1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does the TPMS require all five tires have the same pressure?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by mwcet8k, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Apr 13, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    mwcet8k

mwcet8k [OP] Member

Member:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC 4wd
    None yet, but soon a small lift and 18" KMC rims w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers
    I just lifted my '06 Taco and installed a set of aftermarket wheels/tires. A few hours after picking my truck up from the shop that did the work, my TPMS light came on. I just assumed the shop forgot to reset it, so I did that myself, but the light remains on. I verified that they did transfer the sensors to the new wheels.

Question - does the TPMS require that all five tires have the same pressure? Since I'm running bigger aftermarket tires, but still have the OEM spare, they probably aren't running at the same pressure. Will this keep the light on, even after resetting the TPMS?

2. Apr 13, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    does the tpms work with your new wheels??? some dont work with aftermarket wheels

3. Apr 13, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    The TPMS set the light off if there is a DIFFERENCE in pressure between two or more tires. So yes, they all have to be within the same tolerance.

4. Apr 13, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    and as long as the wheels are the same material as the old ones (Steel, alloy etc) the TPMS will work

5. Apr 13, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Hopefully the shop didn't damage one of the monitors while transferring it to your new wheels. Discount tire broke one of mine doing that so the light wouldn't go off no matter what. I made them order a new one for me and replace it.

6. Apr 13, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    As long as the sensors fit-I haven't heard any issues with people running TPMS..

7. Apr 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM
    mwcet8k

mwcet8k [OP] Member

Member:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC 4wd
    Yeah, the sensors fit the new wheels. I'll check the tire pressure on the spare. I'm sure that's it. Thanks all!

8. Apr 14, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    ryork

ryork Active Member

Member:
    Let me know what you figure out with that because I don't think you can put that much pressure in the oem spare to match the aftermarket tires if you got a lot bigger size. I'm in the same boat.

9. Apr 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM
    mainland_newfie

mainland_newfie Mainland Newfie

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    skid plate, side step rails, new rims, hose clamp, 20% tint, G4 Tonneau cover, JVC 7 in double din stereo/dvd
    well my light doesn't go off, I went from 16 inch alloys, to chrome 285 /50/ 20's, I still have the original spare under the truck and still it doesnt' go off. Great question though I never would have thought to ask

10. Apr 14, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    What pressure are you running in the 4 new tires??

11. Apr 14, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    ryork

ryork Active Member

Member:
    I don't know about the other guy but I have the same issue and the stock tires run about 32 psi and the new ones are bfg all-terrains and they have a max of 65psi but I don't get them put on till friday so I'm not sure what I will run. I'm sure somewhere in the 50's so it will be much more then the stock spare. So what do you do to fix this?

12. Apr 14, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    This thread is another reason why I will disable the light haha

13. Apr 14, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    ryork

ryork Active Member

Member:
    I'm fine with that too. How do you do that? The dealership said you can't

14. Apr 14, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    its failry easy, there are ways to appease the TPMS sensor with wheel barrow tires and similar contraptions, but I want the light gone all together haha. When i go into my dash to change the gauge color I am just going to unsoldier the LED for the TPMS sensor

15. Apr 17, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    mwcet8k

mwcet8k [OP] Member

Member:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC 4wd
    OP chiming in. Looks like I actually have a leak in one of my new tires. So the TPMS worked exactly as it should. Imagine that! I checked the pressure of all five tires and the right rear was only at 25 psi. The new tires are supposed to be at 40 psi, so I aired it up and the TPMS light turned off right away.

Frustrating that a brand new wheel/tire combo would immediately have a leak, but I'm sure the shop will cover it.

16. Apr 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    SuperD

SuperD Mall Cruiser Pilot

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    ProComp 6" Stage II, 18x9 Moto Metal 955's, Cooper Discoverer STT 305/60R18, K&N FIPK, Go-Rhino Stainless side steps, Redline Elite hood struts, Magnaflow muffler, Delta Alum. Toolbox, Husky Liners F/R, Window tint
    If my spare has a sensor, then this is not true. My spare has the stock tire pressure and all of my other tires have 60 psi in them.

17. Apr 17, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Didn't they do away with the sensor in the spare for the 09's

Products Discussed in

To Top