285/75-R16 vs 305/70-R16

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
TacoTy is on a distinguished road

Army: Master Gunner A-TRP, 1-10 CAV
Name: Ty
TacoTy's Tacoma Gallery
285/75-R16 vs 305/70-R16

So doing a little research on tires and have been going more towards the 285's, but I found a tire I may be interested in and the closest they make to that size is the 305's. I used the tire calculator with these results -

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...5r16-305-70r16

So I have done extensive reading here about how the 285's may or may not rub with a 3 inch lift, which is what I will be putting on. I guess my question is, is it the width of the tire that causes the rubbing or the height?

What kind of trouble may I run into with a 3 inch lift and putting the 305's on?

Thank you very much!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
It's a combination of a lot of things that causes rub. Can be diameter and height, and also wheel specs. All effect it and can cause rub in different ways and places, theres no one exact answer.
But generally, a wider tire is more likely to rub when turning due to the extra width. Rubbing UCA is possible with too much back space/too little offset, and the flip side is too little back space/too much negative offset will cause the tire to 'scrub' more when turning and rub cab mount as well as possibly frame rail at full lock(frame rub is more of a 1st gen tacoma thing though)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #3

TacoTy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
It's a combination of a lot of things that causes rub. Can be diameter and height, and also wheel specs. All effect it and can cause rub in different ways and places, theres no one exact answer.
But generally, a wider tire is more likely to rub when turning due to the extra width. Rubbing UCA is possible with too much back space/too little offset, and the flip side is too little back space/too much negative offset will cause the tire to 'scrub' more when turning and rub cab mount as well as possibly frame rail at full lock(frame rub is more of a 1st gen tacoma thing though)

Thank you very much for a quick answer.

So what is the best way to figure this out? Go to the store and have them mount the tires and test it out? (can you even do this?)
Old 06-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

which wheels are you looking at. I can give you a good idea of what to expect just by knowing which wheels you plan to go with
Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #5

TacoTy's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so two tires I am looking at.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....6WDT&tab=Sizes
or
https://www.ntwonline.com/lt305-70r1...l#.U6BwM_ldVAp

I will be getting OME TACOMA SUSPENSION LIFT KIT with 885 and top spacers plus AAL in the rear. Also will have LR UCA's
Old 06-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #6

Ok but which wheels? You'll need aftermarket wheels for those tires regardless of which ones you choose
Old 06-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #7

TacoTy's Tacoma Gallery
awwww wheels you say! Misread that

I am looking at getting some 16x8" Konig Countersteer Offroad

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...-offroads.html
Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
Beads is on a distinguished road
Name: Corey
Beads's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need to worry about the front rubbing with 285's as long as you have a 2.5" lift or bigger in the front. Your wheels have to have a 4.5" backspacing though. The rear is what you need to worry about when you go wheelin'. I have 285/75R16's and in the rear I have the 5100 billie struts with Icon leaf pack (add 3). I went wheelin' today for the first time since I lifted the truck and my tire grabbed the front of the rear fender flair when I was at full stuff and ripped it right off on both sides. I just wanted to let you know that if you plan on running 285/75/16 (aka 33" tires), then you will need to either lift more than the infamous aal as everyone on TW suggests, or run smaller tires. Here are pictures of the damage. I included a side picture of my truck before the fender flair mishap. Good luck with your decision...

Old 08-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
ProPhaze777 is a jewel in the roughProPhaze777 is a jewel in the roughProPhaze777 is a jewel in the rough

ProPhaze777's Tacoma Gallery
Bump for more info on 305s, in the market right now. What lift should be attained in the rear and with what?! Maybe Ome full kit with Dakar in the rear?

Products Discussed in this Thread