1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Personal experience/opinion wanted!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Manitouman88, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    Manitouman88

Manitouman88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Goshen, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 sr5
    What's up guys, so here's the deal. A few months ago I picked up a set of 17inch FJ Cruiser wheels with used 265 70 17 hankook dynapro Mt's. I slapped them on in place of the stock steelies on my 2012 DCLB, and instantly fell in love. In my opinion those wheels with an aggressive mud terrain look bad ass on this truck. Anyway, I ran them through the rest of the winter and noticed a few things: 1) the ride was a lot different from the stockers. That's being generous actually, it was downright rough. Believe me I understand it wasn't going to ride like a Cadillac with that combo, but man it seemed really rough to me. Also, I live out in the sticks of NH, so the frost heaves didn't help either....2) noise, not really a big deal, I just turn up the tunes. Plus they are second hand mud terrains...And finally 3) looks. I found myself looking back at my truck whenever I walked away from it way to often, cause this style of truck looks so gnarly with that setup. Lol I really don't wanna lose that look!

So here we are in the spring, and it's time to replace the used tires. I put back on the stock steelies tonight and was a little disgusted....kinda looks like a napa delivery truck minus the hat on the roof.... I am looking forward to the smooth quiet ride for a little while though! I've been scouring the web for my next tires and figured I'd ask and see if you guys cared to weigh in.
    To help out I'll list my preferences and necessities in order of importance:

price (I'm a cheap bastard and don't wanna spend more than 700 bucks on 4 of em...I've been driving around on used tires for Christ sake!)

Looks ( skinny steelies suck! I need that aggressive look)

Ride (I don't wanna rattle my fillings outta my head and beat the truck to death)

Noise (hardly that important. This is what radios are for right??)

Finally, I should probably add, I'm not a serious off-roader. I run dirt logging trails hunting and fishing, but that's about it. And of course winter conditions.

So I'm anxious to hear what you guys can come up with. If you suggest something and have a pic of them on your truck I'd love to see that too! Thanks!!

2. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    Manitouman88

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Goshen, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 sr5
    Here's a pic with the FJ wheels and hankooks:

image.jpg

3. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Truck looks NOICE! :D

As for the aggressive look your wanting there aren't many options other than Mud Terrains. The most popular and agressive looking all terrain tire would be the Wrangler Duratrac. I've heard good things about this tire, although the tread blocks are similar to a MT it's still considered an AT.

Another option in an AT is the cooper ST Maxx. It has somewhat of an agressive sidewall and tread.

Other than these 2 tires I would think you would need to go with another MT to achieve the agressive style. Also, if you want to add to the look, some wheel spacers would give the truck a "squatting" look to it which adds to the style your going for.

4. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:24 PM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Forgot to mention... Who knows how those dynapro MT's were taken care of. MT's need to be balanced and rotated religiously. If you were feeling a harsh ride from the tires (other than regular MT vibes) then they probably weren't maintained properly, or they were just defective/ bad tires.

5. Apr 11, 2014 at 4:04 AM
    Manitouman88

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Goshen, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 sr5
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I was pretty skeptical about the used tires, but I figured, what the heck, why not try them out for a few months. Anyway I dont think I'd buy another used set.

I checked out out the duratracs, and theyre a pretty slick looking tire! kinda pricey though, but they certainly come highly rated. Ill do a search and read a bit more about them. As for the Coopers, I will check those out as well. Any tips/suggestions about where to buy? Ive always bought my tires at a local store, but the internet prices make it an attractive option! Thanks again

6. Apr 11, 2014 at 5:20 PM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    Discount does price match and always has discounts. You can search for the cheapest price online then try to have them match/ beat the price, which they should be able to do

7. Apr 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM
    royvis

royvis New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 sr5
    hi I share your need for a smoother ride. I have an older camry and the difference between the camry an the Tacoma is unreal. I don't need the aggressive look my wrangler tires have .What would you guys suggest for someone who drives in a pothole city and on the highway?

8. Apr 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    The michelin LTX tires (M/S or A/T) ride so nicely you'll swear you did something to your suspension.

When I first installed bilstein 5100s cranked all the way up, I had the stock tires on and the ride was really harsh. I put some used LTX of the same size on and the ride felt better than stock.

The only drawback to the LTX is that they don't look aggressive if that's important to you. It isn't important to me and they've done very well for me on and off road. I'm running the A/Ts in 285 now and I love them.

9. Apr 17, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    Manitouman88

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Goshen, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 sr5
    Thank for the great info so far guys!

So this is what Ive narrowed it down too: The more reasearch I do, I think an A/T tire is really more what I need, than a MT. Just because I spend a fair amount of time on the road and ride is pretty important. Discount Tire has got some great internet pricing for the following:

-Falken Wild Peak A/T

-Cooper Discoverer A/T3

So Let's hear some recent reviews from owners of either of these tires!

Price is basically the same, and I will say I think the Falkens seem to have a little bit more aggressive treads. Very interested to hear what you guys think! Pics are always welcome too!

10. Apr 17, 2014 at 11:06 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Have you looked at the Hankook Dynapro ATm? I have a set in 265/70/17 on my Tacoma with the same rims as you and I really love the tires (and think they look pretty good). They have some sidewall designs on them to make them look a little beefier.

photo_3bdf35fe7b2206bc323a6dc474ede62f627371e0.jpg

11. Apr 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    Manitouman88

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Goshen, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 sr5
    Nice, I'll take a look at the Hankook's but I've owned a pair in the past and wasn't really happy with the wear. And I like the looks of the BFG's but holy cow they're so frigin expensive. $200+ A tire is more than I'm looking to spend at this point in time. Thanks for the Input though!

12. Apr 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    Bobcape

Bobcape Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Black Hills, SD
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB SR-5
    I recently bought a set of Hankook Dynapro ATm tires for my truck. Only had 15K on the factory tires. They were junk in snow and mud. The tire store gave me $40 a piece for them on trade, I didn't have to pay the $15 per tire disposal and they matched WalMart's online price of $125 each. Heck of a deal I thought. I went with nitrogen fill and also filled my spare with nitrogen. I have about 800 miles on them. Nearly half that on Forest Service snowy and muddy roads. Very happy with them compared to the stock tires.

Bob

Products Discussed in

To Top