1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

265/70R16

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by NOLA ItsNotOva, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Feb 16, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    Tread is getting low and tires are dry-rotted on my Goodyear 265/70R16's. I want to get something similar but something with a little more aggressive tread. Any brand suggestions? My first time buying tires

2. Feb 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM
    Bagman

Bagman Dental Floss Tycoon

Member:
    Area 51
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 SR5 4x4
    You didn't state you intended use/driving habits so you'll get all kinds of suggestions. My truck is my DD with occasional offroad on back hunting roads, nothing too severe. I bought Cooper Discoverer ATP's in 265/75-16 and would recommend them. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  3. Feb 16, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    SSG665

SSG665 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    18 Tacoma
    General Grabber AT2

4. Feb 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    My bad. I use it as a DD. Don't do any off-roading or anything like that. The toughest thing I will ever go through is a flooded street lol. I was looking at Cooper Discover A-T3. Are those any good? Also, the truck originally came as 225/75-R15 but I think the previous owner must have gotten 16 in rims afterwards because the tires are currently 265/70/R16. Would going to a smaller width such as 245 or 255 improve my mpg by much? Or is it so marginal that it wouldn't matter?

5. Feb 16, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    Bagman

Bagman Dental Floss Tycoon

Member:
    Area 51
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 SR5 4x4
    I don't have any experience with the Cooper AT3's. I like Cooper tires in general. Also put them on my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee. I went from 265/70's to 265/75's cause I wanted a little taller tire and haven't seen a significant change in mpg's at all. I believe the Cooper Discoverer ATP's are exclusive to Discount Tire although I could be mistaken.

6. Feb 16, 2014 at 5:24 PM
    addicted7369

addicted7369 She Thinks My Tacoma is Sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Middlesex County, N.J.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Sport DCSB 4X4
    Toytek 3" ultimate lift Billstein 1500 coilovers, and Light Racing UCA's with AAL in the rear, Mickey Thompson classic lock III rims with color matched powder coated color rings,with 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2 tires led tail lights , T-Rex Billet grill, HID reverse lights, FLYZEYE V2W led lights, throttle body spacer, and K&N air filter, Kenwood head unit, Rockford Fosgate punch 6 1/2" speakers, 6x9 Rockford Fosgate punch speakers,1 inch Rockford Fosgate prime tweeters, 5%tint all around, CBI rock sliders, Cobra 19 CB with 3' firestik antenna, 6 1/2" lightforce 170's behind grill, redline elite hood struts, retro fit HID projector head light with halos and demon eyes, weather tech floor liners, led interior lights, truxzedo low profile bed cover, rear diff relocation mod, anytime fog light mod.
    x2 great tires had them before I lifted my truck and now I run 285/75's highly recommend them my old tires had like 50k on them.

7. Feb 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    I run Michelin LTX MS2's in 265/75-16 on my all stock DC 4X4. They are great, but they cost a bit.

8. Feb 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    If its that simple, look for a house brand tire....

Most tire shops and even Walmart contract with major tire manufacturers to make their own in house branded tires. U can find some decent house branded tires in shops with great milage warranties that can perform as good as their well advertised brotheren.

I had plenty of yrs on house branded tires with no problems back in the day.

Hell, right now I'm running Goodyear wrangler authorities. These are rebranded duratracs basically. They are made by Goodyear, for Walmart exclusively and have very aggressive tread (self cleaning lugs with large voids like a mud tire), with the compound of an A/T tire for longevity. They actually have a more aggressive tread pattern than the duratracs imho, but I wish they had the duratracs shoulder lugs.

Point is, big brands tend to make tires especially for vendors of all kinds to meet the needs of the masses. They save money on advertising and can offer the tires at lower prices. I used to sell/repair/mount/balance tires to pay the bills a while back. I've seen some very nice tires rebranded for vendors, with great warranties.
    They come in A/T, all season, mud, summer, performance (seriously) and other varieties of needs.

Give ur local shop a try... Check out their warranties/road hazard coverage and see what u think. Some shops will even let u try for a set amount of time and if u dont like them u can return them for full refund within certain timeframe/milage/treadwear.

Shop around locally before submitting to the big names.

Products Discussed in

To Top