Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS & New Tires & Rims Question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS & New Tires & Rims Question

When you guys order your tires & rims mounted and balanced online, do you just do away with your TPMS system?

Are most rims able to have the TPMS mounted on them?

Never changed tires & rims on a vehicle with TPMS so just wondering what most people do.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
You mean NO ONE has info on this???

C'Mon
Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
All new rims should/are designed for TPMS sensors. Just have to remember steel TPMS sensors are different then alloy TPMS sensors has to do with the mounting surface.

I swapped mine over when I got new rims.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how you do it if you get it already mounted and balanced. They just took them out of my stock rims and put them into my aftermarket ones when I got mine done.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Mall Cruiser Pilot
SuperD is a jewel in the roughSuperD is a jewel in the roughSuperD is a jewel in the roughSuperD is a jewel in the rough

SuperD's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if you are ordering new sensors with your wheels and tires, but if you had planned to, unless you are going from steelies to aftermarket wheels, I would order them without the sensors. Once you receive the new wheels and tires, take them down to the tire shop or dealership and have the sensors swapped over to the new wheels.

Here's why, you will have to get the new sensors programmed anyway, which will cost $$. New sensors are not plug & play with the Toyota system. It will, however, cost money to have the tires broken down and the sensors swapped, but it shouldn't be as much as the new sensors. If, whoever does the swap, happens to break a sensor it will be their responsibility to replace the sensor and pay to have it programmed.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
Addicted Mod'r
ToyoComp is on a distinguished road

ToyoComp's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't bother to add the TPMS to my new wheels as I don't need some dumbass light to come on the dash reminding me to check my tire pressure. I agree that if you still want this system then I would swap over the ones that came on your stock alloy wheels.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
if im just getting new tires put on my stock rims do i need to do anything or will the tpms work like normal?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know how true this is but I've heard you can mount the tires with the sensors and the sensors can be programed at a Toyota dealer if you have the numbers that are on the sensors.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I had mine put on my rims, they came off the steelies and before that i the black tape mod lol.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
fibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant future
Name: roger
fibertop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoComp View Post
I didn't bother to add the TPMS to my new wheels as I don't need some dumbass light to come on the dash reminding me to check my tire pressure. I agree that if you still want this system then I would swap over the ones that came on your stock alloy wheels.
If you don't swap them over then the dumbass light comes on and stays on. this will drive you crazy. trust me.