Ko's deep snow and slick mud traction. One thing when researching tires is, I am usually driving 40-60 miles loaded down on the highway. So it seems like I am looking for an aggressive AT. Though I am not against a MT. These are what caught my eye so far,,,

-Duratracs, I keep reading GREAT things about them EXCEPT it seems they have weak sidewalls. This worries me, being loaded down or pulling a trailer over rocky/rough roads.

-Cooper ST Maxx, have read some good things. Though I would have to look into what retailer carries them locally?

- BFG AT's. they have very strong Pro's (durable), and very big Cons (not the best traction)

-BFG MT. Is there a huge difference between KM and KM2's? I have read some great things about KM2's, except they lack in the longevity department. Has anyone on here towed with there KM2's for a considerable amount of time? How do they hold up?

I did just skim through about 20 of 30 pages a Duratracs vs BFG AT's. ugh. Nobody even mentions towing.

I guess I am looking for a 265/70/17 (Load range E) tire that has good traction in snow, slick mud, able to withstand 500+ pounds of bed weight, or up to 300 pounds of tongue weight while on rough/rocky roads and hopefully last another 40,000 miles. Not to horribly concerned with road noise, even though this is my daily driver.

Would love to hear any input. Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
wrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nice
wrat's Tacoma Gallery
Look into the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. It isn't a true MT nor AT. It is in-between in my opinion. I nearly went with the KM2's but other Taco owners gave me advice recommending the MT/Rs over the KM2s for winter driving. The MT/Rs have been great so far. The BFG AT KOs aren't too bad, but they are not nearly as good (they do yield longer life though).
Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
look into toyo's
Old 02-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Thanks Wrat - I will do some reading on MT/R's. How long have you been running them?

How are they in the rain?
How noisy are they? (I dont mind a little road noise)
You say they good in the snow?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
neverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
neverstuck's Tacoma Gallery
I know the duratracs are said to have weak sidewalls but if you get an LT rated tire instead of the P rated, I'm sure they would hold up to a tacoma just fine. Stay away from jagged rock-rub on sidewalls. I get that you're towing but a teardrop trailer doesn't come close to the max limit for these trucks and a properly inflated LT tire will be plenty stiff for towing.

I am loving my Michelins but it sounds like you want mud traction and the LTX/AT2 does not have that.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper's are way over priced, BFG AT's are old worn out technology .. inferior to today's leading All Terrains.

Duratracs are the best of the ones you listed but I would also look at the Hankook Dynapros
Old 02-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverstuck View Post
I know the duratracs are said to have weak sidewalls but if you get an LT rated tire instead of the P rated, I'm sure they would hold up to a tacoma just fine. Stay away from jagged rock-rub on sidewalls. I get that you're towing but a teardrop trailer doesn't come close to the max limit for these trucks and a properly inflated LT tire will be plenty stiff for towing.

I am loving my Michelins but it sounds like you want mud traction and the LTX/AT2 does not have that.
You are right, the TD is not even close to the limits. But the added camping gear in the bed plus the tongue weight of the TD would be added stress to the tire then throw in going over rocks, through some slick mud, etc and that is just additional stress. But, if you throw in a 4000 lb trailer full of firewood under the same conditions the stresses are even more. I have to be honest, of all the sidewall issues I have read, no body specifies if they are C or E load tires. Seems on here most people are running C rated Duratracs.

Thanks for your input. You make a very valid point (I am assuming LT stands for light truck tire?)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
cooper st maxx!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #10
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
Hankook Dynapro ...........Just say no
had them on my truck . Horrible to say the least

MT or ATm ?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #12
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All Terrain .

What didn't you like about them ?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #13
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Hey OZ . I have a huge list of issues with the Hankooks stored in a folder on my other computer . I will let you know what I found as well as what the tire guys are saying about them . I have a nice brand new set of 17 inch Hankooks if your interested . Theyve been sitting in my garage since I purchased the truck . I put some good year tires on the truck to get me by whenever summer arrives . Had to throw the Hankooks to the wayside . Scary rubber !!! Ill get back to you with the details
Old 02-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey OZ . I have a huge list of issues with the Hankooks stored in a folder on my other computer . I will let you know what I found as well as what the tire guys are saying about them . I have a nice brand new set of 17 inch Hankooks if your interested . Theyve been sitting in my garage since I purchased the truck . I put some good year tires on the truck to get me by whenever summer arrives . Had to throw the Hankooks to the wayside . Scary rubber !!! Ill get back to you with the details

I have ATm's , I have had mixed results too

I would be interested in your findings
Old 02-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
bolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud of
bolio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Cooper's are way over priced, BFG AT's are old worn out technology .. inferior to today's leading All Terrains.

