View Poll Results: Which tires?
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 608 78.15%
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor 111 14.27%
Other (post in thread) 59 7.58%
Voters: 778. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #61
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I know it's an old thread but I've had both. The Silent Armors are shit. While on a trail with my Ranger and other Ranger buddies I couldn't climb a simple snow covered section of paved road. I was at the bottom in 2nd gear 4wd high spinning all 4 tires not going anywhere while another 4wd Ranger cruised up the same hill with no problem while on BFG ATs. I switched to BFG and never looked back.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #62
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is old, but just saw it. Love my BFGs!

Ignorant question part 1: TX, is that Texas Edition?
Part 2: If yes, they sell those in Cali?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #63
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Ignorant question part 1: TX, is that Texas Edition?
Part 2: If yes, they sell those in Cali?
No. It is just an over priced package. Check out Toyota.com for full details on it.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #64
Wesper is on a distinguished road

Wesper's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a survey from Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

Shows the Goodyear SA's and Firestone Destinations scoring well ahead of the BFGs. fwiw
Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #66
Big D is on a distinguished road
Name: daniel
Big D's Tacoma Gallery
bfgs' are crap compared to silent armor. the only people who say otherwize have never owned a set. I have and can tell you the goodyear is by far the better tire. the rides better, the tractions better, the mileage warranty is better, and in my opinion the goodyear looks better.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #68
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Don't mind that one. He doesn't own tires.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #69
Roll Tide!
travis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
travis9287's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to travis9287
i like my Hankook DynaPro ATms.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #70
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin LTX AT2
Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #71
Mytoyo2
mytoyo2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Frank
mytoyo2's Tacoma Gallery
ive got cooper atr their great cant 2 wear them out so i can get me sum bfgs they look tough and seem to last a long time
Old 10-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #73
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
i have had my BFG AT's for a few years now and i have to say "they aren't worth shit for wet handling"

very unpredictable

sometimes they will not get traction, sometimes they will skid.
i have had to change my driving in wet to a very cautious style....never had to do this before with any other tire.

i have been eyeballing the Silentarmors
Old 10-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #74
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I went with theses: http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/...hp?product=658

or company site
http://www.herculestire.com/catalogH...rraTracAT.html

Wanted better the stock dunlops, AT and a C load range , very nice tread, very quite.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #75
rexel is on a distinguished road
rexel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
bfgs' are crap compared to silent armor. the only people who say otherwize have never owned a set. I have and can tell you the goodyear is by far the better tire. the rides better, the tractions better, the mileage warranty is better, and in my opinion the goodyear looks better.

I have had BFG's on several trucks and bought a Jeep with Silent Armour and had major balancing issues...even the guys at the Goodyear tire shop said that they have had troubles balancing other Silent Armours. Needless to say I bought new tires and gave them away.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #76
coloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
coloradotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I know everbody drives in different situations and conditions, but here are my thoughts on the two tires. Living in Colorado I drive a lot of different conditions during all seasons. I travel daily on unpaved/unmaintained roads as well as lots of travel into the mountains in winter as well as summer. The average snowfall in my area is 200 inches but thats deceiving because it rarely comes down in less than 2' increments. We have frequent high wind conditions (30-60 MPH) with ground snow leaving some areas completely clear and some with 3'-8' drifts. We get spring wet snows that can be almost unpassable due to weight and depth. During bad storms I carry my Husqvarna snow thrower in the back of my truck for weight as well as the chance I might need to blow out a drifted road to get through. My mechanic covinced me to put a pair of silent armors on to replace a pair of BFG's a while back claiming that they were much better in the snow. I used them 6 months and sold them to get BFG's. The Goodyears preformed poorly on slick packed snow, as well in wet snow. They were about even with the BFG's in deep light snow conditions. However, the biggest reason was the lack of weight and strength of the tire and its sidewall. They did not hold up well to towing, plowing and heavy loads and were poor at best with chains. (I can hear some of you now, "If the tires were any good you wouldn't need chains". Well if that works for you great. But come drive what I drive before you judge.) Granted I was using them on a different truck as I did not have my Tacoma yet but I do not believe they would have acted much differently and I use my Tacoma for many of the same tasks. Both preformed well on paved roads and at high speeds but the silent armors tended to drift more and wear unevenly. I have used BFG's for many years and I wont stray again.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 AM   #77
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
crap i voted the wrangler..... thinking it was the dura trac...BFG's are a good tire but honestly ill get the Goodyear Dura trac's. trust me, they will look really nice on your tacoma... if your thinking in putting them on you tacoma... i got them check it out
Old 12-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #79
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta say i really don't like the wrangler dura trac..They have no traction on wet surfaces. Maybe my truck is too light and the tires don't bite..don't know..all i know is i slide allover the damn place..

the bfg's are the same way..very sketchy in the corners on wet asphalt and pavement..

Im thinking of a 10 ply silent armor tire would be better.. i ve used them before.. and they are great in wet conditions and hold up to gravel well.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #80
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELLIM View Post
the bfg's are the same way..very sketchy in the corners on wet asphalt and pavement..
i don't trust my BFG's at all in the rain

Products Discussed in this Thread