BFGoodrich A/T KO vs Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

View Poll Results: Which tires?
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 608 78.15%
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor 111 14.27%
Other (post in thread) 59 7.58%
Voters: 778. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #102
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
I had the GoodYear Wranglet silent armour on my other truck, they were great in the beginning, but, after around 35,000 miles, they were horrible and scary in the rain and snow.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #103
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleTRDtaco12 View Post
Love my cooper a/t3's great tire, the bfg's are an awesome quality tire but suck, so badly on road and are terrible in the rain.
Hmmm so have you ever aired down with the ATs. These are some of the best tires Ive seen in snow. I run 10.5 psi in the snow and 12 anywhere else. I used to think they were garbage until I aired down.
With that said they still pack mud too much to be effective in the thick and if you drive aggressive they will wear down quick.
Not gonna say they are the best of course but I have put them to good use.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #104
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleTRDtaco12 View Post
Love my cooper a/t3's great tire, the bfg's are an awesome quality tire but suck, so badly on road and are terrible in the rain.

I have to disagree my BFG AT's are awesome on the road noise is very minimal and I think my traction in the rain is great.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #105
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalimited View Post
I had the GoodYear Wranglet silent armour on my other truck, they were great in the beginning, but, after around 35,000 miles, they were horrible and scary in the rain and snow.
Those things suck sweaty balls... Had them on an old truck of mine. Worst tires I've had on a vehicle. We also run them on our SUV's at work... Complete junk
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #106
Just a man and his truck
FLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant future

Navy: GSM
Name: JJ
FLtaco24's Tacoma Gallery
I worked at Goodyear for almost two year, I had a set of Duratracs 285/60/20, my mom put on a set of Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor. We only bought tires from Goodyear only because of my employee discount. But both tires proved to be a big waste of money, Duratacs faded just over a year and the Fortera didn't last long either. I started off as general service tech, and worked my way up to a general maintenance tech. Goodyear has a contract with most law enforcement agency's and we put tires on local sheriff, local PD's, Florida Wild Patrol, and some state troopers that were in the area. We would supply the Silent Armors for FWC and majority of the officers hated the tires, always complaining, coming to the store and making us try and fix the problem or replace the tire with new ones. Local sheriff deputies would come in and ask for tire quotes and ask not to give a price for the Silent Armors cause they have heard or experienced how bad the tire are. All in all I would not recommend things tires.

You can't go bad with a Bfgoodrich. An extremely good tire.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #107
bzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to behold
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
cooper st maxx, dick cepek fc 2...
Old 09-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #108
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
BFGR! Hands down!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #109
Hbr01 is a jewel in the roughHbr01 is a jewel in the roughHbr01 is a jewel in the roughHbr01 is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Badass
Name: Brian
Hbr01's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned both the Silent Armor hands down on road for a quiet smooth ride it was like night and day when I replaced my BFGs, almost like a new truck and suspension difference. The BFGs had a very harsh ride in a single cab pre runner, I think it was due to a combination of things that caused it, light truck+larger than stock tires, high load range and steel belts. But I think the truck weight caused most of it.

The BFGs are awesome tires don't get me wrong, I replaced mine after 80k+ miles after I found a chunk of metal (2x3" chunk) I had ran over at some point it was pretty much completely imbedded in the tire when I pulled it out, it didn't even phase the tire and it held pressure with no leaks what so ever, I was pretty impressed. My biggest turn off with them like I said was the extremely harsh loud ride on the truck.

The silent armors have an awesome ride on the road but lower load rating and a milder tread pattern, mine came with a tow warranty if I ever got stuck off-roading in them Goodyear would send a tow truck for free, I thought it was ridiculous so I never read the fine print on that, and I never got stuck. I only had them for about 20k miles before I sold the truck so can't comment on long term wear or tread life.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #110
Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animal...
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
You don't want to buy the Silent Armors anyway; they're being discontinued and replaced by the Wrangler AT Adventure.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #111
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Really like my GYSA's. Have 40,000 miles on them in a year and a half. Maybe half the tread, if that, is worn away, can see getting easy 80,000 miles out of these. 275/70r/17's great in sand and on road, 'bout all I have to run on except deep, DEEP mud, so no.
Get this tire in a LT size, so your not running a car tire on a truck...
Old 10-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #112
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
hankook
Old 10-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #113
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
There is a recall for some sizes of the silent armor
But I have not seen a complete discontinue on making the tire.
I have a set of the PRO Grade tires and they run just fine, ya just gotta remember that when you air down you get that wishy washy feeling going around corners. You get used to it, I rather run the silent armor than any other tire in wet slimy conditions then any other tire.

