1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New tires and no TPMS Problems

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by anthrobe, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jun 2, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    anthrobe

anthrobe [OP] New Member

Member:
    Been a lurker around here for quite some time and now it is time to post. I put my 3rd set of tires on my 07 Tacoma. I decided to go with the Cooper Discoverer ATP tires. The truck had a flat so I had a the spare tire on. Dropped the truck off and picked it up a few hours later from Discount tire. Driving home I noticed my TPMS light was on. I checked all 4 tires and also the spare. I noticed that the spare does not have a TPMS sensor installed. All pressures were within spec at 34-35psi. I calibrated the setup again with button below the steering wheel according to the owners manual. Still the light will not go off. Took it back to discount in which they confirmed that all sensors were working. Their little handheld thingy stated that the spare should have a TPMS sensor installed. This is the original spare when we purchased the truck new in 07. They stated that they did not dismount the spare tire from the rim when installing new tires. I have read that they removed the TPMS sensors starting in 09. Did the 07 prerunner TRD have a TPMS sensor on the spare?

Looking in the owners manual, there is a short statement that some tires will not work with the TPMS sensors. Anyone have any experience with this? I do not want to disable this setup, or put black tape on the dashboard, or pull the LED bulb. I would like to get to the bottom of this without having to go to the dealer and pay a diagnostic fee.

I will discuss with discount again for I have to take the truck back in. They did not balance the tires right and I have a shimmy starting at 55mph. Any input would be appreciated.

07 Tacoma Prerunner TRD

2. Jun 2, 2014 at 7:01 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Your 2007 should have had a TPMS sensor in the spare, mine did. Sounds like the tire shop is pulling some funny business if one of your sensors suddenly disappeared...

3. Jun 12, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    07DoubleTaco

07DoubleTaco Member

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    I just had a set of 265/75-16 Cooper Discoverer ATP tires put on my 07 DC. I did get the TPMS rebuild kits when I had them installed. So far I've not had any problems. I will say that they are quite a bit louder than I expected. Also, several months ago, I had the TPMS light come and it was coming from my spare.

4. Jun 30, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    anthrobe

anthrobe [OP] New Member

Member:
    Well the issue is finally resolved. After the 3rd time in the issue was still not resolved and they still insisted that they did not remove the spare tire from the rim. I looked at my paperwork on the tires I had replaced. They were mounted in October 2011. I checked the current spare tire date code in which it was manufactured the twenty second week in 2011. That proved they removed the tire from the rim and removed the TPMS sensor. I wrote an email in the customer feedback section on the corporate website. The next day the manager of the store called and apologized and wanted me to come in so he could resolve the issue. They installed a new sensor on the spare and offered a new spare tire. I declined the spare and went on my way. I hope that next time they listen to their customers and actually look into the problem. I am now on the fence with the cooper tires. They so not balance well in which I have a nice vibration starting at 65mph. I will have them balanced again and if not resolved, off they go and Good Year/BFG tires will be installed.

Products Discussed in

To Top