1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rims and hubcentric questions.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by NightProwler, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Apr 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Wanting to figure out exactly what brand of rims I have so I can get a matching one for the spare. (Got a 01 Tacoma prerunner.)
    They were on there when I bought it a while ago..They look like they could be either pro comp or eagle or ion. That's all I've seen so far that look similar. I suppose if I get the wrong style I could send it back. Or just not use it when rotating them. It will be mounted in the bed so I don't want a different style when people are gonna see it..
    Or is there some kinda stamp on the rims from the manufacturer? On the inside or something?

I've thought about getting different rims entirely but not sure I really need to. I know these aren't meant to fit. There is a 1/4"(I think) spacer for the fronts as it rubs calipers. I went to discount to get a tire plugged a while back and they said they wouldn't service it again because of those. They said they would only do it if I got correct rims OR hub centric wheel spacers for these. Which doesn't make sense if I get hub centric spacers without hub centric wheels. It's the same thing wither way. It becomes lug centric if the bore doesn't match right??
    I plan to get tires through discount as I've had really good experiences with them and want to get some kind of warranty. I could do withought all that and just get them plugged at big o because they'll do it for me. But I just won't have a warranty is all. So I'm trying to figure out what route to go before I plunge in and get everything.
    In my opinion I think I'd be fine with the same rims I have and purchase an extra matching rim for the spare. And get actual bolt on wheel spacers. Even then I don't think they'll service them anyways not being hub centric. From my understanding most rims are not hub centric. I know mine are not. But they fit up fine using tapered lug nuts. Not sure if this could cause any balancing issues or not after being bolted up. I do have a bad wobble but I think it's just from the angle of the driveshaft as it's lifted.
    Anyways, I was thinking of getting non hub centric wheel spacers (bolt on) and just use the same rims. Because I don't wanna be limited to the few rims that 'are' actually hub centric. And just do without any warranties. Big o will service them for me and usually have coupons for free flat repairs. If nothing else I have the kit to plug it myself but I hate doing it. Pain in the ass with some tires. Another thing is I had to install longer studs in the front as the originals were too short and it looks like the previous owner didn't realize that and tried bolteimg the rim on with very little threads and ended up with 2 studs that were stripped. At the time I didn't even know about the bolt on wheel spacers as I would've went that route. So my question for that is if I do decide to get the bolt on wheel spacers, I'll need to pit back in shorter studs again right?

So where I'm going with this, is I'm wondering if there's any issues with running non hub centric wheels with spacers besides the bullshit discount tire policies..
    And again if anyone knows what brand rims I have or how to find out exactly I'd appreciate it.
    2012-08-02_18-16-21_717_1_zps6c840e4c_496ff21b884a7fad858d3774222caedaef78224f.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top