1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recommend me a tire?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by IronBagel, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Jun 1, 2014 at 11:09 AM
    IronBagel

IronBagel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB
    So I've been stuck with my H/T Dunlops that came on it when I bought my truck for quite some time now, and because they have too much tread left to justify selling them or replacing them in my book. But now their tread life is coming to an end and I'm curious as to what you guys think would suit my needs best. During the summer, my tires almost never leave pavement say for maybe occasionally messing around with some friends offroad. During the summer I drive maybe 300-500 miles a week. However during the winter my driving habits change. I work at a museum and when it closes for winter I go to work as a snowboard instructor and find myself often in snow (as one might expect haha). To prevent getting caught behind a minivan going 5 mph up the whole mountain I take the back way up the mountain (its also fun as hell :D). The road is unpaved and untreated. Last season the Dunlops struggled for traction quite a bit there. So in short my driving is mixed based on the seasons summer is 95% pavement and in winter a big portion of my commute is up an unpaved road to a ski slope. So I'd love to hear some opinions that would help me decide on what to buy!
    Thanks for reading
    ~Bagel

2. Jun 1, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    If the OEM tires functioned, you should look at Firestone Destination LE 2. They are much better and about the same price as the OEMs (or less). Some of my friends have them on their Trucks and SUV's they liked them.

3. Jun 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    George P. Burdell

George P. Burdell THWG

Member:
    Upstate, SC
    Vehicle:
    14' MGM PreRunner.
    Just a few minor things.
    Can't go wrong with Michelin LTX MS2. I have a set on my Tacoma. I had a set of the first generation of this tire (LTX MS) on my last truck. Rotated them every time I changed my oil and they lasted just over six years.

4. Jun 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    With those wildly different habits, I think you're going to be far better off getting a highway tire (for which I can offer really no suggestions), or one of the less aggressive AT tires, and then finding a cheaper set of used wheels and putting studded winter tires on them.

5. Jun 1, 2014 at 5:20 PM
    Bagman

Bagman Dental Floss Tycoon

Member:
    Area 51
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I would check into Cooper ATP's. Our driving conditions are very similar and I am very satisfied with the Coopers.

6. Jun 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM
    NoSilverBullet

NoSilverBullet N60 member

Member:
    Northern Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 2.7 MT 4wd
    Old Man Emu suspension: 884x coils, Dakar leaf pack, Nitrocharger Sport shocks. Cruisin Offroad bolt-on sliders. Relentless Fabrication aluminum front and mid skid plates + steel transfer case skid. SnugTop Hi-Liner "Sportsman" canopy. Hella Rallye 4000i Xenon (flood beam).
    +1

If I was in this situation, I'd get a new set of summer/highway tires and, when the season comes, a separate set of dedicated winter tires.

Considering the mileage you do in the summer, there's a good chance a good set of "all season" tires wont last long anyways.

7. Jun 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM
    Jag868

Jag868 Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAB TRD Off-Road
    flowmaster exhaust, 17" chaos wheels.
    Hankook DynaPro ATM's are working great for me.

8. Jun 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Hankook DynaPro ATMs aren't well known, but good ratings. Not as expensive as the GY DuraTrac, but I couldn't resist. Good tire if you have the money.

9. Jun 13, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    IronBagel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB
    I think a less aggressive all terrain may be the answer, I was thinking something along the lines of Firestone's Destination A/T or Michelin's A/T. On the other hand I've heard that General Grabber AT2s are really good in snow, anyone care to validate that for me?

10. Jun 13, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    I had absolutely no issues with my AT2s in snow this winter. A few times I drove to work in 12+ inches on unpaved highway @ 50mph. HOWEVER lateral traction could be better. They're not so good on ice unless studded.

11. Jun 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 LQ4 4L80E
    Just the essentials and no extra fluff.
    Overland Journal did a all terrain tire comparison and judged the Cooper Discoverer AT3 to be both the editor's choice and best value. They didn't include any snow tests, but I have heard they are also excellent in the snow. The Cooper ATP is a similar tire sold exclusively by Discount Tire and would also be worth a look. The 235/85-16 AT3 is what I'm planning on putting on my truck before next winter.

