BFGoodrich A/T KO vs Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

View Poll Results: Which tires?
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 607 78.22%
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor 111 14.30%
Other (post in thread) 58 7.47%
Voters: 776. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #81
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Rus
ruslanus's Tacoma Gallery
It's like a tug-of-war, back and forth, BFG's and Dura Trac's. I really need to make a choice and soon. I will be driving to Alaska in March and need to replace my Rugged Fails with a tire that will handle pavement, wet, snow and possible ice. I know, no single tire will be able to handle all. I just need a tire that will handle good enough to get me home. I was set on Michelin LTX A/T2 and now I'm leaning towards Dura Tracks, does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #82
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=11&g=1

Check these tires out ^

http://www.neow.net/trxus_review.html

This is a great review on this tire ^

Take a look, im very interested in this tire... would of bought them years ago.. but my dealer had hard time getting a hold of them.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #83
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Rus
ruslanus's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, very interesting
Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #84
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about to buy tires, too. I've wanted Duratracs for awhile but common sense is getting the better of me. I don't need them at all and I rarely go offroad so it would be just for looks. Am leaning towards Silentarmors now. Have considered the BFG's but I'm finding the SA's much cheaper since a couple of rebates out there.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #85
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslanus View Post
It's like a tug-of-war, back and forth, BFG's and Dura Trac's. I really need to make a choice and soon. I will be driving to Alaska in March and need to replace my Rugged Fails with a tire that will handle pavement, wet, snow and possible ice. I know, no single tire will be able to handle all. I just need a tire that will handle good enough to get me home. I was set on Michelin LTX A/T2 and now I'm leaning towards Dura Tracks, does anyone have any suggestions?
I have the BFG's and love them. However there a bunch of guys/gals in a local club I belong to that swear by the Duratrac's. There is also a recent 4X4 magazine that gave them a really awesome rating over all. Sorry I can not remember the name of the magazine but it is recent and you could probably check your local store.

I might try the Duratrac's as my next tire. Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #86
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
The Duratrac is a desent tire for deep snow, unsure about deep mud .
I thought that they had poor traction on wet and icey conditions.
It may be due to the weight factor or theory. Ive got 10 ply tires.
I know that the people who were plowing snow had Good luck with
The Duratrac, but they all were running heavy loaded trucks.

The other thing about the tire is that Its rather heavy and would
drag on fuel milage.
Im interested in the Pro Series SilentArmour that is 10 ply.
Ive had C rated SA before and they had a lot of sidewall flex wich made
the tire feel like it was all over the place when you drove through fast corners.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #87
dfxdig is on a distinguished road

Army: sp4 15th trans
dfxdig's Tacoma Gallery
tried my first set of bfg all terrain on my 97 dakota, worked so good i bought a second set for my 06 tacoma. never had a flat and been through some sh#t.
about 130,000 miles and nar a peep out them bad boy's.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #88
MJTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
MJTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just got a craigslist deal on a set of pro grade GYSAs. They only have 6k miles on them. So far, love them. I could easily get my BFG ATs to break loose starting out on turns in the rain, but could not get the GYSAs to lose traction in the same situation. However, I do not find them very silent-bout as noisy as the BFGs that had about 50% tread left...
Attached Thumbnails
BFGoodrich A/T KO vs Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor-sa-pic.jpg  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #89
MJTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
MJTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
I did not have the pro series either tho..
Out of curiosity what pressure did you run. I had nice even wear on my e load BFGs at 33psi, this is what my e load SAs are currently at and it seems pretty good. Have tried 38 and 35, which were no good- stiff ride and rode on only the middle of the tread...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #90
161RiverRat is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Sgt
Name: Scott
161RiverRat's Tacoma Gallery
Have had both..currently have silent armors on the truck..both have good tread wear, but BFG's better make sure to rotate frequently or will cup. The Goodies have a 50k warranty & Sears will pro rate when you feel to replace. Also the Goodies can be found at a nice price when they offer the $80 mail in rebate. BFG's are alot stiffer ride with more wheel hop!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #91
Strider is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Ramp Dog
Name: Pete
Strider's Tacoma Gallery
I always put on the BFG's but they don't list any for 18" rims. Anyone else find this? I only looked online so it might not be actual.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #92
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
Gysa are holding up alright for me. 31000 km or just shy of 20k miles. Keep in the pressure. I had my fronts up at 40 for a while and the centers wore much quicker. 35 is is good up front. 32 is more than enough for the rear unloaded.

I have the pro grade (load range e) am they do tend to wander a bit with the lower pressure. Snow traction is decent. Ice is marginal for full on winter use.

FYI pro grade is a Hefty tire. 51 pounds in the 265/70/16 size. They definitely affect mileage. That said Ive driven over some nasty stuff and never got a flat. Had a Steel shard embed itself but the tire held air fine until it was removed and plugged.

Next set I will likely try the duratrac in the 75 series. C rated.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #93

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
You may loose on ice traction if you go with Duratrac tires..
I've got e rated 265 / 75/ 16 and they slide and hydroplane
In wet and icey conditions even at aired down ..
Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #94
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
Thats interesting, I would have thought they would be better than the silent armours.

The biggest thing i've noticed with the gysa in pro grade (E) is they don't like the lower air pressures. I'd ran E rated wild country xtx's on my 98 and they seemed to handle better. They were the 235/85/16. Pumped up the gysa's track well and ride decent if not a little harsh (hey its an e rated tire) but will wear funky. Lower the pressure for proper wear and they do feel soft.. to me at least. Ride is smother but they drift. (that said it could be my truck is loosening up... i've had these on for all but 1000km of owning the truck.)
Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #95
subwayaz is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft, Maint
subwayaz's Tacoma Gallery
I like the BFG's that came on my new Taco. I had a set of GoodYears on my Corolla and really didn't care for them
Old 07-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #96
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Is it true that the BFG for example 265/75R16 run larger then other tire MFG's 265/75R16???
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #97
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a comparison pic from when I swapped my tundra tires out.

GY SAs are off the truck. They are P275/65/R18 w/ about 8k on them. Not pro grade or LT. They were mounted on stock 18" steel wheels.

BFG KO A/T are the rock warrior package LT285/70R17E w/ 500 miles on them. Mounted on RW forged alloy 17" wheels.

This is my first set of BFG KOs.
I love the way the truck handles with these tires in all conditions so far.
No issues except picking up stones.
I will be putting dedicated winters tires on the steelies. The GYSAs did ok but we had a very mild winter.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #98
pkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Pete
pkjr's Tacoma Gallery
My facts to report. Stock 2012 5-lug regular cab, with 20K miles on 235/75-15 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's on factory steelies, driving on everything except snow/ice.... it's too hot here in the desert for that stuff.

I chose the Goodyear's for the extra tread protection they add over the BFG's.... same number of plies, but Goodyear adds an extra Kevlar layer. No punctures in all my miles, on or off road.

The BFG's do have better sidewall protection, but I'm not a rock crawling or curb bashing style of driver.

Dry road performance is great, and I'm impressed with wet road performance, too. Check out the lines for water displacement between the two tread patterns. ^^^

Not much mud driving to report. Only some wet forest roads but without incident.

Daily driving performance is smooth and quiet, even with Interstate driving out of State for hours at a time.

Here's a photo I took today using my truck/Goodyear's to explore several sand washes in the desert west of Phoenix, AZ.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #100

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
I've got gysa pro grade, they are smooth going down the road
A bit loud not like gydt, but they like to throw rocks.
They corner well at high speeds they don't hydroplane as bad
The gydt. Ill have to see how they handel in the ice and snow.
I'm running 31 psi in the front and 34 psi in the rear. The psi is subject to change due to Iowa winter conditions, if We get any..LOL

I already put about 200 lbs of sand bag weight in the truck box.
Hope it snows a bit, We need the moisture.

Products Discussed in this Thread