1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plasti-dipping rims got a few questions.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by rdd11, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Feb 7, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    rdd11

rdd11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Red Deer, AB
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Double Cab long box black
    K&N cold air, Exhaust
    So I got a set of stock 17" tacoma rims from a buddy for super cheap. They came off the truck the day after he bought it and sat in his garage for a few years. I got them two years ago and never got around to throwing them on the truck. Im getting new tires put on and wanted to put my newer rims with them. I already plasti-dipped them. Mostly turned out good except the outer edges flaked on all 4. Im gonna take all of the plasti dip off of them and retry.

I know the basics of doing it. Make sure they are clean and 3-4 coats. What I dont know is should I use a primer and if so what kind? Should I sand my rims? Is it good to use clear coat? Whats the best approach when painting Tires and rims together or having the tire off the rim?

I've looked through the forums and havent found a whole lot of info on it. I was thinking of doing a good how to tutorial for it on the forum so any advice or experience's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Feb 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM
    OmegaTacoma

OmegaTacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Nerf Bars
    Honestly, I cleaned the rims off, and just put about 6 coats on the wheels. Not sure if it actually helped at all, but figured the extra coating wouldn't hurt anything.

I have had it on for about 3 months or so and haven't experienced any flaking....only someone at the dealership deciding to rotate my tires and taking the tire iron to the rim and lifting the plasti-dip coating a little.

I left my tires on and just sprayed on them and then peeled it off (pain in rear) which seemed to work well

3. Feb 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    oscolivar1

oscolivar1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited
    Bilstein 8112/8100, JBA UCAs, Icon RXT leaf pack, work wheels 17x8.5;-10os, 285/75/17 cooper LTX AT3, Mobtown HC rear bumper and Sliders, SSO front bumper, BAMF greceased grill.
    make sure the wheel is clean and dry, then start spraying. its not difficult.

If you want to be a professional plastidipper, you can go to the official website of plastidip buy the spray that supposedly helps it stick to the rim and also buy the repair kit if you start getting tears.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  4. Feb 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM
    ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike Wannabe

Member:
    I cleaned mine with windex, then rinsed, then sprayed. I did one light coat (looked like a leopard print, my 4yo son helped), then four heavier coats. I then backed my truck up 3 feet and touched up the underside/light areas. Very easy. Also, make sure you overspray the rim edge onto the tire with a healthy dose. It will help the paint to stick better and the heavier spray will make it easier to peel off the tire.

Good luck.

5. Feb 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    rdd11

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Red Deer, AB
    Vehicle:
    K&N cold air, Exhaust
    cool ye I just looked into plasti primer might be worth a shot. My first lawyer was solid so maybe a lighter first spray next time. Thanks guys appreciate it

6. Feb 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    bajatoy

bajatoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Peoria AZ
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic TRD Off-Road
    Just and FYI.... plastidip will peel off when you get tires mounted. You will then have to touch them up. If the wheels aren't on the truck yet, you may want to think about powder coating them. Then its done...

7. Feb 8, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    rdd11

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Red Deer, AB
    Vehicle:
    K&N cold air, Exhaust
    Ye I own an automotive repair shop so I have access to hoists and wheel balancer so maybe ill get them on the rim and balanced then paint then mount. My old set of rims is banged up and once I can afford it I'm gonna get the old ones powder coated

Products Discussed in

To Top