Why would you run silent armor in south FL, I'd run something for wet traction, their is 98 percent pavement/tarmac and a bit of off roading other than that you need a air boat.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #114
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELLIM View Post
There is a recall for some sizes of the silent armor
But I have not seen a complete discontinue on making the tire.

I have a set of the PRO Grade tires and they run just fine, ya just gotta remember that when you air down you get that wishy washy feeling going around corners. You get used to it, I rather run the silent armor than any other tire in wet slimy conditions then any other tire.

Why would you run silent armor in south FL, I'd run something for wet traction, their is 98 percent pavement/tarmac and a bit of off roading other than that you need a air boat.
I work for a tire wholesaler; Goodyear gave us an alert a couple of months ago that they were discontinuing the majority of the Silent Armor sizes, because they were rolling out the new Wrangler All Terrain Adventure. It's a bummer, because the SA's are one of our more popular GY products.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #115
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
Were they going to keep the pro grade series?
Wonder what the problem was? Too much side wall flex...
Hope that the new tire is better..
Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELLIM View Post
Were they going to keep the pro grade series?
Wonder what the problem was? Too much side wall flex...
Hope that the new tire is better..
From what they've told us, they're keeping it (for now) in a couple of pretty limited sizes. Not sure which ones they're keeping or not, or whether they're the pro-grade models.

I DO know that the new AT Adventure does come with the Pro Grade designation on the LT versions. Has an extra layer of Kevlar and more steel in the belts.

I'm not sure that they were replacing it because there was a problem with the tire; Goodyear has this annoying habit of "refreshing" their product lineup every so often, and they've had the Silent Armor for 10 years or so. Same thing with their Assurance line of passenger car tires; they just introduced a new Tripletred last year, even though there wasn't anything 'wrong' per se with the old Tripletred. They just put some more technology into the new tire.

The AT Adventure has a different rubber compound than the old SA's, has a different Kevlar formula, and a different tread design. Apparently they've got better traction in snow, rain, and ice. They also are supposed to be quieter on the road. One of the complaints we used to get with the old SA's was that they had a tendency to get noisy once they got worn about 1/2 way, so hopefully GY's addressed that with the new tire.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #117
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
I work for a tire wholesaler; Goodyear gave us an alert a couple of months ago that they were discontinuing the majority of the Silent Armor sizes, because they were rolling out the new Wrangler All Terrain Adventure. It's a bummer, because the SA's are one of our more popular GY products.
Tell Goodyear to make the duratrac in a 275/70/17!!

No loss with the silent armors... Those things were terrible.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Tell Goodyear to make the duratrac in a 275/70/17!!

No loss with the silent armors... Those things were terrible.
That's a dead size. Nobody really builds much in a 275/70R17 anymore. Kind of like expecting the big tire manufacturers to start making new tires in 30x9.50's again.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #119
I'd rather be skiing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
That's a dead size. Nobody really builds much in a 275/70R17 anymore. Kind of like expecting the big tire manufacturers to start making new tires in 30x9.50's again.
BFG AT's, Hancook ATM's and Cooper A/T 3. Good tires but I'd like the duratrac and the 275/70 seems to be the perfect fit.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #120
x67934 has a spectacular aura aboutx67934 has a spectacular aura about

Army: 10th MTN Div.
x67934's Tacoma Gallery
It is important to note that the BFGs only come in LT so they are heavier and require much higher pressures where the Silent Armors can be found in P rated sizes. Make sure you understand the difference before you buy a much heavier tire just because they look cooler. Only you know what you really need.

Products Discussed in this Thread