Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

265/70R16

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy 265/70R16

Tread is getting low and tires are dry-rotted on my Goodyear 265/70R16's. I want to get something similar but something with a little more aggressive tread. Any brand suggestions? My first time buying tires
Old 02-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
You didn't state you intended use/driving habits so you'll get all kinds of suggestions. My truck is my DD with occasional offroad on back hunting roads, nothing too severe. I bought Cooper Discoverer ATP's in 265/75-16 and would recommend them. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
SSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura about
SSG665's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA ItsNotOva View Post
Tread is getting low and tires are dry-rotted on my Goodyear 265/70R16's. I want to get something similar but something with a little more aggressive tread. Any brand suggestions? My first time buying tires
General Grabber AT2
Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
My bad. I use it as a DD. Don't do any off-roading or anything like that. The toughest thing I will ever go through is a flooded street lol. I was looking at Cooper Discover A-T3. Are those any good? Also, the truck originally came as 225/75-R15 but I think the previous owner must have gotten 16 in rims afterwards because the tires are currently 265/70/R16. Would going to a smaller width such as 245 or 255 improve my mpg by much? Or is it so marginal that it wouldn't matter?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA ItsNotOva View Post
My bad. I use it as a DD. Don't do any off-roading or anything like that. The toughest thing I will ever go through is a flooded street lol. I was looking at Cooper Discover A-T3. Are those any good? Also, the truck originally came as 225/75-R15 but I think the previous owner must have gotten 16 in rims afterwards because the tires are currently 265/70/R16. Would going to a smaller width such as 245 or 255 improve my mpg by much? Or is it so marginal that it wouldn't matter?
I don't have any experience with the Cooper AT3's. I like Cooper tires in general. Also put them on my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee. I went from 265/70's to 265/75's cause I wanted a little taller tire and haven't seen a significant change in mpg's at all. I believe the Cooper Discoverer ATP's are exclusive to Discount Tire although I could be mistaken.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I run Michelin LTX MS2's in 265/75-16 on my all stock DC 4X4. They are great, but they cost a bit.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
If its that simple, look for a house brand tire....

Most tire shops and even Walmart contract with major tire manufacturers to make their own in house branded tires. U can find some decent house branded tires in shops with great milage warranties that can perform as good as their well advertised brotheren.

I had plenty of yrs on house branded tires with no problems back in the day.

Hell, right now I'm running Goodyear wrangler authorities. These are rebranded duratracs basically. They are made by Goodyear, for Walmart exclusively and have very aggressive tread (self cleaning lugs with large voids like a mud tire), with the compound of an A/T tire for longevity. They actually have a more aggressive tread pattern than the duratracs imho, but I wish they had the duratracs shoulder lugs.

Point is, big brands tend to make tires especially for vendors of all kinds to meet the needs of the masses. They save money on advertising and can offer the tires at lower prices. I used to sell/repair/mount/balance tires to pay the bills a while back. I've seen some very nice tires rebranded for vendors, with great warranties.
They come in A/T, all season, mud, summer, performance (seriously) and other varieties of needs.

Give ur local shop a try... Check out their warranties/road hazard coverage and see what u think. Some shops will even let u try for a set amount of time and if u dont like them u can return them for full refund within certain timeframe/milage/treadwear.

Shop around locally before submitting to the big names.