1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie Question: Wheel/Tire Compatibility

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Poriab, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Jun 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    Poriab

Poriab [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeromy
    Upstate, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 2Dr 4WD
    I have an '06 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4.

I'm looking to upgrade my SR5 Steel Wheels (16x7) with something that can hold a slightly bigger tire for now, with potential to go bigger later.

My biggest question is what other 6 bolt Toyota wheels are cross-compatible? In other words, if I get 17x7.5 '05 TRD Sport Wheels, would I be OK? Can I just bolt-up and go? Will I run into a lot of extra cost updating the TPMS? Will I need spacers?

Also, I'd be looking at going with a tire size of 275/70/17 which I've read should be OK on the stock suspension without rub.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I come from more of a horsepower seeking background and am new to truck upgrading. I've tried reading through other threads and the stickys, but can't quite find my answer.

2. Mar 13, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    jorelp

jorelp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorel
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab SR5
    Im also looking for wheel compatibility. I scored a good set of 285 70 17 goodyear duratracs but i have 16' wheels.
    wondering what ford or chev wheels would fit.

3. Mar 14, 2015 at 8:12 PM
    mainewoodsballer

mainewoodsballer YESSAHBUD...heyut

Member:
    First Name:
    Ol' Waltah
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport (Pyrite Mica)
    Check out my Build to See!
    you should be able to use the 17in wheel, but I would just buy a nice set of aftermarket wheels (if thats what you want). You can get some pretty good deals online.

4. Mar 14, 2015 at 8:25 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    the trd sport wheels would be fine.

toss a coin - the 275/70R17 tires might rub on your upper control arm. There's not much space in there.

If you go to aftermarket wheels - you may have the opposite problem - rubbing at flaps, and various parts of the wheelwell at full lock.

At stock height, I'd suggest going to 265/70R17 on TRD sport wheels. Those should work.

5. Apr 6, 2015 at 10:01 AM
    jorelp

jorelp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorel
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab SR5
    Has anyone mentioned installing wheel spacers which would give you ability to use any chev 6bolt wheels?
    As far as I can tell the only chev wheels you can use are aftermarket mags with a larger center hole. But with wheel spacers it looks like you can use them all because it brings the rim out past the lip of the hubs.

6. Apr 6, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    This is a bad idea all together.

7. Apr 6, 2015 at 10:07 AM
    NorthwestCruiser

NorthwestCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser
    Custom 3 link, 40's etc..
    The wheels MUST be 6x5.5 (or 137cm I think), then you know they will fit assuming they clear the calipers.

Products Discussed in

To Top