Tire Ideas: Aggressive but not too aggressive

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
AMtaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
AMtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Ideas: Aggressive but not too aggressive

Hello Gang,
Have a barca 2010 double cab 2x4 taco. I'm ready to replace my factory tires with something new and functional. I'm on the road alot (500 miles a week) but want a tire that has a bit of bite. Been getting alot of weird looks lately as I stare at other peoples tire labels. Is there a tire y'all recommend? Or maybe a photo thread on here that I could stare at without getting my ass kicked? Thanks!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
DuraTracs are really nice. They are a pretty aggressive AT check them out.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
andlours is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
andlours's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper ST Maxx
Old 07-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
kodiak141 is on a distinguished road
kodiak141's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook dynapro rf10
Old 07-17-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
love my duratracs. for mileage/longevity though, i'd recommend bfg a/t.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
wrangler authority

Old 07-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #8
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
BFG KO AT. I recommend them based on excellent on road ride at freeway speed. Smooth at 80mph. Good wear. I got 50k from my last ones and still had usable/legal tread.

Not the best offroad tire but a great all-around performer. I do 90% of my driving on road and I wouldn't run any other tire.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:00 AM   #9
blazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blazze2005's Tacoma Gallery
Im going with the Yokohama Geolander AT-S
The 265/65/17 weighs in at 41 lbs.
I love the look of the cooper stx maxx, but they weigh 53 lbs. because they are a 10 ply tire.
Your gonna have to stick around that 40 lb. mark so you don't loose mpg

Here is a good shot of the Geolander AT-S, I will post up some actual pics of this tire in the stock tire size Next week after my wheels and tires arrive

Old 07-18-2014, 03:02 AM   #10
fau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to all
Name: Tom
fau8823's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Hankook ATMs and love em. However, I'm going a little more beefy next time with the Goodyear Wrangler Authorities. Great reviews on it and a little more aggressive.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:22 AM   #12
SteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Ground Radar Systems Craftsman
Name: Steve
SteveO86's Tacoma Gallery
After asking a bunch of the guys on here what the best tire for the north was, I just submitted my order for 5 General Grabber AT2 tires. They look fairly aggressive and I hear they are the best all year tire too.

I borrowed this pic from someone else's page...
Old 07-18-2014, 03:57 AM   #13
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Love my MTRs. Really aggressive AT tires. Put 6-700 miles on a week. Try to wheel, even just a little bit, once a week. 305/70r/17's, can still knock down 19 mpg if I try hard. Surprisingly quite and smooth, considering the tread. Have almost 10k miles on them and they still look great, wearing well all around.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:06 AM   #14
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Currently I'm running GY Pro Grade Wrangler Silent Armors for my Summer tire and I'm very pleased with them; I'll replace them with Duratracs when the time comes. For Winter I run Blizzaks.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #15
AMtaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
AMtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate the input and the photos. Did the math and I'm putting 1000 miles a week if that changes anything.

Does anyone know of a site that will simulate these tires on my model? TireRack.com lets you see various rims but not tires.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:22 AM   #16
Just enough knowledge to be dangerous
melissa0031 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmelissa0031 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmelissa0031 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmelissa0031 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmelissa0031 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmelissa0031 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmelissa0031 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmelissa0031 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmelissa0031 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmelissa0031 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmelissa0031 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: melissa
melissa0031's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Currently I'm running GY Pro Grade Wrangler Silent Armors for my Summer tire and I'm very pleased with them; I'll replace them with Duratracs when the time comes. For Winter I run Blizzaks.
Knew I was in good company love my silent armors
Old 07-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #17
Bowhuntercoop is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Bowhuntercoop's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper ATP or the yoko ats. I've had both and they both performed great.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #18
Huntn57 is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
Huntn57's Tacoma Gallery
i just got copper at3 any love them so far they go good and they have a 55k tread warranty
Old 07-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #19
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
Love my MTRs. Really aggressive AT tires. Put 6-700 miles on a week. Try to wheel, even just a little bit, once a week. 305/70r/17's, can still knock down 19 mpg if I try hard. Surprisingly quite and smooth, considering the tread. Have almost 10k miles on them and they still look great, wearing well all around.
mtr's are not an at tire, they are an mt.

To answer the OPs question I have the Wrangler Authority's. Basically the duratrac but made for Walmart. I have no complaints, and they are fantastic in the snow. They can be loud on the highway, but my 1st gen is not quiet to begin with. They have taken a ton of abuse and are still going strong. Lots of gouges, cuts etc... They have about 45k miles on them right now and are at 10-11/32nds. Rotated every 5k miles.

The General grabber at2's also get a lot of really good reviews online. Less aggressive than the Authority's, but don't look like old man tires. I'm picking up a set of the at2s for DD duty next week.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #20
karmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud of
Name: Trevor
karmatp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntercoop View Post
Cooper ATP or the yoko ats. I've had both and they both performed great.

I am running the Cooper ATP's from Discount Tire right now and they are nice. Aggressive but not over the top, pretty quiet and pretty smooth on the road at all speeds, great for a AT tire.

Products Discussed in this Thread