Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Thought I was doing OK until.......

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Thought I was doing OK until.......

I started reading freaking TIRE REVIEWS! I had my mind SET..... I was buying the Toyo ATII's a decently agressive AT tire that comes in my size. Then I read a lot of reviews saying it was a noisy tire so I came here to see what you guys were saying about tires, and found a lot of you guys like the Nitto Terra Grapplers..... same thing.... found a decent price but I kept looking around here anyway. THEN I find the thread with the TW member reviewing the Cooper Discoverer Maxx, really agressive tire and those reviews are saying that its a QUIET tire (even with that meaty tread pattern). I looked THEM up and those dont come in my size (265/70/16). Now I dont know WTH to chose, yeah I know I COULD go up in size and get a 265/75/16 but I dont know what that will do to my speedo accuracy and if I'll have to trim and IDK if I like that idea. Ok I guess im done ranting now, back to wading through the tire sites and reading the reviews.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
BF goodrich km2 has an aggressive tread pattern and they are quiet on the road. Toyo MT's are quiet as well and I have heard the duratracs are a good tire.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
dxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0321
Name: Brandon
dxpsman's Tacoma Gallery
DuraTracs are probably the most aggressive yet still quiet tire available, although they do tend to become noisier towards the end of their lives.

KM2's, like all mud terrains, have a tendency to cup over time. This makes them louder and rougher riding as time goes on.

If you really want something that's going to give you a quiet ride, I'd advise against going more aggressive than an all-terrain tread pattern.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Terra Grapplers aren't that bad. Mine are making a little noise at 46,000 but not bad enough to bitch about. Get the 265/75/16's they won't rub on anything. Hell, my 285's don't rub bad (mine's lifted though).
Old 02-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If you are interested in new tires but don't want to pay the ridiculous inflated premium they run for you can always get some retreads from Treadwright.com

They make an awesome set of retreads (ton's of different tread design tires, AT's and MT's) which wear like steel on whatever vehicle they are put on. I'm at 11k into my "Warden's" (BFG A/T KO's) and they have barely shown any wear whatsoever, and I have been wheeling it quite a bit since!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
jsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jsi's Tacoma Gallery
subed
Tires are in my near future and I don't look forward to choosing their replacements. The OP sounds like he's looking for the same type of tires I will be, quiet and aggressive. That's kind of mutually exclusive, but a guy can hope can't he?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Coming to TW while you're looking for tires is a bad move. Tires are like women. Every man has a preference, some like bigger boobs, some nice butts. Some like looooong legs. You can't go wrong. Just pick one that looks nice to go home with her, or errr them.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone who says that an MT type tire is "quiet" is comparing it to expectations for that type of tire. ANY MT tire is going to be louder than any AT tire.

If you want quiet, get Michelin LTX.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:30 AM   #9
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
I started reading freaking TIRE REVIEWS! I had my mind SET..... I was buying the Toyo ATII's a decently agressive AT tire that comes in my size. Then I read a lot of reviews saying it was a noisy tire so I came here to see what you guys were saying about tires, and found a lot of you guys like the Nitto Terra Grapplers..... same thing.... found a decent price but I kept looking around here anyway. THEN I find the thread with the TW member reviewing the Cooper Discoverer Maxx, really agressive tire and those reviews are saying that its a QUIET tire (even with that meaty tread pattern). I looked THEM up and those dont come in my size (265/70/16). Now I dont know WTH to chose, yeah I know I COULD go up in size and get a 265/75/16 but I dont know what that will do to my speedo accuracy and if I'll have to trim and IDK if I like that idea. Ok I guess im done ranting now, back to wading through the tire sites and reading the reviews.
I recently purchased Cooper ATP's. A little aggressive looking, 55,000 mile warranty, so far have been good in wet, dry and snowy conditions. Only slightly more noise noticed over the stock tires. Very reasonably priced too. I went to 265-75/16's on stock suspension with no issues what-so-ever. Good luck with your choice.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Knows a little about a lot
LuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
LuckyCharms's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Toyo ATIIs and I absolutely love them. I don't know where you saw that they are noisy but they are silent. I can still hear my buddies MT's while driving 60ft behind me. I have done some offroading in mud and sand and these are bad ass. I'm buying them again if I don't go with MT's next time. I have had them on for 10k and they literally show zero wear.

I have heard that the nittos wear fast, but with any larger AT or MT, make sure your alignment is good. people don't realize how quickly bad alignment can destroy tires and they end up blaming the tire for it.

Edit: I have the P rated not the LT rated. LT may be slightly louder but I doubt it. No need for the LT anyway based on the weight rating on our trucks.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
Bennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bennett
Bennett4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Coming to TW while you're looking for tires is a bad move. Tires are like women. Every man has a preference, some like bigger boobs, some nice butts. Some like looooong legs. You can't go wrong. Just pick one that looks nice to go home with her, or errr them.
^^^ This is very true. I had Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tires first and they became loud in the second half of their life and were awful on wet pavement. I have since gone to the Firestone Destination A/T and absolutely love them. Give a somewhat aggressive look and perform amazing and quiet. I drive like a mad man and the tread life left after 20k miles is unbelievable. I will get these tires again. Check out this review from TireRack (for what it is worth)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT