1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Have Duratracs, Want Grabbers, Thoughts??

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 2stroketrush, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jun 2, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    2stroketrush

2stroketrush [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler Addison Rush
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    Built 97 ExtraCab
    Overland Purpose Built 97 going on 190K.
    So I have had my 31x10 duratracs for about 35k miles now and I'm ready to get rid of them. I love the look of the red lettered General Tire Grabber's, and the reviews speak for themselves. I know my Duratracs are a Big heavy aggressive tire, but my question is would I notice much of a change if I went wot the grabbers? Anyone know which is heavier?

2. Jun 2, 2014 at 9:32 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    Moving from one crappy tire to another. Shouldn't matter.

Sorry. I don't know what reviews you're reading.

All that said, the grabbers will be a heavier tire.

3. Jun 2, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Grabbers will be heavier. As an FYI, I had AT2's on a Nissan Hardbody and they chopped like crazy even with regular rotations (we're talking every 3k miles; I rotated the tires whenever I changed the oil) and obsessive air pressure maintenance.

I'd say that the Grabbers started out quieter than the Duratracs, but as soon as they chopped they were noisy as hell. The Duratracs are better in the snow than my Generals were, and better in the rain.

My opinion would be to stick with the Duratracs. And I've got to disagree with Box Rocket's opinion about them being a crappy tire; No tire gets a huge and loyal following by being crappy, and the Duratrac fanbase is definitely huge.
    I've run Cooper ST's and STT's, General AT2's, BF Goodrich TA/KO's, and Bridgestone AT's on vehicles in the past, and my honest opinion is that the Duratrac is a better all around tire (and that's not just because they're what's on my truck at the moment).

4. Jun 2, 2014 at 11:14 AM
    JTS2016TACO

JTS2016TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM 4x4 TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    See my build thread in my signature
    x2 on this

5. Jun 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    2stroketrush

2stroketrush [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler Addison Rush
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    Built 97 ExtraCab
    Overland Purpose Built 97 going on 190K.
    So anyone have thoughts on a decent tire then? I drive about 75% on road, 25% off, but i do like the aggressive look that both have to offer.

6. Jun 2, 2014 at 11:25 AM
    Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRDOR
    Black Sand Pearl factory paint - flattened "au natural" by tree branches.
    I think you would be disappointed with the grabbers after the initial bite from the lugs wears off. The C rated duratracs are one of the lightest semi aggressive tire out there if I recall correctly. One of my trucks came with C rated duratracs, I put them on my tacoma (same bolt pattern) and was pleasantly surprised at how well they did offroad in snow, not very good in mud though. If you want something more aggressive what about the MTR Ks?

7. Jun 2, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Maybe I was too vague before.

You should get another set of Duratracs.
    Buy some Duratracs.
    Stick with Duratracs.
    You want more Duratracs.
    Replace your current Duratracs with a set of Duratracs
    I'd highly recommend the Duratracs.
    Duratracs.

Plus, there's a Rebate that started today and ends on 7/31 for $60 off of a set of Duratracs.
    www.goodyearrebates.com

.....Duratracs. :D

8. Jun 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    DaVikes

DaVikes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Colorado Sports Car
    Arb front bumper, warn winch, All Pro rear bumper, OME up front, OME and All Pro Standard in Back, ARB locker, 34 x 10.5 KO2's, 17" Level 8 Trackers, and fancy single piece driveshaft.
    The Overland Journal tested a bunch of A/T tires in the latest issue and decided that the Cooper Discoverer AT/3 was the best. Sorry but to get the rest of the results you'll have to buy the magazine. They tested the tires both on road and off. On road tests included skid pad, stopping, handling, wet traction, road noise, and braking. Off road included higher speed dirt road tests and rock crawling tests. They were drifting trucks at highway speeds. They also had a rock face climbing test. (Only the Cooper and 2 or 3 other tires passed it out of 10+ tires.)

9. Jun 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    JTS2016TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I love my Toyo ATII's by far my favorite all terrain I have ever had. I have also had the BFG All terrains. But here in AZ a lot of members have different tires I have seen duratracs, Cooper ATP's, Hancook ATM's, and Falkin Wildpeak AT's all take a beating but the duratracs always failed on the sharp edges of rocks I think they were C rated and the sidewall blow out. It's all choice but the general concensus for our state is that grabbers are terrible and heavy tires.

10. Jun 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    Duratracs are super popular but that doesn't make them a great tire. They are newish and tire stores are pushing them like mad. People that want an aggressive looking tire but don't want to pay for Toyo MTs eating them up. before everyone thinks I'm just bashing the tire. There are some redeeming qualities to the duratrac. They aren't super noisy for an "aggressive" AT tire and they do well for winter driving. Other than that, they have paper thin sidewalls, and horrible treadlife. So I guess if you aren't worried about sidewall punctures and don't mind replacing tires more often than necessary then they're a good option.

I prefer not to deal with either of those problems, so I'll never run Duratracs. That shouldn't stop somebody else from using them.

The Grabbers are very heavy and their traction diminishes quickly after they're new. In the dirt/rocks they don't get good reviews. Mediocre reviews about performance in sand. Dismal reviews about performance in snow. They are tire for looks more than anything IMO. If that's what you're after, that's cool. Some people get stuff for looks and that's fine.

11. Jun 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Well after 20 years of running BFG ATs exclusively, I bought a set of Goodyear All Terrain Wranglers w/Kevlar.

I have no idea what I'm in store for. But I'll let the forum know after a significant time of on road and off road driving.

12. Jun 2, 2014 at 1:11 PM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Can't imagine why people would ever think that...:rolleyes:

Other points mentioned will not be addressed because I'm not interested in getting into a contest about whose wang hangs lower (mostly because unwrapping it from my leg takes too long, :D!)

13. Jun 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    I can tell you LOVE your Duratracs. :rolleyes: No point in trying to change that. I still stand by my comments. Duratracs are crappy tires, plain an simple. Just one guys opinion.

For the life of me I can't understand why a difference of opinion is interpreted to be a "dick comparison". And why people get all bent out of shape if someone says anything bad about their product of choice. You guys needs to grow a pair and get some thicker skin. Go back to the mall and post more fuely stats or something.

I made some legitimate comments about the strengths and weaknesses of the Duratracs. When did this forum turn into a bunch pansies who can't abide some criticism of a product they like? I know full well that there are people who don't like some of the products that I use and think highly of, big deal.

14. Jun 2, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    Snowy

Snowy Is neither here nor there

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Winnebago, IL
    Vehicle:
    3 linked 98 Xtra cab
    Stock-ish
    Box Rocket gave a legitimate pro's and con's argument for duratrac's, just because you don't agree doesn't mean anybody is wrong. Just have different intentions/expectations. For a pavement pounding truck, the duratrac fits the bill. Looks aggressive, quiet, good on ice and snow. Easy sell for people that want an aggressive AT that don't wheel hard. If you're spending time on the trail then the duratrac is a relative poor choice compared to other options available because of the weak sidewall, etc

YMMV

15. Jun 2, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    It was a joke...about how people on here take their opinions too seriously and don't have enough of a sense of humor...

Which you took literally...

But yes, I do love my Duratracs. I don't live in Utah, so when I go up to camp there's not an abundance of sharp rocks to risk sidewall punctures with. Around here the rocks are mostly glacial and have rounder edges.
    On the other hand, around here there's six months of cold weather, snow, and ice. Then there's a month or two of mud. My Duratracs are perfectly suited for getting me out into the back woods no matter what the weather is. Tons of plow guys up here use the Duratracs because their snow traction is phenomenal. They're not just a tire for "mall crawlers"

You're discounting a tire as "Crappy" because you don't think it works for your interests in your area (despite having zero personal experience with the tire on your rig, but that's another kettle of fish entirely).
    Speaking from personal experience with the Duratracs this winter vs with MT tires in the past, the Duratracs are a much better tire for getting deep into the back country through a foot or two of snow. Despite that, I'm not dropping blanket statements about MT tires being crap just because they don't work for what I use them for.

I'll agree and disagree at the same time.

Box Rocket's first post was pure troll. Didn't offer anything helpful, merely an inflammatory statement about the OP's tires of interest.

Second post was legitimate as it offered examples and explanation.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  16. Jun 2, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    JTS2016TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:

I'm with box rocket on this one

17. Jun 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    DylansBase

DylansBase Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Murfreesboro TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB Taco TRD Off-road
    Bilstein 5100 w/OME 886 All pro expo leafs w/icon 2.0 Relentless Fab plate bumper BFG KO2
    I haven't heard any negatives about BFG KM2s at all

18. Jun 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    Pure Troll huh that didn't offer anything helpful? Look at the OP's first question. He asked which was heavier. I answered it.

I'm not discounting the tire because it doesn't work for my uses. There are TONS of people here in Utah that run Duratracs. I've already complimented their winter performance which is about the only thing they are really good for. The rest of my comments are factual. Compare the Duratracs to any comparable "aggressive" AT and the sidewall is weaker, and the treadlife is much worse. Those are the facts.

Sorry man, you're striking out. Any you're excuse for a joke was a lame attempt to backtrack on your dick wagging comments. If you're complaining about not having firsthand experience, then why are you commenting in a 1st Gen section when you clearly have a second gen truck?

19. Jun 2, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Me either. Most of the stuff I've read has been "first impression" type info, but they're still a pretty new tire so that's to be expected, really.

20. Jun 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    This proves to me that you have no idea what you're talking about. The KM2 have been around for a while and are not what I would consider "new". There are plenty of long term reviews on them. I've even posted a review on them since I ran a set and had about 60K miles on a set.

Products Discussed in

To Top