Duratracs are the best of the ones you listed but I would also look at the Hankook Dynapros
I went from BFG AT's that lasted me 100k miles to my current Duratracs and I would have to disagree. The best tire on his list is the ST MAXX. Tough as nails and still tame enough for a comfortable daily driver. The down side is it's only offered in E rating and will be heavier so worse mpg's. The best long term reviews I found on the MAXX is on the Australian off road forums, they seem to love these tires.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaare View Post
So, I will be due for a new set of tires in the upcoming months and I am starting my research now. I am coming off a set of BFG AT Ko's that lasted 40,000 miles. I know, not the greatest. I am not complaining about the that, I am a slack-ass when my truck needs aligned. Plus, at least 20,000 of those miles were either carrying close to FULL beds of firewood, my 1500 pound teardrop (plus gear) or a M101 military trailer full of firewood (guessing 3000-4000 lb's). To be honest I am very pleased with the durability of the tires since when I am loaded down with any of the previously mentioned, I am also driving on some FAIRLY rough 4x4 roads (or my buddies farm), either gathering firewood or back country camping. I am however a little disappointed in the BFG AT Ko's deep snow and slick mud traction. One thing when researching tires is, I am usually driving 40-60 miles loaded down on the highway. So it seems like I am looking for an aggressive AT. Though I am not against a MT. These are what caught my eye so far,,,

-Duratracs, I keep reading GREAT things about them EXCEPT it seems they have weak sidewalls. This worries me, being loaded down or pulling a trailer over rocky/rough roads.

-Cooper ST Maxx, have read some good things. Though I would have to look into what retailer carries them locally?

My Dad has these on his taco and is happy with them. I ran the non maxx version on my old Dodge 2500 diesel. Decent tire, but they chunked out, but I wheeled the shit out of that truck. They supposedly have a new compound to resist chunking.

- BFG AT's. they have very strong Pro's (durable), and very big Cons (not the best traction)

After I destroyed one of the Cooper ST tires, I bought 2 used BFG ATs. I ran them for about 6 months. The ONLY thing good about those tires is they smoked like crazy when I would light them up.

-BFG MT. Is there a huge difference between KM and KM2's? I have read some great things about KM2's, except they lack in the longevity department. Has anyone on here towed with there KM2's for a considerable amount of time? How do they hold up?

The KM are only available in one size, I think it is 255/75R17, they are built exclusively for Jeep Rubicons. I had the KM2s on that same Dodge in 35". I got 52k out of them, and only rotated them twice. However, one of them was built out of round, so if it were put on the front, it acted like it wasnt balanced, so I left it on the rear. I towed a 6500# boat regularly, and wheeled it like crazy. I would buy them again.

I did just skim through about 20 of 30 pages a Duratracs vs BFG AT's. ugh. Nobody even mentions towing.

I guess I am looking for a 265/70/17 (Load range E) tire that has good traction in snow, slick mud, able to withstand 500+ pounds of bed weight, or up to 300 pounds of tongue weight while on rough/rocky roads and hopefully last another 40,000 miles. Not to horribly concerned with road noise, even though this is my daily driver.

Would love to hear any input. Thanks
Answers above in red. Also look into Toyo's AT2. Thats what I currently have on the taco. Great in "onroad" packed snow and wet traction. Not so good in deeper gooey mud or deeper snow(12"+), but then again, they aren't an MT.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolio View Post
I went from BFG AT's that lasted me 100k miles to my current Duratracs and I would have to disagree. The best tire on his list is the ST MAXX. Tough as nails and still tame enough for a comfortable daily driver. The down side is it's only offered in E rating and will be heavier so worse mpg's. The best long term reviews I found on the MAXX is on the Australian off road forums, they seem to love these tires.

thats the thing Bolio, there isnt a whole lot of information on these tires. one comment I did read is that they are horrible in the snow. Right now I am REALLY leaning towards the Duratracs (Load E) and hoping that the side walls are stout enough for off road hauling/towing. I do plan on running 38-40 psi to compensate for soft sides.

One great thing about my BFG's.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #18
Skidoo - great information. I keep hearing good things about KM2's. How bad were they with wet roads?

Looking at weights, IF i remember correctly:
-the km2's were 2-3 lbs heavier than BFG AT's=worse mpg
-Duratracs were 2-3 lbs LIGHTER than BFG AT's= better MPG (but does that mean a weaker tire?)
Old 02-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #19
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaare View Post
Skidoo - great information. I keep hearing good things about KM2's. How bad were they with wet roads?

Looking at weights, IF i remember correctly:
-the km2's were 2-3 lbs heavier than BFG AT's=worse mpg
-Duratracs were 2-3 lbs LIGHTER than BFG AT's= better MPG (but does that mean a weaker tire?)
They were not very good, but that truck had four times the torque these trucks have. On something light and low power they would probably do much better.

On those weights above, is that the same C/D/E rated tire?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #20
Yes, all rated E.