Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor 110 14.21%
Other (post in thread) 58 7.49%
Voters: 774. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
cranky is on a distinguished road
cranky's Tacoma Gallery
BFGoodrich A/T KO vs Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

Hi everybody--been lurking here for the past week or so finding out what I need for my new (to me) Tacoma. Its a 2006 TX Edition double cab longbed. No off road package, no lift, pretty stock. Anyway, I need this truck to get me to fishing spots 25-30 miles off road, a few times a year. These roads are pretty well maintained, but do travel through some washes and so sand traction is important to me, much more than snow/ice. Nothing too crazy though, and I drive like a grandma

I found some wheels to replace the 20" that are on there now, and need to make a final decision on the tires. Seems like "you can't go wrong" with the BFGs, and I'm reading a lot of reviews for the Goodyears saying "best tires I've ever had"

What do you guys think I should go with?

BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=8

Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=9

Thanks in advance
Old 04-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
thekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thekidcatcher's Tacoma Gallery
Out of those two I would say get the BFG's. i have had a set of those and they were a great tire for the type and price. Also depends on the type of driving you are going to be doing, but regardless they are a great all around tire.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
5vzrider00 is on a distinguished road
5vzrider00's Tacoma Gallery
I love my BFG's. Quiet ride on road and great performance off road. A little pricey but worth it IMO. Not to mention they have a tough look
Old 04-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
im gonna put my vote out there for a set of bridgestone dueler a/t revo's............awesome tires!!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
TX
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
Bfgs!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
I voted BFG, they are awesome. I love the ride and they are great off road in my opinion.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:06 AM   #7
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Both these tires are rated as an on/off road all-terrain but once you see these in person, you will notice a big difference in these two tires.

The BFG have more max load range, tread & weigh more (2835, 16/32/, 51lbs, 65psi) than the Silent Armors (2403, 14/32, 44lbs, 44psi). A tire that compares to it is like a General Grabber AT2.

My truck & your truck is very similiar (stock, no lift, minimal off road) and I have Goodyear Silent Armors. I bought them to replace the stock dunlops. Wanted something that was close to stock tire weight & not as beefy as the BFGs. I got recommendations from folks on the forums, then went to a tire shop & looked for myself. My 20k report on the Silent Armors are minimal road noise, no balance issues, worn excellent, handles well in all types of road conditions. Even though the tire is snowflake rated (i know not important to you) it was good, def not a replacement for snow tires. That was probably the only drawback in my application.

Also the cost difference between these two tires is about $30+/-.

So I voted Goodyears though the BFG are bad@ss looking tires in person plus will predict be the winner here in a landslide
Old 04-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both the BFG KO's and the Silent Armors... Of the 2, the silent armors were a better tire for me...

I voted for these, though:

Big O Bigfoot AT's
Old 04-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
rpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to behold

rpoint16's Tacoma Gallery
I can't quote specs on tires, but I have had nothing but good luck with BFG AT/KO's. I off road around sharp rocks sometimes & have plenty of minor cuts & tears, but no sidewall penetration. They ride nice on the street. Do As well as possible in mud & snow. They never chunk.

I had a flat in my back right a couple of years ago on the trail, I with the stiff sidewall it still held form.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
cranky's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the comments, I just wanted to add the pricing I've been quoted: BFG $173/ea, GY $187/ea. Seems like a great price for the BFGs.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I love my BFG A/Ts so much. They are a great tire.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Thanks for the comments, I just wanted to add the pricing I've been quoted: BFG $173/ea, GY $187/ea. Seems like a great price for the BFGs.

DAMN! What size?! That's an excellent price! Where is that quote from?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #13
Stops Jihad on Contact.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
im gonna put my vote out there for a set of bridgestone dueler a/t revo's............awesome tires!!

This would be my advice too. I have a set and really like them.

But between the choices....probably the Goodyear SilentArmor Wranglers.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
cranky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
DAMN! What size?! That's an excellent price! Where is that quote from?
Sears... now for the bad news. I went with the BFG, paid, and they said the tires would be there wednesday. They just called back to say that was the clearance pricing for a discontinued item. The new model is $213 ea.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #15

They should still give you the discounted price. That's not like them. I got a quote from Sears for that price as well, but brought in a paper that said I could get them for $190 from Discount Tire and they only charged me $190. You might want to try that.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #16
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Sears... now for the bad news. I went with the BFG, paid, and they said the tires would be there wednesday. They just called back to say that was the clearance pricing for a discontinued item. The new model is $213 ea.
That sucks...

I paid $700 out the door for my Big O AT's - mounted, lifetime balance, filled w/ nitrogen, and the full 3yr free replacement road hazard warranty...
Old 04-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #17
canuck_tacoma will become famous soon enough
canuck_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Wrangler Duratrac's!! Check these out. I do love my BFG's though.

http://www.goodyear.ca/pdf/WranglerDuraTrac.pdf

Old 04-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #19
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the BFGs and love them. They are quiet on the road and handle great off-road. I've had these on for about 4 years, and the tread wear is great! Also, I think they just look cooler. I've always had MTs on my truck before I bought these tires, but decided to buy the ATs since I now live in the city and don't do as much off roading as I used to.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #20
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
iam with him ^^^^^^ Bridgestone revos

Products Discussed in this Thread