1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nitto Terra Graplers Vs.Toyo Open Country AT2

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by JayB27, May 22, 2014.

1. May 22, 2014 at 2:45 PM
    JayB27

JayB27 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Orange County, CA.
    Vehicle:
    10' White DCSB Pre Runnner
    Debadged, Plasti-Dip Wheels, Color Matched Satoshi grille, Ebay Seat Covers =P, Painted Black and white Radio surround, Blue Interior Dome light, White Maps lights, Fishing Rod Holder. All done by me.
    Hi Everyone,

I'm lifting my truck next week and Upgrading my tires to some P285/70/17.

I was planning on getting the NTG's after doing research for past few months, Have seen mostly all good reviews. But I ran across these Toyo's which look slightly more aggressive. and I like the look on those a bit more. Trying to get an opinion from some members on the who have had both?

I'll be doing mostly pavement driving since its my daily driver. Mild Off Roading, Couple times a year in snow. But mostly dry and wet pavement. Id love to get the G.Y. DURATRACS, But They are a little out of my price range for this set. Trying to stay around 800 and the tires i mentioned are in that range or lower. My current tires cooper ATR's are horrid. Any time they touch water They get sketchy.

Thanks for any advice or tips. If you have a different tire you would recommend let me know.

2. May 22, 2014 at 2:59 PM
    JayB27

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Orange County, CA.
    Vehicle:
    Debadged, Plasti-Dip Wheels, Color Matched Satoshi grille, Ebay Seat Covers =P, Painted Black and white Radio surround, Blue Interior Dome light, White Maps lights, Fishing Rod Holder. All done by me.
    I wasn't going to get new tires and lift for a few more months but I just had a blow out getting off the freeway. And I need to replace the tires anyways so i figured id just get all 4 and lift. You would never guess what was lodged in my damn tire...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. May 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    WittyTaco

WittyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greyson
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Prerunner TRD Super White
    3" Pro Comp Suspension Lift, 2 JL 10's and Plasti Dip
    Im no tire expert, but i have been debating getting one of these two tires for a while now. Having seen both in person they are both very good looking tires, and probably perform well on road. The Open Country A/T II's appear to have larger voids in between the tread blocks and deeper tread than the Terra Grapplers, and that is why they are my first choice. It all comes down to what you want, and you cant go wrong with either tire IMO. They are both pretty good value compared to other aggressive name brand AT tires.

4. May 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    WittyTaco

WittyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greyson
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Prerunner TRD Super White
    3" Pro Comp Suspension Lift, 2 JL 10's and Plasti Dip
    And thats crazy a wrench poked right through your tire! :eek:

5. May 22, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    JayB27

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Orange County, CA.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I am leaning towards the Toyo's as well. I also like the 65k Mile warranty. Although people say they get around 50k out of the nittos, Its not guaranteed.

And Yes, It is crazy. I couldn't believe it when i got out and checked..

6. May 22, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    tarheeler

tarheeler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newport News, Va
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD offroad
    3" lift
    The Toyo tires with 65k warranty are P rated and LT rated are 50k I believe. The P rated are not as aggressive looking as the LT. I'm looking at them too

7. May 22, 2014 at 3:53 PM
    JayB27

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Orange County, CA.
    Vehicle:
    Yes, I know. I am looking at the P rated. There is a tread dedicated to the Toyo AT2's and a guy posted a few pictures of the P rated tires and they look pretty good still, But yes Less aggressive compared to the LT's.

8. May 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    jimbo33l

jimbo33l Tacodile.... Supreme

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Baytown, TX
    Vehicle:
    12 DC Off Rd 4x4
    I have the p rated and to me they look just fine on my truck I have been very satisfied with them. agytubun_a07fdf79053a03281d90834fca9425b2d0105d54.jpg kind of hard to tell in this pic but to me they are aggressive enough but still are very well mannered on the road.

9. May 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    Postmasteroats

Postmasteroats Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NW Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4DC 6 TRD sport
    I had the Toyo AT's and they went well over 50,000. I put on the Toyo AT2's last fall and they are much quieter than the AT and they have a nice grip in snow since I live in snow country in NW Minnesota.

10. May 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    T-rev

T-rev Resident Mall Crawler

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    For what it's worth, I ran two sets of Nitto's. One load range E, the other load range D. I couldn't make either set last more than 30K miles..

I have had the Toyo AT2 P metric on for 5K miles now and not only do they perform better on street, dirt, and rain, but they also still look brand new.

11. May 25, 2014 at 5:24 PM
    JayB27

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Orange County, CA.
    Vehicle:
    Nice, Thanks for all the input guys. Im going to get some pricing on the toyos and see about getting them.. I just finished puting my lift on today.

Products Discussed in

To Top