Unfortunately they are not severe weather tested so they lack the magic snowflake on the sidewall. If you need something with this rating the Goodyear Duratrac would be my next choice. I recommend Discount Tire to everybody. They have always taken care of me and their prices are pretty reasonable, too.

12. Jun 13, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    Royden

Royden Active Member

Member:
    lost somewhere in NW Mt.
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB Taco
    agree with others - two sets of tires/wheels

245 / 75 /16 michelin ms2

and

dedicated studded winter tires.

I put on the michelin ms2 a couple of weeks ago - my mpg jumped from 20 to 21 hwy instantly. lighter, smoother, narrower tire can't hurt mpg's. They look fine to boot ...

13. Jun 13, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I've had the Michelin LTX M/S2's on two Tacoma's now. I can't say enough about how much I like them...

14. Jun 15, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    IronBagel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB
    I'm trying to stay away from the dedicated studs because a big part of my drive to the resort is on the highway, and I'm still driving around 300 miles a week, possibly more this winter. So that'd be why I'm thinking of a less aggressive all terrain.

15. Jun 15, 2014 at 6:32 PM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    toyo at II or cooper at3

16. Jun 18, 2014 at 5:25 AM
    Royden

Royden Active Member

Member:
    lost somewhere in NW Mt.
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB Taco
    I wouldn't let that decide me ... decent driving habits - no jack rabbit starts and hard cornering - and studs will last a long time even on the highway. If your still in doubt, at least get a set of siped, studless winter tires. Siped tires are just as good in all but a few situations and better for breaking on smooth hardtop.

Because of TW I have done a fair amount of tire research and came to the conclusion for mpg that light, narrow tires are the best for the Taco. Local tire shop gave me grief for going 245/75/16 6ply dedicated winter tires (they wanted to put me in a ten ply) - but the studs were 20#'s less than the studded hankooks I had the year before. I wanted 235's or even 225's for a winter tire, but in 6 ply it wasn't happening...

AVG mpg for the winter was a hair over 18 - call it 18 mpg to be safe. We put around 7000 miles on the studs with a small amount of wear. I could get you the exact wear numbers/miles if you want...

On personal vehicles I expect to get 3-4 years out of a set... on work pickups (heavy, loaded, and driven hard) I get 2 years.

:)

rc

17. Jun 27, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    IronBagel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB
    Still deciding to stay away from he studded tires as I have snow chains for days where it is realy bad. Did a little more thought and have (pretty much decided) on Hankook DynaPro ATM's they appear to be not too aggressive and they look good which while it may seem shallow is a concern of mine :eek:. That being said I've always run Michelin's in the past but never had any experience with their all terrain. And the Firestone all terrain isn't far behind seeing as it is quite light compared to other all terrains. I haven't found any reviews saying which of those is best in the snow, but if one of those was just genrally kick ass in the snow that'd probably be what I'd pick. So my biggest concerns are still not killing my MPG and doing well in snow. Again one more tire I am considering is the DuraTrac, I've heard it does amazing in snow and is fairly light for how aggressive it looks. I'd just be concerned by how much those would drop my mpg.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  18. Jun 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    IronBagel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB
    After doing a little more research I have definitively decided on Goodyear's new Adventure A/T with Kevlar. Seems to be a non aggressive fairly light all terrain that does excellent in the snow and ice. Also with a 60,000 mile warranty it seems hard to beat. I'll be sure to follow up with a review of how it does highway and offroad alike.

19. Jul 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    Royden

Royden Active Member

Member:
    lost somewhere in NW Mt.
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB Taco
    sounds like a good choice
    is the 245/75/16 a 6 ply? or 10 ply...

20. Jul 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    Check the weight on the goodyear tires,if I remember rite,they might be much heavier then stock
    How about the Yokohama Geolander ats,I just ordered some. I will get some pics up after they arrive

Products Discussed in

To Top